Sun, Oct 6, 11:24 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Software to create a 3D head...

rokket ( ) posted Wed, 04 January 2012 at 8:18 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 11:19 AM

... from photos?

I remember seeing a thread about software that lets you create a head from a photo or series of photos. I can't remember the name of the software, only that it was free. I was going to download it, but then ran out of time and energy.

Can someone point me in the direction of that software, if you know what I am referring to? Thanks!

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

BionicRooster ( ) posted Wed, 04 January 2012 at 8:24 PM
Forum Moderator

Attached Link: FaceGen Modeler

Facegen modeler would be the only one I can think of.

You can play around with the demo, and they have an exporter for it now that makes morphs for Genesis (IF anyone is interested.)

Poser 10

Octane Render

Wings 3D

ashley9803 ( ) posted Wed, 04 January 2012 at 8:24 PM

I think it's this-

FaceShop

Never worked for me. Good luck.

MacMyers ( ) posted Wed, 04 January 2012 at 8:32 PM

I have FacedShop. It does almost sorta not really ok for faces but you are on your own for the rest of the head.

FaceGen Does OK but leaves you with a floating head.

Poser's Faceroom is really the best I've found.

“So, roll me further B_t__h!”

rokket ( ) posted Wed, 04 January 2012 at 8:58 PM

The one I was thinking of was Loomis Faceworx. I tried to download it, but the site I was attempting to get it off was trying to download some other program. Hmmmm...

I looked at FaceGen Modeller, but it's pricey...

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 04 January 2012 at 10:04 PM

FaceGen Modeller is, perhaps, the better software for creating 3D faces from photos.  The issue is exporting the newly created features to a character of your choice.  I haven't been to the site in quite some time, and only support available was for V4.  However, exportation involved remapping the head UV to accept map.  Many things may have changed.  Faceshop never worked well for me.  The head morphs were always misshapen and unusable but the texture maps had potential.

markschum ( ) posted Wed, 04 January 2012 at 10:36 PM

The poser software itself will do that with a bit of effort. The faceroom I think works only with the included Poser figures.

ejp01 ( ) posted Wed, 04 January 2012 at 11:42 PM

Go to download.cnet.com.

Do a search for Loomis faceworx.

That should get you in the right direction.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Thu, 05 January 2012 at 3:39 AM

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

Ian Porter ( ) posted Thu, 05 January 2012 at 4:28 AM

I have tried Faceshop but it is very difficult to get a realistic result from it. Facegen works really well and there is an exporter for Genesis which works with the free version of the main Facegen application, including the Photofit.

The face shop in Poser is a stripped down version of Facegen.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Thu, 05 January 2012 at 4:51 AM

Quote - I have tried Faceshop but it is very difficult to get a realistic result from it. Facegen works really well and there is an exporter for Genesis which works with the free version of the main Facegen application, including the Photofit.

The face shop in Poser is a stripped down version of Facegen.

I think the OP mentioned he was after Loomis Faceworx. I've provided the link.

Metaphor of Chooks

MacMyers ( ) posted Thu, 05 January 2012 at 6:06 AM

Faceworx doesn't work for everyone. Texture export problems. Loomis dumped it so I was never able to export anything. Shame.

“So, roll me further B_t__h!”

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Thu, 05 January 2012 at 6:10 AM

Oh. That's not good. So, FaceGen is still pretty much the only real option. Only it's costly.

Metaphor of Chooks

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 07 January 2012 at 11:26 AM

I got Faceworx, and yeah, it's not all that. I was trying to create a face of my daughter, but I think I will just get my sleeves rolled up and dive full-on into Blender and learn to create a character there. See you in 3 years with the result... :biggrin:

Mark@poser ( ) posted Sat, 07 January 2012 at 12:21 PM

Since the OP has opened the door to other software for facial modeling, I'd like to suggest you look at Blacksmith3D's Morph program. I've used it to make some difficult morphs for V4. Import and export coldn't be easier between Poser and the code. There are some nice videos of it on Youtube. I got it on sale last year and wouldn't take for it. There's an example or two of it's use in my gallery.

http://www.daz3d.com/i/shop/itemdetails/?item=11776

Good luck

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 07 January 2012 at 2:20 PM

I am not looking at making a morph, I want to do an original head. I am going to try Wings 3D first, while I am learning Blender...

Later on, I will create the whole character. But that will be a looooong time from now...

bantha ( ) posted Sat, 07 January 2012 at 2:39 PM · edited Sat, 07 January 2012 at 2:42 PM

file_477186.jpg

If you don't want to animate it, I would suggest you take a look at [Sculptris](http://www.pixologic.com/sculptris/). Different approach, you will end with a high-poly model which will have to be resurfaced before you can animate it, but it's worth a shot. My devil head was done with Sculptris, it did not need that long for me to get something usefull out of it. It's a bit like working with clay, it adds polys as needed. 

Try it, it's free. 

A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for.
Sail out to sea and do new things.
-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

Avatar image of me done by Chidori

NanetteTredoux ( ) posted Sat, 07 January 2012 at 2:43 PM

If you want to do an original, stand-alone head, sculpt it in Blender or Sculptris.

Poser 11 Pro, Windows 10

Auxiliary Apps: Blender 2.79, Vue Complete 2016, Genetica 4 Pro, Gliftex 11 Pro, CorelDraw Suite X6, Comic Life 2, Project Dogwaffle Howler 8, Stitch Witch

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 07 January 2012 at 4:59 PM

Quote - If you don't want to animate it, I would suggest you take a look at Sculptris. Different approach, you will end with a high-poly model which will have to be resurfaced before you can animate it, but it's worth a shot. My devil head was done with Sculptris, it did not need that long for me to get something usefull out of it. It's a bit like working with clay, it adds polys as needed. 

Try it, it's free. 

I will take a look at it. I've heard of this before, but I wasn't into modelling then, as I has just purchased Poser and had no idea what I was doing then...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.