Thu, Sep 19, 5:25 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 4:23 pm)

Subject: I Swear, I'm Innocent!

shorterbus ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2012 at 1:33 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 5:14 PM

I recently purchased Poser 2012. To facilite work flow, I loaded it onto two seperate computers sitting side by side so I could set up animations on one computer then send it to the second computer via a file transfer cable for rendering while working on the next scene on the first computer. But, when I try to save anything, a little window comes up and says "Someone out there is using the same serial number!" and shuts me down.

Does this make me a criminal? Is there any way around this? Why do I always end up feeling like Smith Micro is eager to take a dump on me?

FrankT ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2012 at 1:37 PM

that's because you aren't supposed to use it on 2 computers at the same time.  If it's only rendering, I vaguely recall theres a render Q application in later versions of Poser which should do what you want

(sorry I can't be any more precise than that - I don't render in Poser)

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

hborre ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2012 at 1:37 PM · edited Thu, 26 January 2012 at 1:39 PM
Online Now!

You can only run one copy at a time of Poser on a shared network (home network).  Nothing unique about that; it happens with previous versions.  However, you can render in background which will allow you to continue working in Poser and other scenes.

26Fahrenheit ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2012 at 2:09 PM

Quote - I recently purchased Poser 2012. To facilite work flow, I loaded it onto two seperate computers sitting side by side so I could set up animations on one computer then send it to the second computer via a file transfer cable for rendering while working on the next scene on the first computer. But, when I try to save anything, a little window comes up and says "Someone out there is using the same serial number!" and shuts me down.

Does this make me a criminal? Is there any way around this? Why do I always end up feeling like Smith Micro is eager to take a dump on me?

yeah like the others say ..thats a no no .. but .. euh... switch one off the network ..

so one is not connected to the internet or your home network..and no popups or shutdown s anymore

But its more cool to just get a extra license ..at 60 bucks orso .. 

HERE are my FREEBEE's

bopperthijs ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2012 at 4:39 PM

If you have poserpro2012, why don't you use queuemanager for rendering on the second computer? That's completely legal and it is made for this purpose: You can set up a whole network of five computers just for rendering animations. (what FrankT mentioned, sorry I overread that) I've tried it at home with my wife's and daughter's computers and my laptop and it works great. (In fact, I did that with poserpro2010, but I'm suppose 2012 will work the same way, haven't tried that yet)

Best regards,

Bopper.

-How can you improve things when you don't make mistakes?

vilters ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2012 at 5:21 PM

Installing the Queue manager on multiple systems to create a render farm.
Manual Page 26
Using the Queue Manager from Page 411 in the manual.

You can ONLY Run One Poser licence in a home network.
But you can use Queue manager installations to distribute background renderings.
=> Render In Queue in the render settings.

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

grichter ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2012 at 5:42 PM

Quote -
You can ONLY Run One Poser licence in a home network.

Is that one poser licence at a time? (meaning both with the same serial number) or just one copy of Poser, period?

I am about to buy a second license for a win7 laptop I drag around with me while traveling, vs my old Mac Book Pro. Base unit is a Mac Pro desktop. When at home I plan to run both on the same network, and even connected to a network drive array.

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

PrecisionXXX ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2012 at 5:50 PM

You can run it in as many machines as you want, as long as you have individual licenses for each machine. 

The "I" in Doric is Silent.

SaintFox ( ) posted Thu, 26 January 2012 at 9:20 PM

If the Queue Manager doesn't work for you out of any reason you can as well save the whole animation and use the Script CollectSceneInventory (Scripts Menu-->Utilities) and save out everything you need to render. Then move it to the server and when your work on your main computer is done shut down Poser, start it on the Server, open the scene and render it (while you sleep). You can install Poser on a second computer (I run a complete backup on my server just for the case everything goes overboard on my main pc) without the need to have a second license - this way you can choose the place where you work as you desire it.

I'm not always right, but my mistakes are more interesting!

And I am not strange, I am Limited Edition!

Are you ready for Antonia? Get her textures here:

The Home Of The Living Dolls

infinity10 ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2012 at 3:48 AM

Ahem... if your content runtimes are not on second computer, your PZ3 file might contain confusing reference links over the network, and your second poser application could get a headache.  Use the Q Manager, if possible.

Eternal Hobbyist

SaintFox ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2012 at 4:18 AM

The Collect-Script really works. I've tried it out with the Smith-Micro support: They needed a pz3 that caused an error here and beside V4 all I used for the scene was not available on their site (textures, custom-morph, clothes, hair). I used the "Collect Scene Inventory" script to send them the scene and they where able to recreate the error.

I tried the same with a customer who had a problem with Antonia and a converted dynamic item by me. I have Antonia and my own original product of course but I did not have the materials he made on his own and most of all not the converted clothing (WW2 creates a new object). So I asked him to collect the scene inventory and to send it with the pz3 and I could open it flawlessly, it even contained all the render-settings, the handmade materials and textures and so on.

I'm not always right, but my mistakes are more interesting!

And I am not strange, I am Limited Edition!

Are you ready for Antonia? Get her textures here:

The Home Of The Living Dolls

shorterbus ( ) posted Fri, 27 January 2012 at 10:34 AM

Thanks guys! This is great information!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.