Sun, Oct 6, 5:39 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 06 11:30 am)

Subject: Something I discovered that everyone else already knew.

MacMyers ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 6:04 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 5:38 PM

I've been out to some of the "Free 3D Model" sights today and found multiple instances of Poser/Daz models I bought or wishlisted de-rigged and slapped up in .3ds, .obj or .Max formats with some dufus claiming to be the artists. LOTS of them.

It's really bizzare and apparently all over the place.

“So, roll me further B_t__h!”

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 03 November 2011 at 7:18 PM

There's one guy at ShareCG who ripped off a bunch of commercial models from one of the architecture model sites and claimed he made 'em.  I wouldn't have known, except that a job I did a year or so back had some of these models in the project.

There was also some prat who'd ripped off a well known version of Terminator endoskeleton, subdivided it and passed it off as his own work.

Outright piracy is bad enough but claiming someone else's hard work as your own is beyond the pale, IMO.

BTW, I don't think it's bizarre at all; that is, unfortunately, a common part of human nature.  There are millions of Walter Mittys out there. 

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

originalkitten ( ) posted Fri, 04 November 2011 at 5:33 AM

Lol I had a relative named Walter and his wife was Mitty. 

"I didn't lose my mind, it was mine to give away"

Acadia ( ) posted Fri, 04 November 2011 at 7:17 AM

Quote - Lol I had a relative named Walter and his wife was Mitty. 

confused  Are you sure you posted this in the right thread?

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 04 November 2011 at 7:26 AM

Quote - > Quote - Lol I had a relative named Walter and his wife was Mitty. 

See my post, Linda. :) 

My Store

My Gallery

originalkitten ( ) posted Fri, 04 November 2011 at 8:25 AM

Lmao guess ya gotta be English to know what we meant. Lol. 

"I didn't lose my mind, it was mine to give away"

MacMyers ( ) posted Fri, 04 November 2011 at 8:57 AM

Nah... I knew what you meant.

“So, roll me further B_t__h!”

WandW ( ) posted Fri, 04 November 2011 at 10:24 AM · edited Fri, 04 November 2011 at 10:25 AM
Online Now!

I recall once downloading a free indoor scene in .obj and discovering it was V4 sitting on the couch.

When I fisrt got into the hobby I had downloaded some 'free' stuff that turned out not to be-I had to rebuld my runtimes from scratch...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 04 November 2011 at 11:17 AM

Wand - me too.  There was a great free texture for V2, which turned out to be a recoloured version of StefyZZ's work.

I may not be the most prolific at making stuff but at least I can say it's all my own work. 

My Store

My Gallery

SteveJax ( ) posted Sat, 05 November 2011 at 2:29 AM

I am constantly finding the default Poser people up for sale at a very well known and expensive CG trading house that starts with Turbo and smells somewhat fishy. I usually just report them to SM and move along.

JenX ( ) posted Sat, 05 November 2011 at 12:25 PM

Quote - I recall once downloading a free indoor scene in .obj and discovering it was V4 sitting on the couch.

When I fisrt got into the hobby I had downloaded some 'free' stuff that turned out not to be-I had to rebuld my runtimes from scratch...

I think we've all had that happen to us, especially in the earlier days.  I think it's why, when someone was caught reselling another vendor's stuff, the torches and pitchforks came out so readily.  It's not that someone stole, it's that we'd been screwed over AGAIN.  :/

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

nobodyinparticular ( ) posted Sun, 06 November 2011 at 4:22 PM

When I recently started searching for Poser content, a good percentage of hits were "file sharing" sites. I think almost every Poser item ever made is advertised as available. Kind of sad.

When I first announced I would be doing Poser work among the small community I inhabited, a producer of live videos generously offered to host my work. Even if I get to that point I don't think I'll be doing commercial videos. What's the point when they'll only be on Youtube the next day?

Thank you to all the vendors and producers of authentic freebies. Where would we beginners (and others) be without you?

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 07 November 2011 at 7:18 PM · edited Mon, 07 November 2011 at 7:19 PM

Since I can't buy anything from the vendors, I usually stick to the freebies on here, and what I already have in Poser 8. I don't search the web for free content because I noticed a lot of it was taken from Poser. If I wanted that, I know how to export the .obj file and fiddle with it myself. Same for textures and maps... I would never post something and claim it was mine, though. That's just wrong.

Case in point: my costume. I let everyone know from the get-go that it was just created from Simon's original mesh. Every part of it except the cape came from him. The cape came from a tutorial that I tailored to work in Wings. So it's not really mine either.

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 07 November 2011 at 7:34 PM

I believe you can honestly claim the cape as your own, even if you based it off a tutorial.  It's not as if you ripped off a mesh and besides, everyone has to learn to use their software.

My Store

My Gallery

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 07 November 2011 at 8:02 PM

Quote - I believe you can honestly claim the cape as your own, even if you based it off a tutorial.  It's not as if you ripped off a mesh and besides, everyone has to learn to use their software.

That's true. I guess I can claim it. But I wouldn't try to sell it or give it away. It has attachment points I still have to fix anyhow...

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

shuy ( ) posted Tue, 08 November 2011 at 2:53 PM

When I placed my products in store I checked warez sites, because I was curious if they are stolen. After few days I gave up. Searching them or reporting if they are found is nonsense. Any file deleted from sharing server will be uploaded again after few days or even hours.

Most of warez sites are Russian. People who use them never buy anything. Most of them simply do not understand what does "copyright" means. I'm from Poland. Couple years ago the same was in my country. Most important reason was lack of distribution system. It was impossible to buy legal copy of software or music. Illegal copies were only what you can buy. Anyway real changes were visible when market changed. We were not only customers, but producers as well.

The same will be with most of "free" content. People grow up within few years.

Of course there is small group of people who never change. According Gauss curve in every population you can find thiefts, honest people and ... idiots ;)

If I would find suitacase with million $ I have moral dilema, but if I would find vallet with 100$ I have no dilema. Most people prefer to be honest then have 100$. They must just understand, that money and copyright have owners.

bob1965 ( ) posted Wed, 09 November 2011 at 6:38 PM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - Lol I had a relative named Walter and his wife was Mitty. 

Great.

Thanks guys.

With the Walter Mitty references I've got this,

"Every bit of clothing ought to make you pretty

You can cut the clothing, gray is such a pity

I should wear the clothing of Mr. Walter Mitty

See my tailor, he's called Simon, I know it's going to fit ",

going through my head.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 10 November 2011 at 8:08 AM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - > Quote - Lol I had a relative named Walter and his wife was Mitty. 

Great.

Thanks guys.

With the Walter Mitty references I've got this,

"Every bit of clothing ought to make you pretty

You can cut the clothing, gray is such a pity

I should wear the clothing of Mr. Walter Mitty

See my tailor, he's called Simon, I know it's going to fit ",

going through my head.

Fantastic song.  Loved Ian Dury's stuff.

My Store

My Gallery

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.