Tue, Oct 1, 11:24 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: importing files to Poser 8

Artchitect ( ) posted Tue, 31 May 2011 at 8:09 PM · edited Tue, 01 October 2024 at 11:19 PM

hello, i'm new here and im kind of new to the Poser software and the animation stuff.  and i have plenty of questions...

so how exactly do i import stuff to the program?

what kinds of objects or character can i import?

which types of files are which?

how do i import any kind of picture into poser(not as a background) and just animate it as if it were 3d???

if i do import a character or an object into poser, can i animate it in the same way i animate other characters and objects that come with the software?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 31 May 2011 at 8:35 PM

I think you want Anime Studio Pro, not Poser.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

markschum ( ) posted Tue, 31 May 2011 at 8:40 PM

Sorry to be short, but * Read the Manual * There is one off the Help menu , or the pdf file is in the poser folder.

Poser content loads to the runtime libraries by either extracting a zip file or running a program installer.  You can import obj and a few other formats by using the File menu at the top.

You can either load a picture as a background image or load it to a prop through the material room. It wont be 3d though.

An obj file imported into poser becomes a static prop. (no moving parts)  You can create figures but thats a bit more complicated. 

File extensions  cr2 = figure, pp2 = prop pz2 = pose hr2 = hair fc2 = face mc6 = material collection mt5 = material  there are also files for hand poses , lights and cameras. There are also compressed versions of those categories with slightly different file extensions.

You can buy Poser figures and props to insrall to the Poser runtime libraries, they work the same as the supplied Content. Daz has a bunch of freestuff and an old freestuff area at free.daz3d.com  - use the free archive link on the top left.

There is also free stuff here, daz3d, runtimedna, sharecg, renderotica, animotions, and others.

Artchitect ( ) posted Tue, 31 May 2011 at 10:36 PM

what's a zip file?

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Tue, 31 May 2011 at 10:52 PM · edited Tue, 31 May 2011 at 10:58 PM

a zip file is a compressed archive used by windows and OS X. but you already knew that.

Artchitect ( ) posted Sat, 04 June 2011 at 3:37 PM

ok what about file extensions?

Artchitect ( ) posted Sun, 10 July 2011 at 12:09 AM

wait, i never saw those types of extensions for the importing button on the file section of poser 8...so what does that mean???

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 10 July 2011 at 7:17 AM
Online Now!

It simply means you can import models created with those application or exported as those file extensions.

markschum ( ) posted Sun, 10 July 2011 at 2:14 PM

For Poser content like figures , props, poses, etc you install from the zip or exe installer to the Poser runtime.

For non-poser stuff in obj, 3ds, lwo you can use File, Import and load them into Poser. Anything loaded that way is a Prop and not movable without more work.

Poser file extensions are

cr2 - figure

pp2 - prop

pz2 - pose

hr2 - hair

fc2 - face

there is also a hand library , dont remember the extension

for each of these there is a compressed file form.  cr2 - crz

imports

obj -wavefront obj - standard poser file for geometry

lwo - lightwave version 5

3ds - old format for 3dsmax - all triangles

Artchitect ( ) posted Mon, 11 July 2011 at 9:51 PM

i looked at the import options, and one of the types was "poser document files(pz3, pzz)"

and then there was "poser prop files(pp2, ppz)

i didnt see any other extensions.

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 11 July 2011 at 10:15 PM
Online Now!

The extensions pzz and ppz are compressed versions of pz3 and *pp2. * You will find similarly for each Poser file extension markschum listed in his post above.  They exist in compressed form for those individuals with limited disk space or those individuals who desire to maintain a tidy hard drive. 

bagginsbill ( ) posted Mon, 11 July 2011 at 10:28 PM · edited Mon, 11 July 2011 at 10:28 PM

Artchitect, you seem to think the words "extract", "install", "load", "open", and "import" are all exactly the same word. People are using them differently than you are. People answering your questions are getting confused by your responses.

The File menu has an Import option to bring non-Poser file formats through a converter and then into the scene. The types of files you import are, by definition, not any of the Poser formats. The importable formats are LWO, OBJ, DAE, 3DS, etc. These are exchange formats or they are native formats of other programs.

You're talking about importing a pz3 and that's like talking about eating an airplane. You don't eat airplanes, you fly them. You don't import a pz3, you open it.

File/Import is a different menu item than File/Open

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

MikeMoss ( ) posted Wed, 13 July 2011 at 1:23 AM

Hi

You can use the Import Poser Document or Prop, to import a Poser figure into a window that you already have open.

I.E, you have saved a figure named Donald as a PZ3 file in a folder on your computer and have not added it to the library.  So you can't just open the Figures menu and select it.

Now you have a scene open with another character and you want to add Donald to it.

You go to Import Poser Document or Prop and select Donald, and he will be added to your scene along with the characters and props you already have in it.

If he was saved as a series of frames with animation then the animation will be imported along with him.

You can import the same character multiple times if you want a crowd of Donalds all doing the same thing, like a chorus line! LOL

Mike

If you shoot a mime, do you need a silencer?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.