Sun, Sep 22, 4:33 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 2:04 am)

Subject: DAZ to make a "game-changing" announcement

imax24 ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2012 at 11:12 AM

I think a lot of us here are interested in a somewhat detached way, like, whatever it is, if it's bad it won't affect our world THAT much. It would be different if Steve Cooper made a cryptic preview of an anouncement like that. We'd be suspecting the worst.

Which is probably how some members over at Daz are feeling: We won't like it, they know we won't like it, so they are telling us in advance it's a wonderful thing for the hobby as a whole. In marketing and media it's known as softening the ground.

shedofjoy ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2012 at 11:22 AM

"Game changing", that could be that daz now owns poser, or smith micro or someone else owns daz, or daz now produce a gadget that creates a synthetic lifeform for the figure you create in daz, or daz never made daz studio and it was all a dream.... or perhaps it will be an uninteresting promotional stunt.....lol

Getting old and still making "art" without soiling myself, now that's success.

Meshbox ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2012 at 11:30 AM

Quote - I think a lot of us here are interested in a somewhat detached way, like, whatever it is, if it's bad it won't affect our world THAT much. It would be different if Steve Cooper made a cryptic preview of an anouncement like that. We'd be suspecting the worst.

Which is probably how some members over at Daz are feeling: We won't like it, they know we won't like it, so they are telling us in advance it's a wonderful thing for the hobby as a whole. In marketing and media it's known as softening the ground.

I dont think DAZ is publicly traded - Smith Micro is. You don't get to dangle much if you are publicly traded. But yeah, I think folks at DAZ are expecting something unwelcome.

Best regards,

chikako
Meshbox Design | 3D Models You Want

markschum ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2012 at 2:45 PM

Daz is starting a Massively Multiplayer Role playing Game , online of course called..

wait for it ..

HUNT THE WUMPUS ! !

that will sort the oldies.

whos Steve Cooper ?   

imax24 ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2012 at 3:01 PM · edited Mon, 30 January 2012 at 3:03 PM

Steve Cooper IS the Wumpus. Or the Walrus. Or something.

Seriously, he's the Smith Micro guy who talks to us in these forums. His avatar has a mohawk, which proves he's not just another "suit."

RHaseltine ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2012 at 3:03 PM

Quote - Daz is starting a Massively Multiplayer Role playing Game , online of course called..

wait for it ..

HUNT THE WUMPUS ! !

whos Steve Cooper ?   

The title I heard was "Dare you go Naked into the Temple?". Though there might have been a wumpus involved.

nobodyinparticular ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2012 at 3:22 PM

Quote - Daz is starting a Massively Multiplayer Role playing Game , online of course called..

wait for it ..

HUNT THE WUMPUS ! !

whos Steve Cooper ?

Kind of miss that game. Yes, I am an oldie . I was writing programs in Fortran in the seventies. Sorry I didn't keep up my computer skills, but I found my calling elsewhere.

imax24 ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2012 at 3:31 PM · edited Mon, 30 January 2012 at 3:33 PM

I may not be THAT old, but when I was young I was dodging Grues (a creature you had to imagine because it was a text game). Graphical games were depicted as amber dots on a black screen. Now that's a game that has changed!

lmckenzie ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2012 at 4:53 PM

Free GeoGrafted Genitals for everyone! Forget cranky spouces, blind dates from hell and overpriced hookers. Get an innie or an outie, mix and match. Now, you can do to yourself what you've been telling DAZ to do to itself all these years!

You must be 18 to order. Offer good while suipplies last. Some restrictions apply.

"Since I got mine, I haven't even looked at a woman" - C. Sheen

"If I'd had this baby, I'd still be in office."  - W. J. Clinton 

"If it feels good is it a sin?" - M. Bachman

Call in the next 30 minutes and get a bonus cleaning kit absolutely free.

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

Cage ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2012 at 5:00 PM

DAZ will be partnering with the makers of the DarkBasic 3D game programming software, making Genesis accessible to makers of DirectX games for Windows.  :unsure:

Didn't know about this Wumpus business.  How cool.  There are loads of freeware adaptations of this game!  And Cage needs no further distractions.  :lol:

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

Eric Walters ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2012 at 5:36 PM

HAhAHA! I just heard there exists a Weight Mapped "Mr. Happy" addon for M4 at that other site that ends with an 'otica."

Quote - Free GeoGrafted Genitals for everyone! Forget cranky spouces, blind dates from hell and overpriced hookers. Get an innie or an outie, mix and match. Now, you can do to yourself what you've been telling DAZ to do to itself all these years!

You must be 18 to order. Offer good while suipplies last. Some restrictions apply.

"Since I got mine, I haven't even looked at a woman" - C. Sheen

"If I'd had this baby, I'd still be in office."  - W. J. Clinton 

"If it feels good is it a sin?" - M. Bachman

Call in the next 30 minutes and get a bonus cleaning kit absolutely free.

vilters ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2012 at 5:58 PM

See what DAZ does????

Naking normal people super nervous.

I hate this .

Say what you have to say or shut up DAZ.

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

jerr3d ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2012 at 6:46 PM

After all this time don't we have any DAZ spies? A mole on the inside who can spill the beans ahead of time?

grichter ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2012 at 7:43 PM

Quote - After all this time don't we have any DAZ spies? A mole on the inside who can spill the beans ahead of time?

And then get fired :)

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

jerr3d ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2012 at 8:31 PM

Maybe they are gonna announce the release of Victoria 5 again, since it did not go over so well the first time.

Winterclaw ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2012 at 8:56 PM

Are we there yet?

This is what I hate about a "we're going to make an announcement" announcement, if you've got something to say, say it.  If not, shut up.

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

(using Poser Pro 2014 SR3, on 64 bit Win 7, poser units are inches.)

RedPhantom ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2012 at 9:32 PM
Site Admin

Hey JC Penny has some event starting tomorrow maybe Daz and Penny's are getting together and they'll sell both 3d and live versions of their clothes.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

rokket ( ) posted Tue, 31 January 2012 at 1:06 AM

The announcement of an announcement served the purpose it was intended: We are all talking about it in at least 2 different forums ( I haven't bothered to look if they are talking about it anywhere else).

I don't know if the announcement will live up to the hype, and I don't really care. I have what I wanted out of all of this, and will be perfectly happy to go on as I am now.

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

alexcoppo ( ) posted Tue, 31 January 2012 at 2:50 AM

A DAZ official posted a comment that makes Dick Cheney "known unknowns" look like a masterpiece of clarity.

Anyway, since they are late, it means that it is something they are managing themselves and this puts more steam (?!?!) to the cloud hypothesis and less to a merger.

The farther they are from Poser, the happier am I.

GIMP 2.7.4, Inkscape 0.48, Genetica 3.6 Basic, FilterForge 3 Professional, Blender 2.61, SketchUp 8, PoserPro 2012, Vue 10 Infinite, World Machine 2.3, GeoControl 2

Dajadues ( ) posted Tue, 31 January 2012 at 5:29 AM

Game changing eh? Maybe that means they'll finally add a real animation time line to Daz Studio for us animators? Won't hold my breath on that one.

Dajadues ( ) posted Tue, 31 January 2012 at 5:32 AM · edited Tue, 31 January 2012 at 5:33 AM

Quote - After all this time don't we have any DAZ spies? A mole on the inside who can spill the beans ahead of time?

I'm sure there are just not visible to the masses. ;)

SnowSultan ( ) posted Tue, 31 January 2012 at 9:51 AM

"Anyway, since they are late,"

They said "this week", it's only Tuesday. They're not late yet.

my DeviantArt page: http://snowsultan.deviantart.com/

I do not speak as a representative of DAZ, I speak only as a long-time member here. Be nice (and quit lying about DAZ) and I'll be nice too.

grichter ( ) posted Tue, 31 January 2012 at 10:37 AM

Quote - "Anyway, since they are late,"

They said "this week", it's only Tuesday. They're not late yet.

Depends on your definition of "Soon" opps I mean "this week" is 

Using "is" in my sentence maybe we should ask Slick Willie what "is" means too! :laugh:

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

imax24 ( ) posted Tue, 31 January 2012 at 10:59 AM · edited Tue, 31 January 2012 at 11:00 AM

170 posts, 3400 views, and no mud wrestling! Well, very little anyway. Even most of the Daz-bashing sounds more like good-natured ribbing. I am impressed and grateful.

By the time this announcement comes, it won't possibly be able to live up to the anticipation. Unless the idea is to get everybody imagining the absolute worst, then the bad news won't seem so bad after all.

LaurieA ( ) posted Tue, 31 January 2012 at 11:23 AM · edited Tue, 31 January 2012 at 11:24 AM

I'm still hoping it's not cloud gag computing. Now when I have terabytes of personal storage sitting right here. I want my stuff ON my computer. In my hot little hands. Not at the whim of someone else or company, fate, a stray asteroid or bankruptcy. I can backup my own purchases, thanks.

Laurie

Jules53757 ( ) posted Tue, 31 January 2012 at 11:36 AM

May be they will sell now meshes with all the bits and pieces they need and will allow nekkid pics in their gallery ;)

Ulli

"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!"

Angelus_Prime ( ) posted Tue, 31 January 2012 at 11:55 AM

Well, something's up. If that's the "game changing announcement", well.... :bored: 

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 31 January 2012 at 12:23 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

Quote - Well, something's up. If that's the "game changing announcement", well.... :bored: 

Companies have been hijacking and overusing phrases from other places for years.

"Mission Critical", for example, makes a thing sound more dynamic and exciting than it really is.  Gives you visions of guys in camo gear, lugging missile launchers while tanks roll off into battle, or Neil Armstrong taking the "One small step".  The reality is some Citizen in a badly tailored suit and horrible tie punching keys over a spreadsheet.

Game Changing is another such phrase.  Unless they can give us all every possible bit of content we ever need - for free - and a kickass system to run some high end software on, it won't change my game.  I strongly suspect it won't be changing your game, either.  I await the news with interest and in the meantime, I'm having a good old giggle with the wild speculations - including my own - here and over there.

As I said before, I neither like nor dislike DAZ, I just wish they'd lay off the Corporate Bollocks Speak.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

LaurieA ( ) posted Tue, 31 January 2012 at 12:44 PM

If anyone says "win-win" or "moving forward" I'm so done....LOL.

Laurie

Klebnor ( ) posted Tue, 31 January 2012 at 12:56 PM

Quote - A DAZ official posted a comment that makes Dick Cheney "known unknowns" look like a masterpiece of clarity.

Donald Rumsfeld, actually.

Lotus 123 ~ S-Render ~ OS/2 WARP ~ IBM 8088 / 4.77 Mhz ~ Hercules Ultima graphics, Hitachi 10 MB HDD, 64K RAM, 12 in diagonal CRT Monitor (16 colors / 60 Hz refresh rate), 240 Watt PS, Dual 1.44 MB Floppies, 2 button mouse input device.  Beige horizontal case.  I don't display my unit.

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 31 January 2012 at 1:05 PM

What, they haven't made the announcement yet?

I suppose they are going to wait until Friday...  :-P

imax24 ( ) posted Tue, 31 January 2012 at 1:07 PM

Oh, I'm sure there'll be some corporate-speak in the announcement:

"To grow the primary focus of our development, we have decided to re-task our implemenation of the innovative aspects of our mission. It's a win-win situation."

Uh, right. Whether the end user is included in either of the "wins" may be open for debate.

Cage ( ) posted Tue, 31 January 2012 at 1:12 PM

They've gotten our attention, anyway.  Could they be trying to make us think and talk about DAZ, to distract us from something else?  What might we have been talking about, had they not come along to tell us that they would eventually have something to tell us?

Could all be a clever and devious way to try to control the Poser-DAZ community.

In the meantime, I await their magic statement to convert my tiddleywinks into some other amusing game.  :unsure:

@Laurie:  Can I throw around "proactive", or would that be off-putting as well?  :lol:

===========================sigline======================================================

Cage can be an opinionated jerk who posts without thinking.  He apologizes for this.  He's honestly not trying to be a turkeyhead.

Cage had some freebies, compatible with Poser 11 and below.  His Python scripts were saved at archive.org, along with the rest of the Morphography site, where they were hosted.

LilWolff ( ) posted Tue, 31 January 2012 at 1:13 PM

Tigers Blood

lkendall ( ) posted Tue, 31 January 2012 at 1:20 PM · edited Tue, 31 January 2012 at 1:21 PM

Cage

If I were paranoid I would point out that Phantom3D's Rigging and Weight-Maps Tutorial is going on over at PoserPlace. If I were paranoid.....

lmk

Probably edited for spelling, grammer, punctuation, or typos.

vintorix ( ) posted Tue, 31 January 2012 at 1:28 PM

If I instead of guessing could be wishing I know what I would wish for.

"Daz and Smith Micro have decided that it is in both companies best interest to bury the battle axes and cooperate with all new figures from now on, starting with Genesis."

Glitterati3D ( ) posted Tue, 31 January 2012 at 2:04 PM

Quote - Cage

If I were paranoid I would point out that Phantom3D's Rigging and Weight-Maps Tutorial is going on over at PoserPlace. If I were paranoid.....

lmk

Exactly.  Nothing more than Divert! Divert! Divert! 

If I were paranoid, anyway.  LOL!

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Tue, 31 January 2012 at 2:09 PM

Hype Hype Hype

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

Eric Walters ( ) posted Tue, 31 January 2012 at 2:19 PM

President Obama is currently meeting with other world leaders to discuss the ramnifications of the coming announcement

I'm exhausted, I can't sleep. Is everything I'm doing a waste of time? Will I be relevant in Daz' Brave New World? The suspense is ruining my life! I spend all my time staring at the Daz homepage- constantly refreshing it in my browser-waiting for THE GAME CHANGER!

I only recently discovered that using AO with IDL is redundant-and causes render artefacts-does that MEAN something?

grichter ( ) posted Tue, 31 January 2012 at 2:20 PM

Quote - Hype Hype Hype

"Moving forward"...nobody can deny DAZ doesn't have a "win-win" marketing machine, that can consistantly create major hype out of thin air!

dives under my desk to duck Laurie's sword, swung in anger!

Gary

millighost ( ) posted Tue, 31 January 2012 at 2:22 PM

Theory no=17: With the last year's "software innovation of the year" now would be a good time to get some additional investor money into their company. Perhaps they are even planning an initial public offering (or what it is called :-)

alexcoppo ( ) posted Tue, 31 January 2012 at 2:30 PM

Quote - > Quote - A DAZ official posted a comment that makes Dick Cheney "known unknowns" look like a masterpiece of clarity.

Donald Rumsfeld, actually.

Sorry, I should have remembered that Mr. Cheney is more of an "action" (like in guns :biggrin:) guy than a philosopher.

GIMP 2.7.4, Inkscape 0.48, Genetica 3.6 Basic, FilterForge 3 Professional, Blender 2.61, SketchUp 8, PoserPro 2012, Vue 10 Infinite, World Machine 2.3, GeoControl 2

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 31 January 2012 at 3:03 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

Ones that always get my goat:

Ramping up

Driving forward

Primary focus

Synergy

plus all the others mentioned previously.

To quote Samuel L Jackson:

"English, Motherfucker! Do you speak it?" 

My Store

My Gallery

Cage ( ) posted Tue, 31 January 2012 at 3:07 PM

Ooh.  Synergy.  Yeah, that one.  Ouch.  :scared:

vintorix ( ) posted Tue, 31 January 2012 at 3:26 PM · edited Tue, 31 January 2012 at 3:28 PM

Each group or associations of people has its own lingo of recycled cliches from yesterday. It would be just as  easy (as easy as shooting sitting duck) to make fun of Poser parlance. So that is not limited to the corporate world.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 31 January 2012 at 3:47 PM

Not necessarily.  The main difference between business speak and Poser speak is, there are perfectly good, straightforward words and phrases in the language to describe the things business types speak about, without resorting to jargon.

It's not necessary to say, for example, "ramping up" when all you mean is "increasing". And since when did financial services become "products"?  It's part of a general trend to make things sound more important and/or impressive than they really are. 

Poser, however, often uses neologisms or redefines words to describe things which have no real life counterpart.  Same with computer speak in general.  Many of the actions and concepts didn't even exist before computers came into being.

It's when people like Bill Gates start misusing words like "bandwidth" to describe intelligence that I want to get a gun. 

My Store

My Gallery

vintorix ( ) posted Tue, 31 January 2012 at 3:56 PM · edited Tue, 31 January 2012 at 3:56 PM

To start with, people bashing corporate doubletalk are just as much cliche as the corporate doubletalk itself. And just as boring to listen to.

KimberlyC ( ) posted Tue, 31 January 2012 at 4:07 PM

guys, don't start. Stay on the subject.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Tue, 31 January 2012 at 4:11 PM

Quote - guys, don't start. Stay on the subject.

good. your going to tell vintorix to stop being an ass and provoking everyone. it's been a long time coming...

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 31 January 2012 at 4:13 PM

Quote - > Quote - guys, don't start. Stay on the subject.

good. your going to tell vintorix to stop being an ass and provoking everyone. it's been a long time coming...

This ^

I don't appreciate my reply being removed but I understand why.

My Store

My Gallery

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.