Wed, Sep 18, 11:12 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Laptop advice for running Poser

wingnut1 ( ) posted Sun, 13 March 2011 at 4:43 PM · edited Tue, 17 September 2024 at 5:42 AM

If this is not the right place to ask this, moderators please move it. You've always given me solid advice and here I am asking again.

My old laptop doesn't have a separate graphics card and won't run 3D stuff, so I need to buy a new laptop. I have my eye on some in a local PC store that is going bust.

I need to know if these spec laptops will work for 3D programs like Poser and Max and which would be better;

HP DV6 3031sa.
AMD Athlon II dual core P320 (2.1GHz, 1MB Cache)
ATI HD5470 512MB Graphics card
3GB memory
320GB hard drive.

HP DV6 3050sa.
AMD Phenom II dual core N620 (2.8GHz, 2MB Cache)
ATI HD5450 512MB Graphics card
4GB memory
320GB hard drive.

I am guessing the second one is better with the 2.8GHz processor, but the graphics card looks to be lower spec (HD5450 as opposed to HD5470 in the other laptop). Would that make much difference? Any advice appreciated, I would like to move on this in a couple of days.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 13 March 2011 at 5:06 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

Both of those sound better than what I have on my desktop and I can run either program, so I'll guess yes they should work. 

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

onnetz ( ) posted Sun, 13 March 2011 at 6:57 PM · edited Sun, 13 March 2011 at 7:00 PM

If you must go with a laptop then the second one is the better choice. I cringe when I see people buying laptops. Usually for the same money you can get a much better desktop. Mobility comes at a price. :-)

Faster processor with twice the cache. And 1 more gig of memory installed.

As for the graphics cards the only difference is the memory interface. The 5470 supports ddr5 and the 5450 only ddr3. Clock rates and cores are all the same.

The catch is that the 5470 originally came with ddr5 memory but to cut back on costs they were later manufactured with ddr3. Thus leaving the cards almost identical. And both will do just fine for Poser and max and both are directx 11. So you could do some gaming as well.

Hopefully they both have win 7 64 bit installed.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.

If you can't eat it or play with it,

just pee on it and walk away. :-)

I wouldnt have to manage my anger

if people would manage their stupidity......

WandW ( ) posted Mon, 14 March 2011 at 6:25 AM · edited Mon, 14 March 2011 at 6:26 AM

I run Poser Pro 2010 on a 5-year-old HP NC6400, with a core duo 1.8GHz.    Prior to that I ran Poser 7 on a Compaq NC610C with A 1.6 GHz P4M.  The big disadvantage with my newer laptop is that ATI has stopped supporting it that video chipset (Radeon x1300), so the drivers are two years old; that is a big shortfal with a laptop, as you are stuck with whatever video they supply.  Also, you are stuck with whatever drivers the manufacturer supplies, as the laptop drivers may contain proprietary features; HP had last updated their drivers in 2007 (why would they update them further, as that model was out of production by then, as was the x1300 chipset) , so I had to hack some more recent ATI X1300 desktop drivers so they would install in order to get PP2010 to display propertly...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

ShaaraMuse3D ( ) posted Mon, 14 March 2011 at 7:03 AM

I have a HP pavillion which I think you are looking at too. They are excellent for Poser stuff. :)

Cyberwoman ( ) posted Mon, 14 March 2011 at 10:37 AM

I run Poser 7 on a Toshiba Satellite with (I think) a 1.6 gigahertz processor, 80 gig hard drive, 2 gig RAM, and no separate graphics card. I don't know if there will be much of a difference between the two laptops you are considering, but based on my experience, there should be no problem running Poser on either.

~*I've made it my mission to build Cyberworld, one polygon at a time*~

Watch it happen at my technology blog, Building Cyberworld.

wingnut1 ( ) posted Tue, 15 March 2011 at 3:29 PM

Thanks very much for the help. I ended up finding a slightly different one;

HP DV6 3032sa.
AMD Phenom II dual core N620 (2.8GHz, 2MB L2 Cache)
ATI HD5470 512MB Graphics card (ddr3 as onnetz mentioned)
4GB memory
320GB hard drive.

I installed Poser 8 and Photoshop CS5 and they are running as fast as I hoped for.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.