Thu, Sep 19, 3:32 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 2:39 pm)

Subject: OT? – SmithMicro stock drops 22% today.

Nance ( ) posted Fri, 06 May 2011 at 1:17 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 3:30 PM

OUCH! - SMSI closed at $5.66 - that’s gotta hurt. They reported financials yesterday indicating their “net loss of $0.13 reversed a $0.18 profit last year and missed analysts' target by a penny.” And they are projecting similar bearish results for next quarter.

They “blamed the current weakness on a purchasing cutback from a major customer”.

All sounds like it's related to their mobile communications & cloud software products.  Don’t own any myself, but kinda keep an eye out for news about the company.

-quotes above from story today at Motley Fool:

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2011/05/05/smith-micro-shares-plunged-what-you-need-to-know.aspx

Cage ( ) posted Fri, 06 May 2011 at 1:18 AM

Yes, ouch.  Hope this doesn't hurt the Poser team at all.

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

lesbentley ( ) posted Fri, 06 May 2011 at 8:18 AM · edited Fri, 06 May 2011 at 8:21 AM

Quote - ... net loss of $0.13 reversed a $0.18 profit last year...

Don't worry! I happen to have spare £0.79 in my pocket right now, at the current exchange rate that would be about $1.32 US dollars. My confidence in SMSI is so strong that i would be happy to invest the whole 79p in SMSI.

CyberDream ( ) posted Fri, 06 May 2011 at 8:42 AM

It would seem that Poser is such a small portion of their business, they don't even bother mentioning it in their own description (taken from the company 10Q filed yesterday)

Smith Micro Software, Inc. (“we,” “us,” “our,” “Smith Micro,” or the “Company”) designs, develops and markets software products and services primarily for the mobile computing and communications industries. The Company is focused on developing connectivity, communications and content management solutions for a converging world of wireless and wired networks.

Obviously a profit would have been better than a loss, but there was gross revenue of about $17,000,000 during the quarter.

Nance ( ) posted Fri, 06 May 2011 at 11:34 AM

While I've certainly always agreed that the Emperor’s New Clothes looked lovely on SmithMicro, however, I have also often been curious how our little 3D graphics app really contributes to the home team's efforts with their primary market - communications apps?

If Les's "White Knight" offer doesn't pan out, (very magnanimous Sir!), one must wonder if our little app may perhaps be hunting for a new landlord again, or, in the other direction, perhaps just some new public runtimes in the cloud?

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Fri, 06 May 2011 at 12:11 PM

not seeing drop in cisco, amazon, oracle, netflix et al..  does this mean they had some probs w/some cloud-computing item during the recent fiasco at amazon/sony et al.?  netflix escaped because they didn't have quite as stupid a network AFAIK.

Nance ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2011 at 6:39 PM

No, that doesn't appear to have been the problem Miss N. 

The articles suggest that the biggest client for their communications software, Verison, has had unexpected delays in implimenting & expanding their G4 network, which has delayed anticipated orders for SMSI's software.

patorak3d ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2011 at 10:54 PM

Have they got a pool table in their breakroom?

patorak3d ( ) posted Sun, 08 May 2011 at 10:57 AM

OK i take it that they don't have a pool table...

Who's the union stewart there?  i think someone needs to have a talk with him.

Nance ( ) posted Mon, 09 May 2011 at 9:19 PM

Hey, they do get paid to play with Poser all day long.  --  So, in their break room, I'd presume they dig ditches and do road-work for fun.

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 09 May 2011 at 9:50 PM · edited Mon, 09 May 2011 at 9:51 PM

When stock is down, that's the time to buy!!

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 09 May 2011 at 11:27 PM

those guys at SM have got it all, I tell ya - free massages, free lunches delivered to their cubicles (including sushi), segways, the most beautiful climate in the world, skiing and surfing next door, the sweetest bosses anywhere, bring yer dogs to work, every day is casual friday.  it's totally beyond us, why the stock would drop like that. 

patorak3d ( ) posted Wed, 11 May 2011 at 7:32 PM

That's what i'm talkin' about!!!!...You all know a wiseman once said a worry free work force is a productive workforce.  His name was J.P.Morgan. 

ratscloset ( ) posted Thu, 12 May 2011 at 9:24 AM

Yes, there is a Pool Table in the Break Room (but little used from the looks)

No Massages (unless you count the small vibration from rolling my chair with one bad wheel over the floor a massage)

No Free lunch delivered to the cubicles.. But there are some great Sushi Restruants near the Aliso Viejo Office (All you can eat Sushi for $22.00 was great.. but I was miserable the next day!)

No Segways, but you could ask the Warehouse for a ride on the Hand Truck!

Climate is nice to visit in AV.. Poser Team is up near San Fransisco... me, I like my Hot and Humid of the greater part of the year, could do without the Cold and Damp of the other part of the year.

Skiing and Surfing.. Okay, yes it is there in both places.

Sweet Bosses... They are good and fair, sweet might not be a good term (they may think they need to change, and then where would we be)

Bring your dog to work... well yes.. it does happen (I have my Parrot on my shoulder right now.. working on teaching him to bark)

Everyday is Casual Friday... No, this is not true... It is Casual Monday, Casual Tuesday, Casual Wednesday, Casual Thursday, and Casual Friday. (Most that means Khaki and T Shirts or Button Down with no tie.. some it means Shorts and Flip Flops... others it means Swimsuit in the Summer.. not saying any names, but he has a Parrot on his shoulder right now.)

Generally, stock drops give investment opportunity to all! I think the Anyalist reports explain why this happened this time.

ratscloset
aka John

tebop ( ) posted Thu, 12 May 2011 at 9:27 AM

There's a reason why SmithMicro drops. Cause Poser is not good enough, AS YOU ALL GUYS HAVE SAID, for professional quality work.

patorak3d ( ) posted Thu, 12 May 2011 at 10:48 AM

Yes, there is a Pool Table in the Break Room (but little used from the looks)

Excellent!!! 

tebop...i'm beginning to think it's clobberin' time...

SteveJax ( ) posted Thu, 12 May 2011 at 2:17 PM

Quote - tebop...i'm beginning to think it's clobberin' time...

Do I need to make another render? :tt2:

patorak3d ( ) posted Fri, 13 May 2011 at 8:34 AM

i'm wondering if we could put SM's pool table to good use?  Maybe have a pool tournament and part of the procedes go to SM's stocks.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.