Thu, Oct 10, 2:18 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 09 12:13 pm)

Subject: Question on Rights of use of models/skins/etc...

Fracture ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2001 at 9:47 AM ยท edited Thu, 10 October 2024 at 12:23 AM

I wanted to make a online comic (free I'm not charging for this stuff) and I wanted to know what the right of use policy generally is on models, props, clothing items, etc... I generally play with the faces enough that I can get them to look how I want but I'm no where near skilled enough (yet) to make convincing people or props for this sort of thing.

atthisstage ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2001 at 9:55 AM

Out of courtesy, ask the originating artist for permission -- even if he or she has already said all rights are granted.

Eowyn ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2001 at 10:03 AM

might take a while to ask everyone if one is using a lot of stuff... isn't all the free stuff here FREE for personal, non-commercial use - to me making a non-commercial online comic falls into that category.

Fracture ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2001 at 10:08 AM

Yeah I can see both points. I was hoping it would be a free issue of just being able to use it in a non-money making way. As a for instance, the main character I made up uses 1 model from one site, a skin from another, the outfit is made up of 3 different sites and the props are from 2 other sites. And that's just her. So yes It would take a while, I think it would be easier to just make a link to the sites I used each issue and what I used from there.

lalverson ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2001 at 11:10 AM

I can really only talk about the items I have available. Items for sale allow you the rights for commercial use for images, so you could use them in your comix. Since you bought it, you gain image rights and do not need to gain permission from me to use them in commercail images. The free items are pretty much the same, except I do ask that credit be given for the props used, and that you tell me what you are doing with them (mostly FYI for me) I ask that because if I like your idea I might be in a position to make props for you.

Fracture ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2001 at 11:15 AM

Ah. Yeah that is do-able. Especially seeing as a good comic work would take well over a month to put togeather once I get all my concepts and stories put togeather. I'll just have to start keeping a more accurate account of who I get what from. Still unsure on buildings though as I am looking for a more near future look and haven't seen any props that fit yet.

weirdass ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2001 at 11:25 AM

Attached Link: http://www.weirdass.net

Well, what I've done is to attempt ot use as much of my own stuff as possible in the Starry Ones, but when I have some choice free stuff that I'm just dying to use... An email to the artist(s) will usually result in go ahead permission. Depends on what it is. A prop gun is more likely to be usable than a character. Mitch

igohigh ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2001 at 12:51 PM

I've been gathering approvals for some characters I wish to use in a Free Halloween Scream Saver and most artists (of which I am not) are very good at giving thier approval as long as I promise: 1) make no money 2) give proper credit/links 3) don't post any meshes or textures in a mannor bad folk can snag.

Crescent ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2001 at 4:29 PM

If they say that all rights are granted, then you can use them. Period. If it is for non-commercial use only and it is a free comic, then you can use it. A comic is no different than other artwork, there's just more of it. As a courtesy, you should give credits, but unless the readme requires it, then you are not obligated to do it.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.