Tue, Oct 22, 11:21 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 10:35 am)

Subject: V4 vertex order help needed

shedofjoy ( ) posted Tue, 14 February 2012 at 9:45 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 11:20 AM

i have created a new hip replacement for V4, and by pure luck got V4 to work using the stock morphs minus the morphs for the hip, that was until weight mapping came out, now i realise that the new hip is not actually welded to the rest of V4.

How do i weld the new hip to V4 without altering the vertex order? does anyone know of a program/software that can do this (something free or cheap, as im not rich) im using hexagon and poser 2012.

thankyou for any help

Getting old and still making "art" without soiling myself, now that's success.

bantha ( ) posted Tue, 14 February 2012 at 10:21 AM

I'm thinking about this, I'm not sure yet.

Do you just need the shape of the new hip, or do you need the new geometry you've created? Does it share the same vertices with the other body parts?

A ship in port is safe; but that is not what ships are built for.
Sail out to sea and do new things.
-"Amazing Grace" Hopper

Avatar image of me done by Chidori

shedofjoy ( ) posted Tue, 14 February 2012 at 10:32 AM

im not sure you understand i shall try to word it differently.

All of the bodyparts on V4 are joined, if you load V4's geometry into poser via the obj file in poser you cannot see the joins from one area to another ie from hip to abdomen, whereas on my V4 you can see the join line from the thighs and the abdomen,so that when i convert V4 to V4 Weight Mapped the seams part. on a normal V4 cr2 file you cannot see any join line and V4 poses without any faults.

nruddock ( ) posted Tue, 14 February 2012 at 4:26 PM

The vertices on the group boundaries would have to match exactly for welding to work.

Provided you can achieve that, it's down to the modelling program you use as to whether or not the vertex order (needs to remain the same only within body part groups not the whole file) will change.

lesbentley ( ) posted Tue, 14 February 2012 at 7:09 PM

Poser itself can do welding on the fly, no need for the vertices to be welded in the obj file. The figure section of the cr2 should already contain statements to weld the abdomen and thighs to the hip, eg:

weld abdomen:1
    hip:1

weld rThigh:1

weld lThigh:1

However as nruddock said "The vertices on the group boundaries would have to match exactly for welding to work".

lesbentley ( ) posted Tue, 14 February 2012 at 10:28 PM · edited Tue, 14 February 2012 at 10:31 PM

file_478546.png

In my last post I quoted the statement: "The vertices on the group boundaries would have to match exactly for welding to work".

This is not the first time that I have heard this statement, and I quoted it assuming it was true, but not actually knowing this from personal experience. But something was nagging at the back of my mind. Just how exact is "exactly"?

I decided to do some tests to see if Poser welding allowed any tolerance. This relates to welding done via weld statements in a Poser 6 cr2. I constructed a figure made up of 5 actors (+ BODY) stacked vertically. 5 cubes stacked one on top of the other were used as the geometry. I did a number of tests varying the vertical separation between the cubes, to see which ones would weld and which would not. The 5 cubes were exported from Poser as a single unwelded obj.

In the tests the cubes were yTranslated to check if they were welded. The results of the first test were as follows. Cubes with a vertical separation of 0.000010 PNU or less welded, cubes with a vertical separation of 0.000011 or greater did not weld.

For the second test, I introduced an offset along the X axis of the same magnitude as the vertical separation. A cube with both 0.000010 vertical separation and the same amount of x offset partially welded (see image above), cubes with less separation exhibited a complete weld, and those with more exhibited no welding.

shedofjoy ( ) posted Fri, 17 February 2012 at 9:34 AM

i will have to check the vertx locations, sounds like that might be the problem, thankyou Lesbently

richardson ( ) posted Fri, 17 February 2012 at 7:35 PM

Did that work?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.