Wed, Sep 18, 10:41 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Library Files cannot be found or created

Vially ( ) posted Sun, 31 July 2011 at 9:35 AM · edited Wed, 24 July 2024 at 10:48 PM

So I have not run my Poser in forever - it's been almost a year, and I decide that I want to try and get back into creating hair - so load up the ole Poser - loads -then Wham - the message that the library files cannot be found or created - I'm like !? - I haven't changed anything and it used to work...

So I install into a completely new folder - same message - this is supposed to be a new install!?

So then I rename the old folder and move it to a different hard drive - then completely uninstall (the new one) and delete everything in the new folder. okay - gone - brand new install - Same message!?!?!?

So I go to the *.Exe and set it to run in 32 compatability mode an to run as administrator... Same damn message!?!

I have verified the folders are there (old), I have veified that everything is in those folders - but even a new install is failing with this message?

Everything is backed up, so I should be able to only have to spend a day or two restoring the files and installing add-ons - but that's only if I can get Poser to realize where it is located!

Win 7 Ultimate, Poser 7

Help!

How do I get my files back online!?

vilters ( ) posted Sun, 31 July 2011 at 9:49 AM

Where did you install the runtime?
Can you point manually to the runtime? The add runtime button?

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

Vially ( ) posted Sun, 31 July 2011 at 9:56 AM

the only thing I did was select run -after teh new install.

I didn't change anything in terms of the folder it wanted to install into.

Vially ( ) posted Sun, 31 July 2011 at 10:44 AM

Okay I think I've figured this out - sort of -

Smith Micro help talks about finding where things are by reviewing a file:

"go to your ...Program FilesSmith MicroRuntimeprefs

Folder and open the DefaultPoser.ini File in Notepad."

This file no longer exists on my system - nor does it get installed on a fresh install.

Not sure what the heck is up with that....

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 31 July 2011 at 11:26 AM
Online Now!

Have you tried installing P7 into it's own folder on your core drive?  UAC may be the culprit and may have reset if you had a recent OS update.  Despite the fact that you are running as adminstrator doesn't negate the fact that your security measures might still be elevated to a level that it still interferes with Program Files access.

Vially ( ) posted Sun, 31 July 2011 at 12:26 PM

I will try that next - right now I am downloading the 8 free trial so I can see what that file looks like - if it loads,

Anyone else actually able to find this file on their systems?

Vially ( ) posted Sun, 31 July 2011 at 2:37 PM

Okay, so

Completely uninstalled poser - went through the registry and deleted everything that had to do with Poser 7 and/or e Frontier -

Logged into my PC as Administrator and re-installed.

Same thing - Poser cannot find hte lybrary folders.

Now here is another interesting thing - when I get through those messages I get one final message that states: File is a newer version than expected, but will try to run anyway -

So somewhere there is STILL something pointing to a previous (updated) installation, which is probably no longer there, which is why it cannot find the %$$#@#@@# lybrary files...

I'm guessing here - about 1 more try away from being a NON-Poser user :(

The whole thing is curious as I have not done ANYTHING with the application or it's location in quite a long time, and well, it worked fine hte last time I used it - and yes - same maching, same everything.

vilters ( ) posted Sun, 31 July 2011 at 4:38 PM · edited Sun, 31 July 2011 at 4:42 PM

You are running Windows 7 right??

do a file search for" Runtime ", on all HD if you have more then one.
Normal instalation you will get 2 returns.
One in the programs folder and one in your public folder.

probably you are a victim of Win7 UAC putting the files in your public folder.

In the library, point to the Runtime in YOUR public folder. That si the runtime where all pser stuff is.
NOT to the runtime in your programs folder. (that one is indeed empty)

Poser, will build its preference files during first launch.
Check for a Poser.ini, after a first launch.

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

ratscloset ( ) posted Sun, 31 July 2011 at 6:02 PM

Poser 7 does not have DefaultPoser.ini in the Prefs by default (you can add it on the last Service Release manually, but it is complicated to set up that way)

That error message means your Library Prefs are corrupted, or your Permissions are blocking Poser from accessing the Library Locations. (with Poser 7, should only impact External drives)

If you have not contacted Support, do so... if you have.. let me know the Incident Number and I will look into this for you. (Site Mail me the Incident Number)

ratscloset
aka John

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.