Tue, Sep 24, 4:13 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 24 12:07 am)

Subject: Faceshop? Anyone? Need Character Set from a Photo.

l8sho ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2011 at 5:36 PM · edited Tue, 24 September 2024 at 4:08 AM

Anyone have Faceshop? I need to take a photograph and make a mesh, character set, whatever, that I can use in Daz3d.

Faceshop is, like, $60 bucks so I need to know that it can do what I want before I buy it.

Alternately, is there anyone out there who has Faceshop who might be willing to make the character for me? It's for a film. I could give you an official credit.

joequick ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2011 at 7:09 PM

Do a google search along the lines of "faceshop daz3d forums" and read a thread or two oggling at all the kind words said by Absalone's multitude of satisfied customers.

@Daz3d
@ShareCG

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2011 at 7:17 PM

Wish I could help. I've managed to get really good copies of faces in Faceshop, but so far as saving that face etc and using it on a 3D model? Have no clue.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

l8sho ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2011 at 8:02 PM

How does Faceshop save files i.e. what's the file format? Have you tried importing it into Daz? How could that not work? They sell it on the Daz site...

l8sho ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2011 at 8:15 PM

Quote - Do a google search along the lines of "faceshop daz3d forums" and read a thread or two oggling at all the kind words said by Absalone's multitude of satisfied customers.

Joe Quick, 

Are you being sarcastic? I did exactly that search (and variations). I couldn't find any discussion of the software -- much less rave reviews.

Does anybody use Faceshop?

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 22 June 2011 at 10:19 PM

Let's put it this way, many have tried with earlier versions and could never achieve any degree of satisfaction.  I have tinkered with it, and never have I created anything usable.  Unless the software has been revamped completely, I wouldn't expect it to return the type results you are anticipating.

Zev0 ( ) posted Thu, 23 June 2011 at 2:10 AM · edited Thu, 23 June 2011 at 2:13 AM

I agree with hborre. Its not accurate at all. Your best bet is Blacksmith3d or even Zbrush if you want to create faces from photos. Facegen is way superior to faceshop but there is no direct Poser or Daz support, which they said would be released last year already. I'm still waiting. Currently I am happy with Blacksmith3d suite, simply because of how you can load your photos directly into your 3d model on a 2d plain.

My Renderosity Store

mihoshi1de ( ) posted Thu, 23 June 2011 at 3:54 AM

The best result I got with Faceshop and Poser was a face half-morphed and half-original when used as morph in Poser.

It might work better with DAZ.

Maybe this tutorial can help you, at least it makes it clear that FS can only get you near your wish, and that you must add a little extra work in DS or Poser: http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=846233

And maybe this will give you an idea of other users success or not: http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=57975

If you want to know about problems with FS and Poser, and the creators way of handling it, search for posts by Cliff Bowman. I think that can give you a good idea. But... I haven't cared about FS anymore since version 4, as I'm a Poser user and use Windows 7 and both didn't seem to get along with FS well enough to put more money into it. shrugs

icprncss2 ( ) posted Thu, 23 June 2011 at 6:27 AM

The current version of FaceShop has been made EZ.  Meaning much of the control over actual creation of the morph has been removed in favor of a simpler less acturate method.

Poser has a morph brush.  Load a couple of hi res squares into your viewport.  Position them.  Attach the side and full face photos or whatever photos you are using the various squares, resize them and use the face camera on the model.  Between the Gen 4 morph packs and the morph brush, you should be able to accomplish a pretty close aproximation without spending any more money.

You can also use magnets to help you along.  PhilC has some excellent magnet tutorials over at PhilC.net.

l8sho ( ) posted Thu, 23 June 2011 at 12:00 PM

Quote - The current version of FaceShop has been made EZ.  Meaning much of the control over actual creation of the morph has been removed in favor of a simpler less acturate method.

Did you mean "more" accurate? If so, that's very encouraging. Thanks!

l8sho ( ) posted Thu, 23 June 2011 at 12:03 PM

Wait. I just re-read what you wrote. 

I don't have Poser.

Can I do what I need to do with Faceshop and Daz3d?

Zev0 ( ) posted Thu, 23 June 2011 at 2:14 PM

Yes you can. The program actually favours daz more than poser.

My Renderosity Store

hornet3d ( ) posted Sat, 25 June 2011 at 4:06 PM
Online Now!

I have had some limited success with Faceshop EZ the earlier versions were hard work and the exported object appeared to be the wrong scale with taken into Poser.  EZ changed this and it may not have been a problem with Daz anyway.  I did get a lot of support when I first tried EZ so I cannot complain about that.  However if you are looking for a ten minute 3d lookalike I would think again as both the mesh and the texture map needs a great deal of pose work.  My textures tended to distort in the lips area. I was using some high quality studies from 3Dsk so that should not have been a problem.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

RobbyBobby ( ) posted Sat, 25 June 2011 at 8:40 PM

The new "EZ" version sucks even more than the "Classic" version.  In the new version Faceshop does all the work and the results look exactly like M4...or V4...or whatever...except that the eyes are freaky looking.  Oh, when I say that the results look like M4...that means exactly like M4 with no morphs.  Like I said, it sucks.

xantor ( ) posted Sat, 25 June 2011 at 10:58 PM · edited Sat, 25 June 2011 at 11:00 PM

I use an older version of faceshop, the textures it makes are ok but do need a lot of work to finish them.  The morphs it makes are not very good, generally.

You would probably be just as well to make your own face texture and morph the figures head to get as close to the person that you can.

l8sho ( ) posted Mon, 27 June 2011 at 3:03 PM

RobbyBobby,

Any chance I could see some of your attempts? Also, were you using EZ with Daz or Poser?

RobbyBobby ( ) posted Mon, 27 June 2011 at 6:41 PM

file_470271.jpg

Stand alone version,with Poser...I don't use DAZ Studio.  Anyway, I ask you to tell me which one is the Base M4, Bernardo Velasco, Bradley Cooper or Chris Evans.  The morphed ones were all done with the "EZ" version from very clear photographs.

xantor ( ) posted Mon, 27 June 2011 at 9:29 PM

It looks like the morph making in faceshop has greatly improved since version 3.7.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.