Tue, Oct 22, 2:37 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 1:40 am)

Subject: Dynamic clothing

pacanne ( ) posted Sun, 02 October 2011 at 8:01 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 2:36 AM

Hi all,

I have been trying to figure out dynamic clothing, but am stuck on a few issues. I am curious about what one does about setting up a piece of clothing and having your model do a sequence of poses. I find that it will work fine for the first few poses, but then for some reason the clothing will not morph correctly after that. I wonder if it is because the colliding parts need to be adjusted---in fact I am not sure exactly how to know which body parts to set as they may be part of the problem.

I tried deleted and reloading the clothing item, and even deleting and recreating a new simulation, but I keep getting the screwed up clothing morphs.

Do I need to create a new simulation for each new pose?

How do you determine colliding body parts?

It is a bit confusing and I haven't found any tutorials which specifically address these questions.

Thanks all!

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Sun, 02 October 2011 at 8:24 PM

Okay, I'll throw my hat into the ring... there are certainly better ones, but this worked for me. 😄

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

pacanne ( ) posted Sun, 02 October 2011 at 9:05 PM

Basically, my question was:

if you have a sequence of poses, do you simply do "Calculate Simulation" for each new pose? Or do you have to do something like "Clear Simulation" before to be able to go on the next pose?

My character is eating a meal and I am capturing her as she eats. If she is wearing dynamic clothing what is the best way to not screw things up...?

Thanks!

FalseBogus ( ) posted Mon, 03 October 2011 at 2:14 AM

Dynamic clothing props generally don't have morphs, so basically you need to have the character in zeroed position without morphs in first frame.

Then you can apply morphs for the char in frame 5, 10 or 15 and apply the final pose in frame 30.

Set the steps per frame high enough so the pose/morph change is not too high between calculationsteps.

You need also avoid figures parts touching each other or going inside each other if there's cloth between them. Like arm going inside torso because it will explode the dynamic clothing mesh.

you can set the animation lenght higher and set the next pose at frame 45 or whatever suits your purpose so you can chain the poses and do it all in 1 calculation.

You're not telling if you are doing stills or animation.

There's a button in cloth room to set figures (and bodyparts) to collide with.

If you have more than 1 dynamic clothing prop you need to do separate simulations for each of them.

Most of the time setting up dynamic clothing is by trial and error to get it the way you want. Atleast for me it is.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Mon, 03 October 2011 at 6:08 AM
Site Admin

You might also pay close atttention to the figure in the frames in between the poses and make sure it's not taking the wrong way  to get to the next pose. Hide the clothes and play the animation.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

pacanne ( ) posted Mon, 03 October 2011 at 12:03 PM

Thanks, guys. What I am still not clear on is what the whole animation thing is for in the first place, especially since  I am doing stills. And, like I say, if I am having my character, Amy, let's say, do a sequence of poses (like cooking and eating), for the first pose I would apply the clothing, and then do the simulation. For the second pose, do I have to have her go back to default pose, or clear the drapery of the simulation, in order to go to the next pose? Or do I simply give her a new pose (in which her body is outside of the drapery), and then simply do "calculate simulation" again?

Thanks!

cfpage ( ) posted Mon, 03 October 2011 at 3:03 PM

If you are doing stills, set pose 1 and run simulation and the last frame export the dynamic cloth as .obj save your characters pose, pose 2 your character's last frame
pose wich you saved goes back to frame 1 import the exported cloth  should fit perfect unless you changed it postion do the next pose and so one
here is and example, I want a siting pose I start the character in zero postion and run simulation to sit down, I export the cloth at the last frame.
my character from the sit down postion say  turns side ways, so I saved the pose from the last frame and it is now frame 1 of pose 2 import and repeat
Note when you import the new obj delet the old one poser still rembers the collision parts just make the new one cloth and no draping.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Mon, 03 October 2011 at 5:10 PM

"What I am still not clear on is what the whole animation thing is for in the first place, especially since  I am doing stills."

In order for cloth - in real life - to look natural, with folds and creases and draping to happen, some movement is required, both by the cloth and by the wearer. What the sim does is create that situation for polygon mesh, which is supposed to be acting as cloth in Poser. So, you start your figure at whatever the cloth designer recommends for starting position in frame 1 and place your figure in your final pose in the last frame of the sim.

What is important to understand is that 30 frames = rough one second... if you cannot put your own body into whatever position the last pose is in one second, don't expect your figure to either (and still have clothing look natural). My sims are almost all 60 frames or more, except for standing poses.

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

pacanne ( ) posted Mon, 03 October 2011 at 8:35 PM

I want to thank all of you guys for the wonderful insights. It has been very helpful.

Just one last question: if I have a scene with multiple figures, and only one has a dynamic cloth, when I run the simulation, why do all the figures move around until they return to their original poses?

Thanks!

FalseBogus ( ) posted Tue, 04 October 2011 at 12:24 AM

They don't unless you change their position between the frames.

corinthianscori ( ) posted Tue, 04 October 2011 at 11:12 AM

Guys...I have video tutorials on youtube. Please head to youtube and type my username into the search and it should pop up just fine. Lots of dynamic tutorials on there from me. Hope they help! And feel to ask me ANYTHING! I use dynamic clothing ALL day long inside Poser and in other 3D apps.
Again, if you have any questions, don't hesistate to ask.

corinthianscori ( ) posted Tue, 04 October 2011 at 11:16 AM

Quote - Thanks, guys. What I am still not clear on is what the whole animation thing is for in the first place, especially since  I am doing stills. And, like I say, if I am having my character, Amy, let's say, do a sequence of poses (like cooking and eating), for the first pose I would apply the clothing, and then do the simulation. For the second pose, do I have to have her go back to default pose, or clear the drapery of the simulation, in order to go to the next pose? Or do I simply give her a new pose (in which her body is outside of the drapery), and then simply do "calculate simulation" again?

Thanks!

Hey again! Please check out the ReadMe on my product called Noa Dress(its simple'est of all my dynamic products). There's a step-by-step tutorial in the ReadMe. Well, there's a step by step in all my products:P yet this is the kind of help you'll need for your first dynamic mission.

corinthianscori ( ) posted Tue, 04 October 2011 at 8:34 PM

Sorry. Was on public computer earlier and could not post the url
http://youtu.be/QLBt9WKWl-Y
copy paste and go:D or click - whatevah!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.