Mon, Sep 16, 11:18 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 16 7:48 pm)

Subject: Lighting Books

Stratkat ( ) posted Mon, 31 January 2011 at 2:07 PM · edited Sun, 11 August 2024 at 5:01 PM

Can I get some thought on Good Books on Lighting.  I see at Amazon there is a WHOLE industry about Lighting, I was wondering if there are any favorites or MUST have books some of you may be able to suggest.

Or any other thoughts about lighting.  All would be Most welcome.

Thanks,

Rick

ockham ( ) posted Mon, 31 January 2011 at 2:56 PM · edited Mon, 31 January 2011 at 2:57 PM

Oh, I thought you were asking for hints on how to light a book in a Poser scene.  :)

It's actually quite hard to make the print show clearly, without glaring everything else into oblivion.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

torqy ( ) posted Mon, 31 January 2011 at 4:23 PM

I had the same question a few months ago and spent a good bit of time at the local bookstores looking through their Lighting books, generally all in the Photography or Art sections.  I ended up buying "Light - Science & Magic, An Introduction to Photographic Lighting" (ref http://www.borders.com/online/store/TitleDetail?sku=0240808193 ) and have been very pleased with it.

It includes very practical explanations of various lighting situations, along with setup diagrams (positions of camera, lights, subjects) and excellent color photos showing the results.  The authors include advice both on techniques that work and what to avoid, clearly explaining the rationale for a lighting situation.

Best of all, I found that their presentation of the "science and magic" of real-world photographic lighting is directly applicable to lighting in 3D computer art.  Unlike many other books in this category, this one did not "waste" much time on photographic equipment usage and specifications (e.g. exposure meters, strobe lights), but concentrated on the placement of the lights themselves and the resulting artistic effects. 

martial ( ) posted Mon, 31 January 2011 at 6:58 PM

Arnoldo Gallardo, 3D Lightting,historic,concepts  techniques,Graphics series Charles River Media,2001,492 pages

Old one but very good one You can adapt to Poser or other 3d softs

BionicRooster ( ) posted Mon, 31 January 2011 at 7:08 PM
Forum Moderator

Quote - Oh, I thought you were asking for hints on how to light a book in a Poser scene.  :)

It's actually quite hard to make the print show clearly, without glaring everything else into oblivion.

Well, I would think one way would be to give the pages a slight ambience and plug the diffues into the ambient channel. It'll light the page without having an actual light source casting a glare on the pages. Just my take on the idea.

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

bob1965 ( ) posted Mon, 31 January 2011 at 7:26 PM

Digital Lighting & Rendering by Jeremy Birn is a pretty good resource.

Dale B ( ) posted Mon, 31 January 2011 at 7:53 PM

Yes; definitely get the Birn book. It is fairly app neutral, and deals more with concepts and attitudes. And being a technical lighting director at Pixar is plenty good mojo.....

madno2 ( ) posted Tue, 01 February 2011 at 11:38 AM

Yes, if you want to know what is meant by lighting in CG "Digital Lighting & Rendering" by Jeremy Birn is a good book.

Stratkat ( ) posted Wed, 02 February 2011 at 12:13 PM

Wow, thank you all for your insights, thoughts and suggestions,  and taking the time to share!

I very much appreciate all the replys.

Can wait till Amazon delivers!

Thanks again,

Rick

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.