Fri, Sep 20, 4:32 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser Technical

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

Poser Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 17 7:30 pm)

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum.

Where computer nerds can Pull out their slide rules and not get laughed at. Pocket protectors are not required. ;-)

This is the place you come to ask questions and share new ideas about using the internal file structure of Poser to push the program past it's normal limits.

New users are encouraged to read the FAQ sections here and on the Poser forum before asking questions.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Odd Poser Problem

novelist999 ( ) posted Sat, 10 December 2011 at 4:56 PM · edited Thu, 25 July 2024 at 2:08 AM

I'm having some odd problems with Poser 7, which seem to have developed overnight.  Render times suddenly greatly increased though I'm doing nothing different and using the same lights and same characters.  Poser sometimes puts the wrong texture on the character, etc. when I click the texture in the pose directory.  Sometimes Poser can't find a texture, and I have to hunt through the directory for it--though it was in the right directory all along.   And when I render objects, the color sometimes comes out odd for no reason and no change in the material setting.

It seems like Poser is confused.  Corrupted poser files?  A virus?  I'm not sure what to do.  My harddrive is also nearly maxed out, and I wonder if that could be the problem.  I have a lot installed in Poser.  I'd also downloaded and installed some free props a few days ago, and I wonder if that could be causing the problem.

SAMS3D ( ) posted Sat, 10 December 2011 at 6:15 PM

I know that if you thin out your library, it may help your software work better.  Just move some of your library to another area outside of poser if you can.

novelist999 ( ) posted Mon, 12 December 2011 at 9:47 AM

Thanks, Sam. I'll try that. I'd heard long ago that Poser can become wacky if too much is installed in it but I've never had trouble with it until now.

P3Design ( ) posted Thu, 05 January 2012 at 3:03 AM

Please try this:

http://support.smithmicro.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2076/~/solving-weird-issues-with-poser-by-removing-the-preferences

If this doesnt solve the issue please contact Smith Micro, they are always very willing to help :)

PJared ( ) posted Sat, 14 January 2012 at 6:09 AM

I had similar intermitent problems.  I had to reinstall but did the following changes:

Only installed specific content that needs to go in the Poser directory (Daz3d figures and their collection of morphs, Poser Python Scripts, and Effects that used scripting).

All other content was installed in separate runtime folders.  I have content from various Vendors ( I need a database to keep track of my stuff).  Also, when I have a problem with textures and morphs it's easier to troubleshoot.  Use 'Collections' in Poser if your tired of manuevering through directories.

Routinely rutinely run Hard Disk utilities (Defrag & ScanDisk) on a weekly basis or whenever I transfer large batches of files.

Daily scan and update anti-virus.

Daily run OS updates.

Leave a large portion of your hard drive free for virtual memory (cache). You can also set an external drive for your cache, but Pose still leaves some files on your C drive.

When I run a large batch of renders, I'll manually check Poser Cache to delete the old unused files.  When poser renders it leaves files on your pc, similar to caching for web sites.  I've had those files corrupted before and had Poser crash and act funny.

It's a two-fold process.  Maintain the OS/Hardware, and maintain Poser.  PS. AVScan all downloaded content no matter how trivial or small.  I've caught a couple of suspect files already.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.