Tue, Oct 1, 11:32 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: sss not work with transparencies?

RedPhantom ( ) posted Fri, 30 September 2011 at 5:55 PM · edited Tue, 01 October 2024 at 11:25 PM
Site Admin

I was comparing a render I did with poser 8 with one I did with pp2012. In addtion to the version I used, I changed 3 things. The dress was moved slightly, I used the evironshere (BB's) to light it instead of a couple lights, and I added sss. The issue I have is that the forhead takes on the color of the hair (see the first picutre) when I add sss. You can see by the second picture there wasn't that problem in the original render. I will also post a shot of the skin texture I used.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

RedPhantom ( ) posted Fri, 30 September 2011 at 5:56 PM
Site Admin

Here is the original render done in P8

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

RedPhantom ( ) posted Fri, 30 September 2011 at 6:01 PM · edited Fri, 30 September 2011 at 6:04 PM
Site Admin

Here is my shader. The result looks black because the lights are still off.

BDDesign ( ) posted Fri, 30 September 2011 at 9:32 PM

If you only applied sss to the skin, then it would have nothing to do with the transparencies of the hair, as it wouldn't affect the hair texture at all.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 30 September 2011 at 11:56 PM

There have been bugs relating to IDL not passing through transparency properly for a while. I showed a long time ago that a large box-room, with one wall being 100% transparent, receives insufficient light compared to the same wall being made invisible.

That may produce a severe artifact when that is the majority of the light being fed to SSS. There's a lot to go wrong in that chain.

Post a bug report with SM. If you don't it may be treated as minor, since so few people write to them about it.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sat, 01 October 2011 at 7:31 AM
Site Admin

OK I'll send a bug. Didn't want to if it was my mistake. Their gonna start hating to see my emails. Thanks

Vestmann ( ) posted Sat, 01 October 2011 at 8:22 AM

I've gotten discoloration of the skin if the scale value in the scatter node is too low.  Try raising the scale value to 1.5 or even 2.

Vestmann's Gallery

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Sat, 01 October 2011 at 4:11 PM

Quote - OK I'll send a bug. Didn't want to if it was my mistake. Their gonna start hating to see my emails. Thanks

They only hate bug report emails if you don't have enough detail. Include everything. Then, guaranteed, they will love you. :biggrin:

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

Eric Walters ( ) posted Sun, 09 October 2011 at 10:59 PM

I ran into the same problem-the workaround is to turn off visible in raytracing for the hair

bantha ( ) posted Mon, 10 October 2011 at 12:06 AM

Don' forget to post to SM too. If more people complain they may feel the need to do it quickly....

A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for.
Sail out to sea and do new things.
-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

Avatar image of me done by Chidori

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.