Fri, Oct 4, 10:25 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 8:39 am)

Subject: Don't forget to set your clocks back tonight

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 29 October 2011 at 7:42 PM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 10:24 AM

We go back 1 hour on Sunday. Don't forget to set your clocks back.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

JenX ( ) posted Sat, 29 October 2011 at 7:55 PM

In the US, we don't go back 1 hour until next weekend.

Nope, doesn't make sense to me, either.  Apparently, congress' idea of magically making things more cost effective.  And, no that doesn't make sense, either, LOL.

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Sat, 29 October 2011 at 8:07 PM

I so wish we had daylight savings here... apparently, it upsets the cows, so we won't see it here in Queensland. :blink: Yes, we have cows out here in Oz, and they have a vote, apparently.

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 29 October 2011 at 8:15 PM

Apparently I'm behind the times!  LOL

http://www.timetemperature.com/tzca/daylight_saving_time_canada.shtml

In Canada we don't change the clocks until the 1st Sunday in November either!  Good thing I posted this thread, otherwise I'd be an hour behind the rest of the world!!!

MacMyers ( ) posted Sat, 29 October 2011 at 9:04 PM

I think DL Savings time is ridiculous.

“So, roll me further B_t__h!”

Teyon ( ) posted Sat, 29 October 2011 at 9:44 PM

I agree Mac. I mean, we're at a point where we don't need to "save daylight" in order to work. We should just scrap the idea.

icprncss2 ( ) posted Sat, 29 October 2011 at 9:54 PM

Daylight Savings Time aka Legislating Daylight.

nobodyinparticular ( ) posted Sun, 30 October 2011 at 1:28 AM

I think the government just likes the power of being able to say when the sun rises and sets.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Sun, 30 October 2011 at 1:32 AM · edited Sun, 30 October 2011 at 1:34 AM

Well, I for one likes it, even if the Queensland cows and you lot disagree. :blink:

New South Wales has daylight savings. New Zealand has daylight savings. Queensland doesn't. We were able to have a lovely dinner and a stroll by the lake at sunset on holidays in Queenstown because of daylight savings.

I just hate sleeping away daylight hours.

Another alternative is to set the time an hour earlier and just leave it that way. :blink:

Metaphor of Chooks

Pol ( ) posted Sun, 30 October 2011 at 1:58 AM · edited Sun, 30 October 2011 at 1:59 AM

Quote - We go back 1 hour on Sunday. Don't forget to set your clocks back.

Done, thanks Acadia.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Sun, 30 October 2011 at 2:09 AM

Quote - > Quote - We go back 1 hour on Sunday. Don't forget to set your clocks back.

Done, thanks Acadia.

Might want to read the rest of the thread, Pol. There's a lot of static, but Acadia did have a wee update... 😄

Metaphor of Chooks

mathman ( ) posted Sun, 30 October 2011 at 2:59 AM

robynsveil, you are a fellow aussie :)  .... down south in Melbourne here.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Sun, 30 October 2011 at 4:36 AM

Melbourne is lovely - spent a week in St Kilda a year ago. All i remember was cyclone-force winds and bitter cold! The day we decided to drive down to the Great Ocean road it was lovely... no dramas at all. Can't remember: do you have daylight savings there?

Metaphor of Chooks

bantha ( ) posted Sun, 30 October 2011 at 5:34 AM · edited Sun, 30 October 2011 at 5:36 AM

Well, I had to turn back the clock here in Germany as well. Thanks for the reminder.

A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for.
Sail out to sea and do new things.
-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

Avatar image of me done by Chidori

mathman ( ) posted Sun, 30 October 2011 at 6:08 AM

Yes, we are on daylight savings now, and we are still having cyclone-force winds and bitter cold !!

NanetteTredoux ( ) posted Sun, 30 October 2011 at 7:56 AM

Here in South Africa we don't have daylight saving either. It always confuses me keeping track of acquaintances in places where they do.

Poser 11 Pro, Windows 10

Auxiliary Apps: Blender 2.79, Vue Complete 2016, Genetica 4 Pro, Gliftex 11 Pro, CorelDraw Suite X6, Comic Life 2, Project Dogwaffle Howler 8, Stitch Witch

MacMyers ( ) posted Sun, 30 October 2011 at 8:28 AM

Here in the states it is now pushed as an energy conservation measure. we save energy by running lights in the early morning instead of early evening.

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 30 October 2011 at 10:22 AM

Quote - Well, I for one likes it, even if the Queensland cows and you lot disagree. :blink:

Yeah! I heard that the reason behind not doing DST is because it upsets the cows.  LOL   

whbos ( ) posted Sun, 30 October 2011 at 11:19 AM

It should be Daylight Savings Time all the time.  Standard time sucks when we go to work in the dark and come home in the dark.  Good times to get mugged.

Poser 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, Pro 2014, 11, 11 Pro

MacMyers ( ) posted Sun, 30 October 2011 at 12:48 PM · edited Sun, 30 October 2011 at 12:50 PM

I live in Florida, work 10 hours per day (7:00 AM to 5:00 PM), and only go to work in the dark during DL Savings time. I come home at dusk sometimes on "Regular"...er I mean "Time" time. DL Savings Time just means Children standing at bus stops in the dark. It's nonsense.

Edited to ad "I'm always right about everything so it's pointless to argue with me".

BDDesign ( ) posted Sun, 30 October 2011 at 12:56 PM

Quote - I live in Florida, work 10 hours per day (7:00 AM to 5:00 PM), and only go to work in the dark during DL Savings time. I come home at dusk sometimes on "Regular"...er I mean "Time" time. DL Savings Time just means Children standing at bus stops in the dark. It's nonsense.

Edited to ad "I'm always right about everything so it's pointless to argue with me".

Isn't that backwards? It gets light earlier in the morning and dark earlier in the evening during daylight savings time. In fact, I thought one reason that the old tradition has been continued here in the US was so that kids did not have to wait at the bus stop in the dark?

byheart ( ) posted Sun, 30 October 2011 at 1:22 PM

O, WOW!  The first time I ventured into Poser forum for help and I find it's clock changing time . . . thank you, thank you.  I usually just wait until I notice it's changed on the computer . . .

Pol ( ) posted Sun, 30 October 2011 at 2:55 PM

Quote - Melbourne is lovely.........

I love Melbourne, the shopping is great, so many different restaurants.  I wish to go back one day.

KimberlyC ( ) posted Mon, 31 October 2011 at 12:26 AM

:scared: I was worried I was late all day and didn't notice it. lol

Klebnor ( ) posted Mon, 31 October 2011 at 7:10 AM

Quote - I live in Florida, work 10 hours per day (7:00 AM to 5:00 PM), and only go to work in the dark during DL Savings time.

What, no lunch?

Lotus 123 ~ S-Render ~ OS/2 WARP ~ IBM 8088 / 4.77 Mhz ~ Hercules Ultima graphics, Hitachi 10 MB HDD, 64K RAM, 12 in diagonal CRT Monitor (16 colors / 60 Hz refresh rate), 240 Watt PS, Dual 1.44 MB Floppies, 2 button mouse input device.  Beige horizontal case.  I don't display my unit.

SteveJax ( ) posted Mon, 31 October 2011 at 8:00 AM

Doesn't affect night owls like me in the least.

MacMyers ( ) posted Mon, 31 October 2011 at 1:05 PM

Lunch at desk.

Klebnor ( ) posted Mon, 31 October 2011 at 1:09 PM

Try the philly cheese steak at Beef O'Bradys @ Tarpon Woods golf course.  Delicious!

P.S. Curly fries good as well.

Lotus 123 ~ S-Render ~ OS/2 WARP ~ IBM 8088 / 4.77 Mhz ~ Hercules Ultima graphics, Hitachi 10 MB HDD, 64K RAM, 12 in diagonal CRT Monitor (16 colors / 60 Hz refresh rate), 240 Watt PS, Dual 1.44 MB Floppies, 2 button mouse input device.  Beige horizontal case.  I don't display my unit.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 31 October 2011 at 1:32 PM

I set my clock forward 4 hours instead.  Thought I'd get the jump on everyone that way.

:) 

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

MacMyers ( ) posted Mon, 31 October 2011 at 4:11 PM

Klebnor. I've had them! I live about 300 yards south of Tarpon Woods.

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 31 October 2011 at 4:20 PM

Wow, from to time to food.  What's next?

MacMyers ( ) posted Mon, 31 October 2011 at 6:15 PM

Hmmmmm.... Let's see... uhm I have a headache. And I like your suit. But not in a gay way. Well.... not a REALLY gay way.

LaurieA ( ) posted Mon, 31 October 2011 at 9:36 PM · edited Mon, 31 October 2011 at 9:40 PM

I think we should start a petition to abolish Daylight Savings Time :P. Useless. The scenario for which it was created no longer exists ;).

Sorry..I don't have any food comments.  I got to the show late...lol.

Laurie

LaurieA ( ) posted Mon, 31 October 2011 at 9:45 PM

Quote - I set my clock forward 4 hours instead.  Thought I'd get the jump on everyone that way.

:) 

grichter ( ) posted Tue, 01 November 2011 at 4:40 AM · edited Tue, 01 November 2011 at 4:41 AM

Curious, what do you people do with all the daylight you saved up?

You have daylight savings. But there is no daylight spending that I know of.

It's not like you can spend it in the marketplace here. So how do you get rid of it?

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 01 November 2011 at 9:14 AM

Well, you could always spend it blind drunk.  :)

My Store

My Gallery

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Tue, 01 November 2011 at 2:14 PM

misread title as send your checks to 😄

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

Klebnor ( ) posted Wed, 02 November 2011 at 7:30 AM

Quote - Klebnor. I've had them! I live about 300 yards south of Tarpon Woods.

Warning - OT - (do not read any further if you are infuriated by non-Poser related posts even in threads which clearly have nothing to do with Poser).

If you're in Woodlands, then you must know the Lagerhaus Brewery as well - it's across from boot ranch by the intersection of Tampa road.  Very good Jaeger Schnitzel - as big as your head (well, my head anyway).

I have a place in Lansbrook, but don't get down there as much as I'd like (especially this time of year - early snow and massive power outages in CT).  Site mail me if you want to get together for a beer some time.

Klebnor

Lzy724 ( ) posted Wed, 02 November 2011 at 8:33 AM

Isnt it strange, we change our clocks at a different time for the kiddies who go to school, so they dont have to stand out in the dark. boo hoo. I did it, why cant they? LOL.

Klebnor ( ) posted Wed, 02 November 2011 at 8:50 AM

To be fair, it also increases efficiency - heat and light requirements are decreased by maximizing sunlight hours of occupancy in schools and businesses.  It's simply easier for a mass time change versus individual changes in opening hours for thousands of schools and businesses.

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 02 November 2011 at 10:14 AM · edited Wed, 02 November 2011 at 10:14 AM

Quote - Isnt it strange, we change our clocks at a different time for the kiddies who go to school, so they dont have to stand out in the dark. boo hoo. I did it, why cant they? LOL.

Really...why can't our kids go thru the torture we did? LOLOL.

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 02 November 2011 at 10:16 AM

Quote - To be fair, it also increases efficiency - heat and light requirements are decreased by maximizing sunlight hours of occupancy in schools and businesses.  It's simply easier for a mass time change versus individual changes in opening hours for thousands of schools and businesses.

It's pretty much a no brainer that in our modern society, it being light or dark at a different time of day really makes no difference. Most things run all day these days...into the normal hours of darkness, including schools, stores, whatever. Today's society is "on" all the time.

Laurie

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 02 November 2011 at 1:28 PM

AFAIK, it was nothing to do with kids and their safety but everything to do with agriculture.

Anyhow, if safety was the main requirement, it's best to scrap the changes.  Studies show that there are a greater proportion of accidents during dark evenings, compared to dark mornings. 

My Store

My Gallery

Klebnor ( ) posted Wed, 02 November 2011 at 1:40 PM

Quote - From Daylight Saving Time at webexhibits.org:

"A poll conducted by the U.S. Department of Transportation indicated that Americans liked Daylight Saving Time because "there is more light in the evenings / can do more in the evenings." A 1976 survey of 2.7 million citizens in New South Wales, Australia, found 68% liked daylight saving. Indeed, some say that the primary reason that Daylight Saving Time is a part of many societies is simply because people like to enjoy long summer evenings, and that reasons such as energy conservation are merely rationalizations.

According to some sources, DST saves energy. Studies done by the U.S. Department of Transportation in 1975 showed that Daylight Saving Time trims the entire country's electricity usage by a small but significant amount, about one percent each day, because less electricity is used for lighting and appliances. Similarly, in New Zealand, power companies have found that power usage decreases 3.5 percent when daylight saving starts. In the first week, peak evening consumption commonly drops around five percent."

I doubt it's agriculture - very few roosters have alarm clocks, and those that do can't set them properly.

"It's very important to have the proper amount of suction" - Sir James Dyson

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 02 November 2011 at 3:00 PM

I was under the impression that it was for agricultural reasons as well. Get up earlier in the morning to milk the cows ;).

Laurie

moogal ( ) posted Wed, 02 November 2011 at 6:22 PM

Quote - Doesn't affect night owls like me in the least.

Really?  I thought we had it the worst!  When you sleep in until 1 or so, the days are already short enough by October's end.  Take off another hour so that it gets fully dark by 5:30, and it's far too easy for us night owls to get a bad case of SAD.  

Unless you are just waiting for the Sun to go down to start your day...

Klebnor ( ) posted Fri, 04 November 2011 at 7:11 AM

Quote - I was under the impression that it was for agricultural reasons as well. Get up earlier in the morning to milk the cows ;).

Laurie

Given this hypothesis, perhaps the cows had something to do with starting DST.  The later they're milked, the warmer the hands.  I'm just sayin' ... who wants cold hands on their udders!

Acadia ( ) posted Fri, 04 November 2011 at 7:20 AM

Quote - I was under the impression that it was for agricultural reasons as well. Get up earlier in the morning to milk the cows ;). Laurie

Apparently the cows in Australia like to sleep in, because Australia doesn't do DST because it upsets the cows ;)

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 04 November 2011 at 9:25 AM

Damn finickey cows ;).

Laurie

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.