Tue, Sep 24, 6:21 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 24 5:52 pm)

Subject: From render to preview screen lag time

Seaking406 ( ) posted Thu, 02 February 2012 at 7:46 PM · edited Tue, 24 September 2024 at 6:20 PM

Hi there. I'm new here with Poser 2012 64bit and having a blast with it but encountering some issues I would hope some could help me with.

After I've done my setup in the preview screen and then render the scene, it takes a while before I can access the preview screen to rework the scene I'd been working on. Though the render times are really fast, its the wait time after that to get back to preview mode that is slowing things down.. The wait time to get back to preview mode takes longer than the render time.. even if I wait a few minutes to save the image etc, going back to the preview screen takes a while, almost as if the software is hanging, but it comes back and I'm able to compose the scene in the preview screen at normal speeds..

My system is a Vista 64, I7 processor, 16G memory and 1TB HDD with a 6750 2G video card. All drivers are updated, as is the software.

I've cleared the 'undo cache' found in preferences and even restarted the program but the longer I use the program, the longer the wait time gets until I have to reboot the system and start new again.. 

Has anyone encountered this before and know how to resolve the issue?

Thanks in advance for any assistance..

Cheers!

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 02 February 2012 at 9:04 PM

I have not heard what happened, but this was something planned to fix in SR1.

Do you have SR1?

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Seaking406 ( ) posted Thu, 02 February 2012 at 9:36 PM

Quote - I have not heard what happened, but this was something planned to fix in SR1.

Do you have SR1?

Yes indeed, it was installed right after the initial installation of the Poser 2012 software before doing any work.. 

if I can resolve this nagging issue I'd be having more fun with Poser ;)  Its not a show stopper but it's an annoyance I can certainly do without.. 

I'm wondering if my 1TB boot drive is slowing things down (7,200 rpm).. I save all my work to a seperate drive, while poser and its libs / runtime stuff reside on the boot drive. I do have a 10,000 rpm 160G drive at my disposal, but unsure what can be put on there to  make everything faster and less laggy?

Seaking406 ( ) posted Thu, 02 February 2012 at 9:39 PM

Quote - My system is a Vista 64, I7 processor, 16G memory and 1TB HDD with a 6750 2G video card. All drivers are updated, as is the software.

My mistake, the video card is actually a 6950 Safire 2G (ATI).. it was suggested to me that the nVidia cards are better suited for working with Poser?

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Thu, 02 February 2012 at 9:55 PM

maybe this fix was delayed until the soon-to-be-released SR2.

santicor ( ) posted Thu, 02 February 2012 at 11:49 PM

I shudder to  hear that  people have a prob with this running 2012 - its drives me CRAZY with 2010.  in general- and just consider i have an average  to  above average powered machine - all settings the same, 2010 is way  slower for me than P7 - all  things the same no IDL set in  2010, etc.

"When you have to shoot ...

SHOOT.

Don't talk "

- Tuco

Santicor's Gallery:

http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=3&userid=580115

santicor ( ) posted Thu, 02 February 2012 at 11:54 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

hey,  with 2012,  does  making a liberry  selection NOT bring you  back  to  preview?

I hate that  about 2010.  

(This post was flagged for nudity because I am  not wearing pants right now. no  reason, just the way  circumstances compiled to  this point) 

SHOOT.

Don't talk "

- Tuco

Santicor's Gallery:

Seaking406 ( ) posted Thu, 02 February 2012 at 11:55 PM

in 2012 version, the posing and rendering are rather quite fast.. but my issue is when going back to the preview screen after a render is where the lag time occurs. 

By comparison, a buddy and I did the same v4 model and setting and started the render at the same time, and poser 2012 was a lot quicker on comparable machines. 

bantha ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 12:06 AM

I have an ATI card too, and for me the switching time was much shorter after SR1. You can disable "enable hardware shading" in the "Preview renderer" section of the Render settings. This did the trick for me before SR1. The "hidden Line" mode should work quickly as well, but you won't see the shaders then.

From what I've heared, the time is needed to build up the scene for the graphics adapter, so clearing the render cache is unlikely to help. 

Did that work for you?

A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for.
Sail out to sea and do new things.
-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

Avatar image of me done by Chidori

Seaking406 ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 12:10 AM

Quote - hey,  with 2012,  does  making a liberry  selection NOT bring you  back  to  preview?

I hate that  about 2010.  

It does but that's not the issue I'm having.. If I do a render and see something that needs to be changed, and go to the preview window (screen), the program 'hangs' for a minute or so before I can do anything.

santicor ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 12:16 AM

yes i hear  you , as stated  i  agree the lag time is a prob .. but I  also  wanted to  mention my own little quirky irritation at  the render/preview disconnect over library  selection.

it seems bantha has improved his experience with the lag by loading SR1.

I found my  pants,  too.    BONUS !

SHOOT.

Don't talk "

- Tuco

Santicor's Gallery:

Seaking406 ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 12:33 AM

I gave your suggestion a try and I think it might be a fix or work around to the problem, but it makes the posing of the lighting (for shadows and highlights) a lot more difficult.. But thus far it seems to be working.. I'll report back after tonight's session as the longer I work at it the more the lag extends..

Thanks for the tip!

Seaking406 ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 2:18 AM

Follow up:

I took Bantha's advice about turning the hardware shaders off in the render settings but though I didn't like the preview look, at least it worked better than it did before.. but something went awry and Poser wouldn't render anymore.. huh? click Render and nothing happens. So I loaded a previous preset (final quality, raytracing on etc) and boom.. the software ran so fast and smooth for the last 3 hours I couldn't believe it.. wow, now that was fun.. almost as if turning off the hardware shaders and turning them back on kicked the fault in the pants and got things running properly again.. (but honestly don't know what was wrong or if it will come back again, time will tell when I get back to work on it tomorrow)

Gotta like it.. with Poser 2012 running and rendering, I had yahoo voice chat on as I'm working on a project with a friend from across the continent, then photoshopping some of the images, building them into Dreamweaver for the web page project and then ftp them up to the server for testing.. and Poser didn't lag, hesitate or falter.

Colour me impressed.

thank you all for your comments. Much appreciated!

bantha ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 2:20 AM

My usual lighting does not work in the preview renderer anyway, so I use test renders for that. I prefer working in the "hidden line" mode while posing and putting things together. But that's just me, I fully understand that you want to get closer to the final result in the preview, and it should work anyway.

A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for.
Sail out to sea and do new things.
-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

Avatar image of me done by Chidori

cspear ( ) posted Fri, 03 February 2012 at 8:35 AM

I had this problem in the initial release, but after SR1 it snaps back to preview almost instantly.

Windows 10 x64 Pro - Intel Xeon E5450 @ 3.00GHz (x2)

PoserPro 11 - Units: Metres

Adobe CC 2017

Seaking406 ( ) posted Sat, 04 February 2012 at 2:28 PM

Gah, unfortunately the problem persists but at least its down to less than 10-20 seconds from render to preview screen.. I wish I could get it back to normal again as I'm doing story lines, which though not overly complex, still gets tedious waiting for the screen to be active again.. 

If I were to 'reinstall' the patch, it shouldn't do any harm, would it? Perhaps something got munged in the initial install of the patch?

I'm also starting to wonder if the problem does lie with the ATI 6950 card as sometimes, when in preview, I end up with a small patch of updated view while the larger part of the preview screen doesn't change at all until I minimize and re-maximize the screen to show the new view? If I do a pic capture or a render, the whole image is saved as it was changed, so it's hard to show you what I'm refering to with this problem.. I'll try a screen capture and see if anyone encountered this before and might be able to shed some light on what I'm experiencing?

Cheers

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.