Fri, Sep 20, 2:36 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Help!

goido ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2001 at 4:27 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 2:34 PM

This is not related to Bryce but I know there is a lot of smart people here who could help me. I can not open anything from my control panel. I was trying to open add/remove programs and I could not.Same with power managment or anything else.I only can when going to Help and looking for add/remove or power managment and when prompted to click here to go to this programms, then i get to the location. What kind of weird bug is this? Please help. Andres.

Deathbringer ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2001 at 6:13 PM

format c:/ hehe

jsa2001 ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2001 at 7:55 PM

try and restore your back up registry

chanson ( ) posted Fri, 24 August 2001 at 9:27 PM

This happened to a friend of mine some time ago. I could never figure out what happened (or what her 11 year old girl downloaded that screwed up every thing...). I had to reinstall Windows to fix it.

kaom ( ) posted Sat, 25 August 2001 at 12:13 AM

Reformat C, reinstall windows, the only real cure to windows problems, and it'll run like a champ.

HairBall ( ) posted Sat, 25 August 2001 at 3:00 AM

Buy a Mac.

Deibuzo ( ) posted Sat, 25 August 2001 at 3:12 AM

Seems like the SirCam Virus ... replaces rundll32.exe and other things ... try a virus-cleaner ... a free/good one is on the symantec / Norton Site.

RimRunner ( ) posted Sat, 25 August 2001 at 8:52 AM

Although some of these answers may seem a bit drastic, they are right. If you run the anti-virus and your system comes up clean, then something youve installed and/or done has corrupted some vital DLLs that Windows requires. Sometimes installing Windows on top of itself will cure this, but not always. It might just be a way for you to waste an additional hour or so. If you want to just skip the installation over the top of Windows, or, in the case of a lot of pre-configured canned systems, you only have a restore CD, youll have to go with a complete reinstallation. Back up your data first (obvious I know, but worth saying). Also any applications that youve done a lot of work with. Here I mean, Bryce. If youve imported a lot of presets, objects and such, these are stored in the Bryce Program directory. This is one reason its a good idea to have at least 2 hard drives (physical ones) in your system. So that you can run critical applications from the 2nd and Windows from the 1st. Also helps to backup one drive to the other, speed wise, then, depending on the type of backup you do, move that to tape or Jaz disk. HTH - James

The doctor says I have way too much blood in my caffeine system.

goido ( ) posted Sat, 25 August 2001 at 5:00 PM

Gee, thanks! I was fearing the dreaded reinstall! I have the windows 95 restore disk and the first windows 98 upgrade, wich means I would have to download all the patches and windows updates. Last time it was done by a computer expert that charge me $ 175 to fix it( reinstall). I will run my Norton Antivirus 2001 and see what happens. Thanks.

EricofSD ( ) posted Mon, 27 August 2001 at 1:16 AM

You can run windows and reinstall it. Since you have a restore disk, I presume you have some proprietary computer that doesn't have a Microsoft Windows install disk. Run the reinstall if the AV doesn't work. Folks who have the full install disk of Windows can run setup from within windows and rebuild most of the OS while keeping alltheir settings. Runing setup from a DOS prompt fixes more and still keeps most settings. format or fdisk is quite drastic. Backup before you do that. Don't feel bad, I had a room mate call me at work and ask what it means when the black screen comes up and says it can't find the MBR. In order to save the drive, I had to move the MBR to a different sector. Fdisk didn't help. Lost all the data too. Have no idea what he did.

goido ( ) posted Mon, 27 August 2001 at 2:22 PM

Yes, Eric once I run my restore disk on my Compaq I get exactly what I had whe I bought the computer almost 4 years ago. Windows 95 and the other junk that I hardly used. Most of my back up would be Poser (1.4) gigs and a few other things. It is still a pain.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.