Thu, Sep 19, 8:17 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 3:46 am)

Subject: Software to manipulate clothing?

JapaneseModels ( ) posted Sat, 16 July 2011 at 9:59 PM · edited Fri, 26 July 2024 at 7:03 AM

Hello everybody.

I am making my own video game and I am using Poser Models as characters for the game.

I know it seems it could be very difficult making a game with Poser Models, but it's actually a 2D Fighting game made with MUGEN. I pose and render the characters and create game sprites out of their renders.

I want to somehow be able to make my own clothing for the characters. I don't want to get into trouble by using someone else's clothing in the game. There are so many characters in the game, it would be nuts having to give credit to each artist who made the clothing.

What I would like to know is, is there any software out there that can manipulate/edit Poser clothing? I want to be able to take original clothing and distort them, add my own details and reshape them into my own clothing. I also have my own concepts for the characters and the original clothing that I buy and download may not necessarilly match the clothing in the concept, that's why I want to be able to edit existing poser clothing and match my concepts.

Again, is there any software out there that can manipulate/edit Poser clothing?

Help would greatly be appreciated! :)

Thank you for your time!

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Sat, 16 July 2011 at 10:12 PM

Your best bet is EnglishBob's easyDress/EasySuit or PhilC's Clothing Designer ... you can slice and dice the mesh as you need to.

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

patorak3d ( ) posted Sat, 16 July 2011 at 10:17 PM

For what you plan on doing you might want to try this first LINK.

Then this LINK2

And if worse comes to worse you could talk to these people LINK3

patorak3d ( ) posted Sat, 16 July 2011 at 11:53 PM

Hi JapaneseModels

My apologies...what i meant to say is you should get permission from the content creators first before you rework their creations and use it in a video game even if it is for non-commercial.

markschum ( ) posted Sun, 17 July 2011 at 12:21 AM

You can do some clothing editing just by using transparency maps to make parts of it go away.  That deals with making a t shirt into a tube top for example, making long pants into shorts, or changing necklines. After that you can use the morphing tool, magnets or a modelling program.

You can use anything supplied with Poser and any store purchases (with rare exceptiions) as lonmg as you are just using rendered images in the game.  You dont need to credit merchants. Be very careful with freestuff since a lot of it is flagged as not-for-commercial-use or sometimes a credit must be given.

Good luck with your game. 

• if the game is a commercial project you should get real legal advice *

patorak3d ( ) posted Sun, 17 July 2011 at 1:31 AM

** if the game is a commercial project you should get real legal advice **

Well said,  markschum. 

If you choose to create your own content,  Blender or Wings3d are most excellent.

JapaneseModels ( ) posted Sun, 17 July 2011 at 4:16 PM

Quote - ** if the game is a commercial project you should get real legal advice **

Well said,  markschum. 

If you choose to create your own content,  Blender or Wings3d are most excellent.

Thank you all! No, this game is not for commercial purposes. This game will be free! And using transparency maps is a good idea, I just have to get familiar with the texture map of the clothing.

I will give credit to as many creators as possible, just to be safe.

Thank you all again for your replies! :)

EnglishBob ( ) posted Mon, 18 July 2011 at 9:46 AM

One point these folks are trying to make is that you can only distribute a game made with Poser characters as long as you only use them to make 2D images; you can't distribute the 3D mesh, nor derivatives of it.

ratscloset ( ) posted Mon, 18 July 2011 at 11:04 AM

You can not redistribute the files even if free.. please read the EULA for Poser Content and the EULA in third party content. In most all cases, you can not redistribute (free or otherwise) the files or derivatives of the files.

NOTE: Poser Pro contains two figures which have a special EULA that allows for redistribution in games, provided the files can not be extracted. You may want to consider using Poser Pro 2010 in your workflow.

ratscloset
aka John

markschum ( ) posted Mon, 18 July 2011 at 5:47 PM

read the OP original post. Unless I misread it he is making 2d game sprites. Thats certainly allowed by the EULA unless it has changed recently ?

MatCreator ( ) posted Fri, 29 July 2011 at 9:08 PM

I'm somewhat confused =/

Why would there even be an issue if he was using 2d rendered images of the characters?!? Is this not allowed?!? Are renders not ours?!? I can understand wanting to give credits, but if using the renders causes some type of legal issue, that just "scares" me.................

There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those that can count, and those that can't..

nruddock ( ) posted Sat, 30 July 2011 at 7:23 AM

Quote - I'm somewhat confused =/

I supsect this was caused by someone answering a question that wasn't asked with information that didn't apply to the question that was asked.  

Quote - Why would there even be an issue if he was using 2d rendered images of the characters?!?

There isn't an issue.  

Quote - Is this not allowed?!?

It's allowed.  

Quote - Are renders not ours?!?

Of course they're yours.  

Quote - I can understand wanting to give credits, but if using the renders causes some type of legal issue, that just "scares" me.................

While you can never be completely sure that there won't be legal issues, you can significantly reduce the likelyhood by be diligent about the licenses you have for stuff you use.

estherau ( ) posted Sat, 30 July 2011 at 8:10 AM

You don't need to give credit for using renders in your game of any clothes bought here or at DAz.  

Love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

MatCreator ( ) posted Sat, 30 July 2011 at 4:27 PM

Whew... Scared me for a hot second =P

There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those that can count, and those that can't..

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.