Fri, Oct 4, 1:25 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 8:39 am)

Subject: Adding More Scripts/Buttons to the Python Script Window Inside Poser

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 12 July 2011 at 7:42 AM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 1:24 PM

I put this into another thread, but  I see more and more posts about python scripts and there seems to be huge interest in shaders etc that are now being based on the use of scripts IE: VSS and others, that I thought the information would be beneficial to people if they didn't already know how to do it.

I think the default number of script buttons in the python window is 10, but you can make sub menus that can hold a whole lot more.

I currently have 2 sub menus, and about to create a 3rd one.

Each sub menu has either a script, or the scriptor's name. In the case of a scriptor's name, that button is actually a sub button which holds scripts created by the scriptor.  For example, Ockham holds 3 buttons inside one of my sub menus and each of the 3 buttons have a number of his scripts under it.

I don't know how many scripts I have in my python window, but it's dozens because I have sub menus to sub menus to sub menus.  The more sub menus you create, the more confusing it can get, but if you are methodical you can go several layers deep with scripts.

Dimension3D taught me how to do sub menus.  Here is the link if you are interested in that:
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=2525895&ebot_calc_page#message_2525895

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 12 July 2011 at 8:07 AM

Thanks, A, this could come in handy.

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 12 July 2011 at 8:16 AM · edited Tue, 12 July 2011 at 8:19 AM

Oh it will!!!

I'm thinking of reworking mine.  Currently in the main menu of the window I have the standard poser scripts, plus 2 sub menus with 1 empty button.

I have been giving some thought that it would be better to have 3 sub menus on the main menu.

Then each of the 3 sub menus could have 9 sub menu buttons (1 button would be set to go back to the main menu).

That would give me 27 sub buttons to actually place scripts.  More if I use of of those sub sub menu puttons for a scriptor's name that would allow me to have 8 or 9 additional buttons available for that person's scripts (1 button would be set to either return to the main menu or go back to the previous one....or maybe even 2 buttons so that I could pick which).

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 12 July 2011 at 8:50 AM · edited Tue, 12 July 2011 at 8:53 AM

file_470799.jpg

Here is an example:

Under the subscripts1, instead of putting in scriptor's names, you could put something like "sub1", "sub2", "sub3" etc, and put 9 individual scripts under each of those sub menus. Giving you 81 individual scripts just for that main menu "Subscript1" button.  Multiply that by 3 if you want to do the same for "Subscript2" and "Subscript3"

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 12 July 2011 at 9:00 AM

file_470800.jpg

Here is another example

wolf359 ( ) posted Tue, 12 July 2011 at 10:50 AM

Wow Very useful info!!!

Thanks

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

Dizzi ( ) posted Tue, 12 July 2011 at 1:59 PM

And for the people who rather like to use shortcuts and have Poser 7 or later:

You can assign a keyboard shortcut to a script in the scripts menu. You just need to change the filename like in the following examle:

From "myscript.py" to "myscript ###Shift+Alt+Ctrl+p.py" and voilà (that means after restarting Poser...) you can run the script by pressing the Alt, Ctrl, Shift and p keys at the same time. 

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 14 July 2011 at 4:06 PM

Thanks, Linda and Dizzi.  Great info.  There are a few Python scripts I use regularly.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

markschum ( ) posted Thu, 14 July 2011 at 6:51 PM

In Poser 7 and up there are two places for scripts on a menu.

The first is the button panel, from Windows, Python scripts.

The second is just the Scripts menu which is populated from

..RuntimePythonposerScriptsScriptsMenu

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 11 September 2012 at 5:26 PM

Moving this up as it's good information

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.