Wed, Sep 18, 11:11 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: just marvelous designer....yikes

Dave-So ( ) posted Mon, 10 January 2011 at 5:34 PM · edited Mon, 09 September 2024 at 1:49 PM

I've been seeing and reading quite a bit about Marvelous Designer, so figured I would check it out.

The personal license is on special $99 ... BUT ..if you make clothes with it, you can't sell them. NO COMMERCIAL USE.

You need to buy the small business edtion $700 ... yikes, boys and girls...that sure isn't happening in the next 50 years or more.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

kyhighlander59 ( ) posted Mon, 10 January 2011 at 5:41 PM

C4D is $2000 plus as is Maya and MAX. A bit high for a one trick pony for sure. That's in the Zbrush price range and zbrush does so much more.

pjz99 ( ) posted Mon, 10 January 2011 at 6:25 PM

I don't predict that any experienced CG content creator will spring for the commercial license, considering the mesh that it outputs is pretty terrible.

My Freebies

Tashar59 ( ) posted Mon, 10 January 2011 at 8:47 PM

There were a few PA's at Daz saying they would.

I'll stick with my Modo. It cost me less too. LOL.

pakled ( ) posted Tue, 11 January 2011 at 5:15 AM

yeah, but at that price you only have to sell one...;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Tue, 11 January 2011 at 5:34 AM · edited Tue, 11 January 2011 at 5:37 AM

Well the promise here, which I don't see in anyone's posts, is that it will allow for people other than Optitex to create dynamic clothing in DAZ Studio... something you can't do with zbrush or modo. The price is higher because of the dynamic capability, though it's way cheaper than trying to buy a license with Optitex.

If Marvelous can provide a plugin that will allow people to create dynamic clothing in DS, that will make a lot of DS content creators happy.

Dave-So ( ) posted Tue, 11 January 2011 at 5:44 AM · edited Tue, 11 January 2011 at 5:45 AM

for $700. youse guys have a lot more cash than my poor ass

at least PhilC's offering is only $30 or something like that.

pjz99 ( ) posted Tue, 11 January 2011 at 8:54 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

Quote - Well the promise here, which I don't see in anyone's posts, is that it will allow for people other than Optitex to create dynamic clothing in DAZ Studio...

I don't see where you got that idea, but if it's true:  That's a 100% cutthroat DAZ business decision and not anything else, don't kid yourself.  The only reason D|S dynamics are restricted to Optitex's content is because DAZ and Optitex hard-coded it that way, and imo that was a really shitty business move.

My Freebies

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Tue, 11 January 2011 at 9:16 AM

Quote - for $700. youse guys have a lot more cash than my poor ass at least PhilC's offering is only $30 or something like that.

That tool can NOT make dynamic clothing in DS, only conforming items. You can't compare items that don't do the same thing.

pjz99 ( ) posted Tue, 11 January 2011 at 9:23 AM

In Poser it can.

My Freebies

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Tue, 11 January 2011 at 9:28 AM

Quote - where you got that idea, but if it's true:  That's a 100% cutthroat DAZ business decision and not anything else, don't kid yourself.  The only reason D|S dynamics are restricted to Optitex's content is because DAZ and Optitex hard-coded it that way, and imo that was a really shitty business move.

This was discussed weeks ago in the DAZ forums, along with why there still isn't a 64 bit version of the dynamic clothing plugin or a mac version of the plugin. From the conversation there were promises made I think two years ago that this plugin would be for Mac, 64-bit PC and would offer an inexpensive tool to allow content makers to make their own dynamic clothing. So far, none of that has happened. The license for Optiplex is somewhere between $5K-10K if you wanted to do your own dynamic clothing. Currently people have to partner with a contractor to have him make your designs for  dynamic clothing. So a lot of content creators aren't happy about this situation.

So Marvelous comes along and says here are our version of a tool and we'll work on a DS plugin for dynamic clothing for all platforms. Their inital price for the commercial version was $2500, so $700 is a better price but not many can afford it, and you definitely have to be dedicated to making those clothing items and have decent enough designs to recoup that amount. But then most content makers have a copy of either 3ds max, modo, maya... etc... and those aren't cheap either... and they don't do the dynamic clothing.

I think $700 is a big leap of faith for purchase and no actual plugin, but if they can pull it off, either it will get Optitex off their butt and give DS users a slimmed down version of a content creation tool specifically for DS or people that have the license and the plugin to make their own clothing for purchase and leave Optitex behind.

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Tue, 11 January 2011 at 9:29 AM · edited Tue, 11 January 2011 at 9:31 AM

Quote - In Poser it can.

That's nice, but I wasn't talking Poser? Stay with me now. ;)

Most of the buzz over this program is DS, not poser.

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Tue, 11 January 2011 at 9:36 AM

and this is the POSER forum. the DAZ STUDIO forum is 3 doors down on the right, past the garbage bins, over the bridge and next to the Bryce Forum......

Airport security is a burden we must all shoulder. Do your part, and please grope yourself in advance.

pjz99 ( ) posted Tue, 11 January 2011 at 9:47 AM

Quote - Their inital price for the commercial version was $2500, so $700 is a better price but not many can afford it,...

That is a classic underhanded sales technique dude.  IMO that and the Optitex matter are two huge red flags that would drive any sensible buyer away.

My Freebies

pjz99 ( ) posted Tue, 11 January 2011 at 9:53 AM

Incidentally, the reason that not many commercial content makers do dynamic clothing is not because they don't know how (it's actually pretty easy compared to conforming) it's that it rarely sells very well, compared to conforming.  If there was a great demand for commercial dynamic stuff, trust me, you would see gobs of it in all the marketplaces.

My Freebies

vintorix ( ) posted Tue, 11 January 2011 at 10:28 AM

Many people think that Marvelous designer is for amateurs and beginners. Actually you can't get much done without being fairly proficient and accustomed to a high end modeling tool. So if you are making cloth to be distributed MD is just another tool in the box for the advanced user and a very good tool at that. Without you are at an disadvantage compared to the other pros. If you are successful selling your stuff and not can afford 700 dollar I need to rethink some misconceptions I have had uptil now..

pjz99 ( ) posted Tue, 11 January 2011 at 10:34 AM

Quote - If you are successful selling your stuff and not can afford 700 dollar I need to rethink some misconceptions I have had uptil now..

Yes I encourage you to try selling some dynamic items and see how well they do.

My Freebies

vintorix ( ) posted Tue, 11 January 2011 at 10:52 AM

MD excel just as much in making conforming clothing as dynamic. Dynamic cloth with thickness and pockets, beltloops and modelled seams etc etc..which as far as I can see is non-existent. "Like the bird Phonix that everybody are talking about, but no one have seen" .

pjz99 ( ) posted Tue, 11 January 2011 at 11:03 AM

Quote - MD excel just as much in making conforming clothing as dynamic. Dynamic cloth with thickness and pockets, beltloops and modelled seams etc etc..

These are all things easily done in a traditonal modeler.  There is not a diplomatic way to say this, sorry: if you never bothered to learn these tasks in a traditional modeler, doing them in a $700 tool might make you feel better, but it doesn't make them qualitatively better.

My Freebies

vintorix ( ) posted Tue, 11 January 2011 at 11:17 AM · edited Tue, 11 January 2011 at 11:18 AM

"doing them in a $700 tool might make you feel better.."

I have not paid $700 but $99.

pjz99, I will try to significantly advance the art of clothing, both in speed and quality.  If I succseed, $700 is nothing compared to many other expensive hobbies. If not I have had a lot of fun for $99.

pjz99 ( ) posted Tue, 11 January 2011 at 11:25 AM

I don't think anyone ever told you that you shouldn't have bought the $99 version, the topic is about the $700 commercial license.

My Freebies

vintorix ( ) posted Tue, 11 January 2011 at 11:32 AM

But pjz99, you don't seem to understand! You don't need to buy the $700 version before you know it will pay for itself.  Untill them be live perfectly happy with the $99 version.

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Tue, 11 January 2011 at 11:33 AM

Quote - and this is the POSER forum. the DAZ STUDIO forum is 3 doors down on the right, past the garbage bins, over the bridge and next to the Bryce Forum......

That's nice too. But DS was brought up in THIS thread, so my comment was relevant... but your's isn't.

Care to contribute and not be snarky?

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Tue, 11 January 2011 at 11:35 AM

no,I'll be snarky on my own time.

your post was about DS. so I reminded you where you were and that talking about Poser was ok.

if you find that snarky, thats your own problem and not mine.

Airport security is a burden we must all shoulder. Do your part, and please grope yourself in advance.

Male_M3dia ( ) posted Tue, 11 January 2011 at 11:44 AM

Quote - no,I'll be snarky on my own time.

your post was about DS. so I reminded you where you were and that talking about Poser was ok.

if you find that snarky, thats your own problem and not mine.

Uh right.... And my comment was in response to another post where they said DAZ PAs was looking into it. Comment's still relevant, because someone else was still talking about DS in THIS thread, regardless of what forum it was posted in... and it was about the Marvelous tool... so it's still was on topic... which you still haven't done. So unless you want to start talking about marvelouos, regardless of DS or Poser... perhaps you want to look at another thread? You're trolling right now.

Anyway, I downloaded the tool and it does look interesting. I still haven't gotten the hang of things though, but I guess it takes practice.

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Tue, 11 January 2011 at 11:46 AM

we'll let the mods decide who's trolling thanks. and I have an interest in the software btw.

so enough ok? bye.

pjz99 ( ) posted Tue, 11 January 2011 at 2:31 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

Vintorix:

Quote - You don't need to buy the $700 version before you know it will pay for itself.

Again, I encourage you to try selling some dynamics and see how well you do.

Male_M3dia whenever the Optitex/MD licensing for D|S is done, I'm sure we'll all be happy to hear how well it works.  Thank you for your helpful and informative input.  The "nuh UH, YOU'RE trolling not ME" shit is not all that helpful or informative though.

My Freebies

vintorix ( ) posted Tue, 11 January 2011 at 2:47 PM

"Again, I encourage you to try selling some dynamics and see how well you do..."

For the millionth time: MD works just as well for conforming clothing if you don't belive me I'll show you.

Besides, I would never make anything whatever without both a dynamic and conforming version.

pjz99 ( ) posted Tue, 11 January 2011 at 3:09 PM

Quote - For the millionth time: MD works just as well for conforming clothing if you don't belive me I'll show you.

If you're happy with terrible mesh and topology, sure.

Quote - Besides, I would never make anything whatever without both a dynamic and conforming version.

Seriously, you should go forth and conquer the market with this approach.

My Freebies

vintorix ( ) posted Tue, 11 January 2011 at 3:19 PM

pjz99, "If you're happy with terrible mesh and topology, sure..."

As long as the results looks like art and not dolls, I couldn't care less.

pjz99 ( ) posted Tue, 11 January 2011 at 3:29 PM

If terrible mesh and topology are your standard of art, once again, go forth and conquer the market with these ideas, I'm sure you will do very well.

My Freebies

vintorix ( ) posted Tue, 11 January 2011 at 3:42 PM

"go forth and conquer the market"

I make only for my own use. I have to, as what is in the market is useless.

Dave-So ( ) posted Wed, 12 January 2011 at 5:41 AM

plus you can't sell the stuff with the 99 version..yes, if you make for your own use, it pays for itself ..the$99 version..soon to be more. and i do not use DS, so.

Cyberwoman ( ) posted Wed, 12 January 2011 at 11:54 AM

If I had 700 dollars sitting around to spend, I would buy myself a copy of Poser Pro 2010. Or maybe I would put it in my "saving for commercial 3DS Max" fund. Or, maybe I would keep it to put gas in my car or buy groceries or pay rent.

If people think Marvelous Designer is worth the money, then more power to them. I will stick to my nice free Wings 3D. Oh, and another thought I had: last time I looked, for the cost of the $99 non-commercial version, you could buy Poser 7 and make dynamic clothing in any program you please.

I can't speak for DAZ Studio users, but I can't see this program catching on with Poser users unless the price is reduced.

~*I've made it my mission to build Cyberworld, one polygon at a time*~

Watch it happen at my technology blog, Building Cyberworld.

moogal ( ) posted Wed, 12 January 2011 at 4:55 PM

I don't have time to re-read the entire thread on the Daz forums, but I think there is some confusion about the license.  MD wasn't meant to be a CG tool, and all of this confusion among CG people really caught them off guard.  The restriction on the $99 version is a restriction on using it commercially to create clothing patterns, which is the purpose for which it was designed.  They have said it is OK to use MD clothing in commercial renders and animations.  It is OK also to distibute the clothing modeled in MD for free.  I am not sure how they feel about selling a mesh created in MD, or if a mesh originating in MD but re-topoed in another program would be subject to the same restrictions.

Believable3D ( ) posted Wed, 12 January 2011 at 5:15 PM

Redistribution of mesh for sale is not allowed in the personal version.

The price for a commercial license was brought up and discussed in every Marvelous Designer thread here in the Poser forum. I don't know why it required a standalone thread just to whine about that. :

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

Software: Windows 10 Professional/Poser Pro 11/Photoshop/Postworkshop 3

Dave-So ( ) posted Wed, 12 January 2011 at 6:35 PM

quite simply i didn't read the others nor see them. so I'm whine. and I'm trying to be a chilled whine instead of telling to go fucky your self.

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 12 January 2011 at 6:44 PM · edited Wed, 12 January 2011 at 6:47 PM

You're fired, get out!

edit:

.               ,.
                  T."-...---..,-"/|
                  l|"-.  .v.   (" |
                  [l /.'_ ; ~"-.-t                   Y " _(o} _{o)._ ^.|                   j  T  ,-<v>-.  T  ]                     l ( /-^- ) !  !                    . .  "~"  ./  /c-..,__                      ^r- .._ .- .-" - .  ~"--.
                      > .                     
                      ]   ^.                    
                      3  .  ">            .       Y  -Row
.--.   j   ~   .         ;       |
        (    ~"-.
~"^._   ^.    ^._      I     . l
         "-._ ___ ~"-,7    .Z-.   7"   Y      ;          _
            /"   "~-(r r  /--.~-/    /      /,.--^-.   / Y
            "-._    '"~~~>-.~]>--^---./,.^~        ^.^  !
                ~--.
    '   Y---.                        ./
                     ~~--.
  l
   )                       
                           ~-.~~~---.,____..---          
                               ~----"~      

My Freebies

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 12 January 2011 at 6:50 PM · edited Wed, 12 January 2011 at 6:54 PM

Quote - They have said it is OK to use MD clothing in commercial renders and animations.  It is OK also to distibute the clothing modeled in MD for free. 

While some guy might have said that somewhere, the MD license says the opposite.

• 3D files and derivatives created with Marvelous Designer may be distributed for non-commercial purposes only. 2D images and animations may be used for commercial purposes.

Err ... oops, it does say you can hand out the model files as freebies.  Okey doke ^^

Quote - I am not sure how they feel about selling a mesh created in MD, or if a mesh originating in MD but re-topoed in another program would be subject to the same restrictions.

TBH if you're capable of redoing the topology of a model of any real complexity, you probably wouldn't be using MD in the first place.

My Freebies

Dave-So ( ) posted Wed, 12 January 2011 at 7:01 PM

fired whine .... no prob.. I respect your decision. I'll be back for my severance in 30 days.

i didn;t see free models to hand out. that's cool.

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 12 January 2011 at 7:14 PM

Eh, a hundred bucks for the privilege of making freebies is still pretty high, but DAZ and the people they partner with are exceptionally good at getting people to chug their Kool-aid so ... 

My Freebies

vintorix ( ) posted Thu, 13 January 2011 at 3:28 AM

This discussion is ridiculous.

1. If you are in the business of selling things $700 is nothing.

2. If you are not you still can use the $99 version.

Finnaly, if you are not sure that MD is right for you try the 30 day free version that should be enogh for anybody.

Marvelous Designer is the most significant thing that has happen not only in the Poser business but in the entire CG industry the last 10 years or so. If you don't want to be part of it - its your choice.

Dave-So ( ) posted Thu, 13 January 2011 at 5:38 AM

over and out.

aye aye /SIR !!!!

and if you don;t like the thread, you can stay out as well

pjz99 ( ) posted Thu, 13 January 2011 at 8:17 AM

Quote - 1) If you are in the business of selling things $700 is nothing.

Since you are evidently not, maybe (again) you should stick to what you know.

Quote - Marvelous Designer is the most significant thing that has happen not only in the Poser business but in the entire CG industry the last 10 years or so.

And again, this isn't new technology, something almost identical is a standard feature in 3ds Max and has been for several years.  Congratulations on being happy with your purchase, nobody is telling you you shouldn't have bought it.

My Freebies

vintorix ( ) posted Thu, 13 January 2011 at 8:32 AM

"Since you are evidently not, maybe (again) you should stick to what you know."

Is that so? What you are implying is that the vendors don't earn so much. Well it might very well be so -the income of the verndors must be the most closly guarded secret in the United States. What do I care?

About the Max application I have Max, and I could download it if I bothered. But I don't as I know that almost no one uses it. It is similar to say as the old Sovjet-Union always said, "It was a Russian that invented the TV".

:)

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Thu, 13 January 2011 at 8:34 AM

why don't you 2 just go get a room?

pjz99 ( ) posted Thu, 13 January 2011 at 8:55 AM

Quote - What you are implying is that the vendors don't earn so much.

...  From the first post, that's been the point of the thread.

Re: Max's clothing designer:

Quote - But I don't as I know that almost no one uses it.

Now is that because you think it sucks, or is it because you think no one noticed how it's the most significant thing in the past 10 years of the CG industry?  Or do you think everyone else is just stupid? 

MagnusGreel thank you for your very helpful advice, appreciate it.

My Freebies

vintorix ( ) posted Thu, 13 January 2011 at 9:01 AM

"why don't you 2 just go get a room?"

yes, its time to stop.  In a few months we will know the answer. So why bother?

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Thu, 13 January 2011 at 9:06 AM

the pair of you are just arguing to get the last word now. hence me asking that. have a heart of the rest of us huh?

Photopium ( ) posted Thu, 13 January 2011 at 9:10 AM

PJ - You're so geared up against Clo3d it seems as if you're on a mission to turn people off to it. 

My only conclusion is that this software threatens you in some way, or you wouldn't be spending so much time hating on it.

If I am mistaken, please explain .

pjz99 ( ) posted Thu, 13 January 2011 at 9:41 AM · edited Thu, 13 January 2011 at 9:42 AM

Yes, you are mistaken.  Where have I said it's bad software or that no one should buy it?  It's a neat application that allows you to skip learning modeling, within its limits.  On the other hand, it doesn't do anything a traditional modeler can't also do, and substantially less.  This is basic fact.

is failing to wet myself over this application "hating on it"?

My Freebies

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.