Wed, Sep 18, 1:58 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: OT - Kinect Hacked for Motion Capture

NolosQuinn ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2010 at 12:22 PM · edited Wed, 11 September 2024 at 3:13 AM

Attached Link: Possible low cost motion capture alternative.

They’re using a toolset called FAAST, which they’ve made freely available. Would be a nice plugin for Poser animation.

'I'm paying for this movie. I want guns'

NolosQuinn ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2010 at 12:27 PM

Attached Link: Here's a YouTube link:

Very interesting!

wolf359 ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2010 at 12:34 PM

..and if I need to capture climbing a ladder or a Dog running??

My website

YouTube Channel

kyhighlander59 ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2010 at 12:35 PM

teach that dog to run in place

wolf359 ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2010 at 12:47 PM

Quote - teach that dog to run in place

...and then teach yourself how to use the poser graph & Dope Sheet to animate that ,running in place, Dog  along the Z axis LOL!!

My website

YouTube Channel

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2010 at 1:37 PM

Quote - ..and if I need to capture climbing a ladder or a Dog running??

Ladder? 2 Kinects. one each side. put them up above the climbing area.

the dog, train it to run on a treadmill. not actually that hard to do.

you'll need 2 kinects anyway to avoid "shadow" where the 1 can't see - they've already run 2 together with no clashes between units.

Airport security is a burden we must all shoulder. Do your part, and please grope yourself in advance.

wolf359 ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2010 at 2:17 PM

Quote - > Quote - ..and if I need to capture climbing a ladder or a Dog running??

Ladder? 2 Kinects. one each side. put them up above the climbing area.

the dog, train it to run on a treadmill. not actually that hard to do.

you'll need 2 kinects anyway to avoid "shadow" where the 1 can't see - they've already run 2 together with no clashes between units.

Average cost of kinect $133
Two= $266
Average cost  of Xbox to receive the Kinect input
=$300
relatively low cost treadmill (for the dog)l= $1000

total $1566 USD OUCH!!!
of course assuming that whatever means/software needed to extract a poser compatible BVH file
will be given away FREE.

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

kyhighlander59 ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2010 at 2:20 PM

you don't need the xbox for the motion capture, you use your usb ports on your computer. LOL that is the hack. LOL

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2010 at 2:22 PM

why you paying $1000 for a treadmill??? you can pick one up that will do the job for $50 and up. and many experimenters have bought 2 or more Kinects for hacking.. without Xboxes (they just hook them to PC's...

and I'll have you note, I was pointing out how to solve each problem you threw up. simply....

Airport security is a burden we must all shoulder. Do your part, and please grope yourself in advance.

wolf359 ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2010 at 2:30 PM

Quote - you don't need the xbox for the motion capture, you use your usb ports on your computer. LOL that is the hack. LOL

AHH excellent!!
USB .you can tell I am not a Gamer

Now we just need to get our brightest minds here in the community
to collaborate on a FREE python based plugin to convert the Data from
the Kinect camera to poser compatible BVH files for Bipeds & Quadripeds

"KinectPose"  project anyone??

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

kyhighlander59 ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2010 at 2:34 PM

I would be lost in that one. Know any resources for how to work with bvh in C#?

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2010 at 2:36 PM

ach bypass Poser / Python and just go Kinect to BVH directly. much easier and I'll bet someone's already working on it.

kyhighlander59 ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2010 at 2:37 PM

probably already done. just hasn't made it to youtube yet. LOL

wolf359 ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2010 at 2:58 PM

Quote - ach bypass Poser / Python and just go Kinect to BVH directly. much easier and I'll bet someone's already working on it.

But the created BVH still has to be  joint mapped for the various poser figures
so we cant just Bypass poser if we are still discussing what the OP was suggesting

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2010 at 3:01 PM · edited Thu, 30 December 2010 at 3:02 PM

and there's ways to adjust the BVH's in poser... PhilC I think has a script for starters..

I know it's been talked about a lot on the forums over the years... the conversion of BVH files..

but gotta go now.. got French Onion Soup to make..

btw.. you related to Moriarty? always with the negative waves...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuStsFW4EmQ

kyhighlander59 ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2010 at 3:02 PM

there was a japanese site with BVH files, but they had extra body parts in them. Poser just ignored the extra ones.

wolf359 ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2010 at 3:07 PM

Quote -  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuStsFW4EmQ

Oh man GREAT FILM a true Classic!!

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

wolf359 ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2010 at 3:33 PM · edited Thu, 30 December 2010 at 3:35 PM

Quote - there was a japanese site with BVH files, but they had extra body parts in them. Poser just ignored the extra ones.

Well there are MANY, MANY online source of free BVH files
Some work ,some Horribly distort your poser character
and as a person who has been animating in poser since version3
and has sold BVH/Motion files here and other markets I have Alot of experience with them.
and even the ones that "work" often have your figure way above the or below the poser ground  plan requiring some basic knowledge
of adjusting numerous keyframe over a long range in the poser graph editor.
something most poser user dont have the desire to learn.
and again as a Merchant and  from speaking to other merchants
I can tell you that  pre animated  Motions for poser are a tiny niche market that is barely worth your time
and even then they better be perfect( for V-chick) on delivery as no one wants to have to use secondary programs pyscripts etc to get them working right for their favorite figures.

There is a big thread over at CGtalk about this new KINECT technology and the general consenses(sp?) from the "pros" working
in the animation industry is that people will still need to hand key

Character animation as this is not that holy grail many yearn for not yet .

not to seem like a DAZ fan boi but poser needs  a NON linear motion mixing system  to easily combine/edit /mix premade all those free motions to generate your own custom sequences like 
Like aniMate+

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

NolosQuinn ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2010 at 4:02 PM

I use animate and import into Poser. Of course you have to make some adjustments, even with high end tools. I see this as another available option. This is just the first version of the program. If they continue, and it sounds like they will, it can only get better and make animations easier and more complex.

Nolos.

wolf359 ( ) posted Thu, 30 December 2010 at 4:07 PM

As do I
its the only reason I keep Daz Studio 2.3 Installed as its useless
otherwise
but it would be nice to see such a feature in poser itself then perhaps
I might consider upgrading from P6.

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Wed, 05 January 2011 at 8:37 AM · edited Wed, 05 January 2011 at 8:37 AM

Attached Link: http://www.brekel.com/?p=145

"

Realtime Kinect skeleton device for MotionBuilder

Over the xmas break I played around a little with NITE from PrimeSense.

Turns out with a bit of hacking it’s quite possible to track a person using a Kinect and stream the 3D skeleton to MotionBuilder in realtime.

The custom device for MoBu is still in a pre-alpha phase but if there is enough interest I may make it available here.

"

see link for Vid...

wolf359 ( ) posted Wed, 05 January 2011 at 4:10 PM · edited Wed, 05 January 2011 at 4:12 PM

Too bad not many poser users will not likely be buying Motionbuilder though

"

"Pricing and Availability

Autodesk anticipates that MotionBuilder 2010, as well as the new Digital Entertainment Creation suites, will be available in August 2009. The 32-bit version of MotionBuilder 2010 software will be supported on the Windows XP Professional operating system (SP2 or higher). The 64-bit version of MotionBuilder 2010 software will be supported on the Windows XP Professional x64 Edition and the Windows Vista( )Business x64 Edition operating systems.

The Autodesk suggested retail price for MotionBuilder 2010 software is US$3,995".*

My website

YouTube Channel

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Wed, 05 January 2011 at 4:58 PM

just wait.. the Blender crew won't pass that challenge up ;)

wolf359 ( ) posted Wed, 05 January 2011 at 5:06 PM · edited Wed, 05 January 2011 at 5:08 PM

file_463710.jpg

The blender guys  did a great job with their LUX bridge also but alas poser users preferred to "do it " from within poser and well .........

My website

YouTube Channel

parkdalegardener ( ) posted Thu, 06 January 2011 at 9:47 AM

It will happen for Poser. The device was hacked within hours of public release. There are stable drivers for Mac and Linux. Windows drivers are not perfect yet but are very good none the less. There are wrappers for Python, C, C#; and Visual Basic. The Mac fanboys have already got it working with a few different art programs. It is a USB device that follows the spec. so it won't be long. Check out openkinect.org or their wiki for more info.

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Thu, 06 January 2011 at 9:50 AM

Attached Link: http://www.primesense.com/?p=515

here's some fun. here's the company that developed the Kinect with Microsoft.

look who's in the banner.....

parkdalegardener ( ) posted Thu, 06 January 2011 at 10:05 AM

Quote - here's some fun. here's the company that developed the Kinect with Microsoft.

look who's in the banner.....

Saw this over the Holidays and have been playing with the nite middleware which is why I posted the above. I have been very interested in this device for some time and purchased one when they came out in November.  Will this be a perfect way to capture motion for Poser. Maybe not without some work but as was stated above there is no perfect easy to use solution for Poser even with BVH files.

RealDeal ( ) posted Tue, 01 March 2011 at 3:58 AM

Anyone else use a program called "Lifeforms" to manipulate BVH files? Weirdly it's mainly for designing choreography, but it has some great tools to translate bvh files from 1 figure to another.

MagnusGreel, if the blender crew does come up with a cheap and easy way to do use the kinect to create BVH's, I will cry (or at least moan soulfully); after having zero problems learning how to use Lightwave, 3dStudio, Poser, Bryce, DazStudio, etc, and minimal problems learning Maya, Lifeforms, I have completely given up on learning Blender; the interface is just too non-intuitive**.** it gives me a headache at about the 24-hours-of-attempting-to-figure-it-out mark.

this is interesting:

Chapter & Metaverse: Creating SL Animations using the Kinect

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.