Tue, Oct 22, 5:49 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 3:26 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Grid and object size/scale issues ...

YURdigital ( ) posted Thu, 06 January 2011 at 6:37 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 5:26 AM

Hi everyone.

I posted this over at DAZ and received one reply.

I was hoping my friends at Renderosity might have some suggestions.

I'm having some serious problems with object size/scaling between the assembly room and modeling rooms.

If I create a spline object and go into the modeling room. Set the Grid at Spacing 1.00 ft and Draw a Line Every 1 then create a very simple object.
Lets say a 1ft x 1ft x 1ft square.
Basically the square I make in the spline modeling room is 1 grid square in size based on my grid settings.

When I exit the modeling room and go back into the assembly room the square is enormous.
Setting the grid in the assembly room the same as listed above the square shows as 12ft x 12ft x 12ft.
The size shown in the Transform tab also shows 12ft x 12ft x 12ft.
If I'm thinking correctly it looks like it should be 12in x 12in x 12in.

Is this a bug or am I being stupid or maybe something else.
I've searched the forums and read a bunch in the PDF manual but haven't been able to locate the answer. I did find some discrepancies in the documentation where it says grid setting are in inches and then a few sentences down it starts talking about the grid being in feet.
Needless to say I'm about to start banging my head into my desk.
Sad

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and Carrara Pro 8.0.1 Build 45 (64-bit)

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Clint

GKDantas ( ) posted Thu, 06 January 2011 at 6:59 AM

I did a try here and look that the Grid in the Spline Room is different from the Assembler Room really. So I set the grid in Spline to spacing 1ft and draw a line every 1. This way I could draw a box with 1 X 1 X1 ft that have the exact size when at Assembler Room.

Follow me at euQfiz Digital

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Thu, 06 January 2011 at 7:04 AM

Hi Clint,

Since I can't see you scene, I'll take a guess at what is going on. 

When you start a project, you can choose between 3 scene scales: small, medium and large. Regardless of which one you pick, the presentation of the Assembly room is always the same. However, the Spline and Vertex rooms will present at different scales that you set independently while in the modelers. 

So, if you started your scene with the Small scale, the entire Assembly room grid is 30x30 inches. A 1' cube will take up more than a third of the Assembly room.

Mark

YURdigital ( ) posted Thu, 06 January 2011 at 7:53 AM · edited Thu, 06 January 2011 at 7:53 AM

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply.

I started a Medium scene which I think is 30' x 30'.

I just dont understand why when I model something in the modeling room at a specific scale 1' x 1' x 1' and then exit back to the assembly room its not the same scale as it is in the modeling room. its 12' x 12' x 12'.

:(

Arent the grids used in the modeling room and assembly room suppose to be the same scale when I set both of them to the same spacing?

I think I'm going to jump off the roof now...back in a few.  ;)

Clint

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Thu, 06 January 2011 at 7:58 AM

There is something else going on because I'm not having the same experience when trying it here. It's probably some "duh!" oversite. :D

YURdigital ( ) posted Thu, 06 January 2011 at 8:19 AM · edited Thu, 06 January 2011 at 8:21 AM

Yea - I must have fried that brain cell or something cause I'm having a hell of a hard time figuring out whats going on.

I checked all my preferences in Carrara, read documentation and have spent way to much time looking at the screen going "WTF is going on".

Ok - I just created a small screen 30" x 30" and it works fine.

I created a medium sceen 30' x 30'.
Tried again and the same issue.
I've got the grid in the Modeling room set to Spacing 1ft and Draw a line every 1.
I create a box thats 1 grid square in size (X,Y & Z) so that should be a 12" x 12" x 12" (1ft x 1ft x 1ft) square based on the grid settings.
In the modeling rooms General tab the size is listed as Width 12ft and Height 12ft same thing in the assembly room.

So it looks like the Grid settings are incorrect in the modeling room when in a "Medium Scene". I dont have the Spacing set to 12ft for the grid....WTF.

My brain hurts.  LOL...

YURdigital ( ) posted Thu, 06 January 2011 at 8:31 AM

Ok - More research.

Even more bizarre.

I just created a large scene.

Set the grid in the modeling room to 1ft and draw every 1.

Create a box thats 1x1x1 grid space (whcih should give me a 1x1x1 ft box) and it shows the box as 1,200ft x 1,200ft in the modeling room...but that is not what I have the grid size set to.
Exit the modeling room and its shown as 1,200 x 1,200 x 1,200 feet in the assembly room as well.

Maybe I'll just stick to using Small Scene settings since that seems to be the only one that works or I can wrap my head around.

sparrownightmare ( ) posted Thu, 06 January 2011 at 9:28 AM

I feel for you.  This has been one of my major Carrara peeves since it first came out.  Scales in all of the various modeling rooms and the assembly room SHOULD by default be matched, but for some reason known only to themselves, Daz and the previous developers have left it this way which is annoying as heck.  It should be one scale.  If you change it in one room, then you change it in all of them automatically.  I can not think of one single reason why someone would want to have different scales in each room...  It makes it very difficult to get the relative size and scale the same between different objects without having to resize them.

Kixum ( ) posted Sat, 08 January 2011 at 6:59 AM

Carrara used to have no unit component to it at all.  It was a unitless program.  Then around version 4 or 5 (or so), the code all of a sudden introduced feet and inches and everything that I made in earlier versions got all screwed up.

This issue continues to get worse as the code has evolved this concept of scene size.  I don't fully comprehend the value of having the option of scene size.  I don't think it has any value at all in terms of the way it's been utilized in the code.

It seems to me that it would have been a lot easier to just reset the grid in the assembly room to different settings to manage assembling "big" things/scenes or "little" things/scenes.  As it is now, It's just kind of messed up.

I don't know if this particular feature was done in order to manage the importation of models from other packages or not (I have no idea).  A few more user options to manage this situation would have been nicer.

As it is now, I think it would be nice to have a global rescaling tool.  When I pull up my old models, sometimes I have to rescale them by several 1000 percent to get them to scale with other newer parts (it's stupid).  I would like to rescale a model permanently without having to live with screwy huge scaling properties all the time with old parts.

So, I don't know if there are bugs in the code but I do know that the code works in a funky way now.

-Kix

YURdigital ( ) posted Sat, 08 January 2011 at 9:13 AM

Thanks for all the replies.

At least I know I'm not going crazy.  ;)

Clint

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Sat, 08 January 2011 at 4:03 PM

Actually, everybody in 3D is crazy. 

In Carrara, the scene size, while it changes the grid values, is mainly to control environmental lighting effects and provide a basis of scale for DAZ created content. 

Mark

YURdigital ( ) posted Sat, 08 January 2011 at 4:25 PM

LOL - Ok ok...Maybe that should have read ..

"At least I'm not going carzier."

Have a good one Mark.
Clint

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.