Mon, Oct 7, 7:36 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 29 9:32 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: New Installatoin: should I install older versions?

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Thu, 30 June 2011 at 4:27 PM · edited Mon, 07 October 2024 at 7:35 AM

I recently got my new PC and am slowly re-building the software library on it.

Was wondering if I should simply install the latest version or install the older 5 / 6 versions of Carrara?

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Thu, 30 June 2011 at 4:54 PM

You won't regret having Carrara 8 on the box. 

thomllama ( ) posted Thu, 30 June 2011 at 4:58 PM

Quote - You won't regret having Carrara 8 on the box. 

hey, is there really anything big between 7 and 8?  Still using 7 (well, "using" is a little exaggerating) ;)

Hexagon, Carrara, Sculptris, and recently Sketchup. 

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Thu, 30 June 2011 at 5:32 PM

Quote - You won't regret having Carrara 8 on the box. 

I have the following in my daz account.

Carrara 5 Pro -- Download Version
Carrara 6.2 Pro - Upgrade from Carrara 5 Pro
Carrara 8 Pro

I skipped 7.

Sueposer ( ) posted Thu, 30 June 2011 at 6:20 PM

You don't need the earlier versions to install C8, but you will have to separately load your old browser and pref's files.

Kixum ( ) posted Fri, 01 July 2011 at 7:53 AM

Sueposer has it right.

Just load C8 on, the serial number you were sent when you upgraded will work.  You don't need to install the older versions.

Then, you will have to reset all your browser and preferences and such but that's something you would have to do no matter what.

No real reason to go back to the old versions.

Let us know how it goes,

-Kix

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Fri, 01 July 2011 at 8:34 PM

The new computer is a fresh install, so I wont have any browser or preferences set.

I still have my old computer, but I dont think there is much on it that I need to carry over.

I store my project files on a NAS (Network Assisted Storage) Device.

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Sat, 02 July 2011 at 6:00 AM

I just tought of one more thing.  32bit or 64bit? The O/S is Windows 7 64-Bit, but if I decide to network render my other machines are 32-bit.

I guess I'll have to test and see if I can mix 64-bit with 32-bit.

Sueposer ( ) posted Sat, 02 July 2011 at 11:16 AM

Danger! ;) Windows 7 gets confused when 2 different versions of a program are installed. When it goes out for updates, it finds 2 versions ready to choose from and hangs up.

Analog-X64 ( ) posted Sat, 02 July 2011 at 1:23 PM

What I mean is.. can I put 64Bit version on my Main PC and 32Bit on the client machines that will help with the network render?

Kixum ( ) posted Sat, 02 July 2011 at 10:52 PM

Since you can get both the 32bit and the 64 bit versions as part of your license, just try them both.  Ultimately, use the same version (build) of Carrara for your main program and render nodes if you can.

-Kix

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.