Thu, Sep 19, 9:58 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 9:52 pm)

Subject: render won't close

moogal ( ) posted Thu, 20 January 2011 at 2:58 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 9:58 PM

I'm using 64-bit Poser on Win 7 and am once again having a problem I had long ago solved with a previous version.  Renders don't close.  Even a single cube prop renders fine until the end, but the rendering box never closes and I have to exit out.  I have re-checked the program's permissions, and wonder if my prefs could be corrupt.  Anyone know this problem and the solution to it?   

pjz99 ( ) posted Thu, 20 January 2011 at 3:12 PM

I had problems like this with the initial release of Poser 8 but it was fixed in a later SR.  Do you have the current SR applied?

My Freebies

moogal ( ) posted Thu, 20 January 2011 at 3:14 PM

Hmmm...  I'll have to check.  Was it every time?  Because at first it did work...

pjz99 ( ) posted Thu, 20 January 2011 at 6:28 PM

It's been a while but if I remember correctly, it wasn't consistent, sometimes it would finish.

My Freebies

dphoadley ( ) posted Sat, 22 January 2011 at 12:07 PM

Where exactly can I find the SR's for Poser 7 and Poser Pro 2010 (I bought them both as teh package deal).  All I ever see is for Poser 8.

dph

STOP PALESTINIAN CHILD ABUSE!!!! ISLAMIC HATRED OF JEWS

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Sat, 22 January 2011 at 12:10 PM

Attached Link: http://poser.smithmicro.com/poserupdates.html

> Quote - Where exactly can I find the SR's for Poser 7 and Poser Pro 2010 (I bought them both as teh package deal).  All I ever see is for Poser 8. > > dph

Airport security is a burden we must all shoulder. Do your part, and please grope yourself in advance.

moogal ( ) posted Sat, 22 January 2011 at 3:07 PM

I ran PPSR1.2 and it solved my problem for the next session.  So went ahead and tried recreating my previous prefs (layout, smoothing angle, cached renders etc.) but as soon as I tried deleting the figure the program hang.  I forced out of it, and managed to delete the figure the next time using the del key.  Saved my prefs and also created a prefs empty scene.  When I loaded the empty scene I had Poser icons all across my task bar and then it quickly closed.  I want to think its a security issue, but when I check it seems to have all of the necessary permissions.  When I had this issue before it was because I had a hardware firewall turned on, but that was a different computer with Poser8.  I'm not sure if this rig even has a harware firewall....

moogal ( ) posted Sat, 22 January 2011 at 6:29 PM · edited Sat, 22 January 2011 at 6:33 PM

I made it hang by just loading then trying to delete the cube.  It seems basically any operation that pops up a beige box locks it up.  I can switch rooms and navigate the library just fine.  It does have permission from Windows firewall.

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Sat, 22 January 2011 at 6:34 PM

try this (long shot) switch your display from OpenGL to Sreed and see what happens. (as I said.. long shot....)

Airport security is a burden we must all shoulder. Do your part, and please grope yourself in advance.

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 22 January 2011 at 8:10 PM

When I had Poser 5, the only way to cancel a render was CTRL ALT DEL because cancel render didn't work.

Poser 6 was better.  At least cancel worked. However, the time it takes to cancel largely depends on the bucketsize that is currently being processed. The larger the bucketsize, the longer it will take to cancel the render because Poser finished that bucket, before canceling.  Or at least that is my understanding.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

pjz99 ( ) posted Sat, 22 January 2011 at 8:12 PM

Quote - I ran PPSR1.2 and it solved my problem for the next session.  So went ahead and tried recreating my previous prefs (layout, smoothing angle, cached renders etc.) but as soon as I tried deleting the figure the program hang.

Sounds like one of these steps is your problem, just have to isolate which one.

My Freebies

moogal ( ) posted Sun, 23 January 2011 at 1:22 PM

I'm not trying to cancel a render.  I'm talking about the very first render hanging at 100% each and every time.  The scene renders just fine, but the box doesn't close and the program has to be terminated, so it's not a bucket issue. 

pjz99 ( ) posted Sun, 23 January 2011 at 2:38 PM

Sounds like it's time for you to contact SM support, if the SR isn't helping you:

http://www.smithmicro.com/support/contact.aspx

My Freebies

moogal ( ) posted Sun, 23 January 2011 at 2:53 PM

Yeah, I tried re-applying the SR, but it didn't help that time.  It seems to have something to do with the beige boxes.  I was just able to lock it up a few moments ago by trying to change an empty scene from 30 to 20 frames.  As soon as the confirmation box popped up it was locked up.  I might have to try tech support, but in general I tend to have more faith in the community to solve problems like these.  The more weird the problem, the more people it usually takes to solve it, it seems.   

Connatic ( ) posted Mon, 24 January 2011 at 3:10 PM

I've had that happen a few times.  I think I tried unchecking "smoothing" in the render settings and it would work.  Maybe certain objects are not smoothable.  I have had successful render endings with smoothing on, so it seems related to specific objects or props.

moogal ( ) posted Mon, 24 January 2011 at 4:32 PM

It happens with something as simple as reducing the number of frames in an empty scene.  It won't even render an empty scene.  I have determined it locks up with any operation that opens a beige requester.  Rendering, deleting, or any other operation that needs confirmed or canceled locks it up.  I tried changing to the seperate renderer, but as they both pop up the same beige box it was no help.  Remember, I'm not talking about renders that stall, I'm talking about renders that reach 100% but leave the requester up and the program unresponsive.

Connatic ( ) posted Mon, 24 January 2011 at 4:42 PM

I know, the render completes 100%, but does not close out of the render process.  I know I disabled smoothing or displacement when I got that problem, and it quit doing it.  I haven't had it occur for a while, and I have used smoothness and displacement.  Maybe Minimum Displacement causes it.  I leave it at 0.00 when I use Displacement and it seems to work fine.

About the crashing when deleting a figure, I reset preferences and that went away.  Somehow I blundered and changed my workspace where the tabs at the top were gone, and the window changed.  I reset and that problem vanished.

moogal ( ) posted Tue, 25 January 2011 at 5:58 PM

OK, I think I solved it.  It wasn't that the exe didn't have admin privileges, but somehow the folder and its contents were getting set to read-only.

moogal ( ) posted Wed, 26 January 2011 at 7:29 PM

I don't get it.  They are still being set back to read-only.  It seems to happen when I'm agreeing to let the program make changes to my computer.  I've got to unflag the folder and its contents' write protection every time before rendering, or it will lock up. 

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Wed, 26 January 2011 at 7:33 PM

you installed to Program Files did'nt you.........

moogal ( ) posted Wed, 26 January 2011 at 9:03 PM

Yeah, I guess I did.

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Wed, 26 January 2011 at 9:12 PM

thats why the resetting attributes.. UAC's doing it...

moogal ( ) posted Sun, 30 January 2011 at 3:13 PM

This is kind of funny, but I think it was something else entirely...  Just poking around the control panel and found a warning of "unreported problems" and thought I should see what they were.  Noticed that there were two instances of Poser waiting on the VEOH webplayer.  Since it always seemed to delay my shutdown and I only used it occasionally, I decided to get rid of it.  I rebooted and Poser worked fine, didn't have to change anything or agree to anything for the first time.  I'm anxious to see if it's fixed or just a coincidence. 

Niles ( ) posted Sun, 30 January 2011 at 3:44 PM

It was happening to me, too.

only I was using XP Pro, never did get it to work.

I installed Windows 7 and tried it, problem went away... I think,  :) beacuse

I just went back to Poser 7,  I had no time to mess with it as I was working on a project.

http://renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2818739

EugyptuS ( ) posted Mon, 31 January 2011 at 12:30 PM
Online Now!

~Bookmarked

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.