Tue, Sep 24, 10:32 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 24 10:30 am)

Subject: Poser Pro 2012 default lights after SR1 update

piccolo_909 ( ) posted Mon, 13 February 2012 at 5:30 PM · edited Tue, 24 September 2024 at 10:30 AM

Has anyone had any issues with the poser pro 2012 lights after updating to SR1? Before i updated, most of my lights defaulted at around 50% intensity and could be bumped up to 100% to brighten the picture. However, after updating to SR1, the lights all default off at 100% intensity,  which leaves a very dark picture (brown figures are pretty much black)

If i try increase the intensity above 100% on the parameter dials, it doesn't look right. It seems the update did something weird to the default lighting and everything is pretty much too dark. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Seaking406 ( ) posted Mon, 13 February 2012 at 5:55 PM

Quote - Has anyone had any issues with the poser pro 2012 lights after updating to SR1? Before i updated, most of my lights defaulted at around 50% intensity and could be bumped up to 100% to brighten the picture. However, after updating to SR1, the lights all default off at 100% intensity,  which leaves a very dark picture (brown figures are pretty much black)

If i try increase the intensity above 100% on the parameter dials, it doesn't look right. It seems the update did something weird to the default lighting and everything is pretty much too dark. Is anyone else experiencing this?

I didn't run poser before doing the SR1 install (I had read somewhere that this was preferable to do).. I didn't like the default lighting so I created my own 3 and 1 lighting (3 main / fill lights and 1 rim light) that I load up each time I start a new project.  

Cheers

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 13 February 2012 at 7:55 PM
Online Now!

The default depth map lighting is really pretty much useless if you are looking to render realistically.  Delete them all using the built in python script and recreate your own with raytracing shadows.  The renders do take longer, but you will get better results with SSS and reflections.  Also, PP2012 has gamma correction built in and is active as a default in the render settings.  This means you will require lesslight intensities in your scenes and less lights if you use a self illuminating skydome for outdoor environments.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Tue, 14 February 2012 at 2:58 AM

Agreeing with HBorre. First thing I do when I install a new version of Poser is delete the figure, delete the lights and set my own, disable pmds (I'll still be doing this because of the scripts I run) and set Preference to inches and launch to preferred scene. Then do Set Preferred Scene.

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

Seaking406 ( ) posted Tue, 14 February 2012 at 6:20 PM

Quote - Agreeing with HBorre. First thing I do when I install a new version of Poser is delete the figure, delete the lights and set my own, disable pmds (I'll still be doing this because of the scripts I run) and set Preference to inches and launch to preferred scene. Then do Set Preferred Scene.

I've seen a lot of people suggesting changing prefs to 'inches' but still unclear how this benifits the overall process? 

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 14 February 2012 at 7:56 PM
Online Now!

It would be the ease of duplicating someone elses shader node arrangement from an image post.  Or someone's description where setting are listed.  It's more like standardizing your preference setup.  At least in the United States, we have a visual concept how an inch appears.  And, I'm pretty sure our European cousins have a visual concept how a centimeter appears.  Since, Bagginsbill contributes regularly through image and text to the forum, he uses inches as his standard of measure, and Robyn and I have conformed as well.

Seaking406 ( ) posted Tue, 14 February 2012 at 8:44 PM

Ok, that makes sense.. I'm not up to that level to be using measurements as you described, yet..  Thanks for the explanation..

cheers

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 15 February 2012 at 11:04 AM
Online Now!

Do keep in mind, the measurements will be unavoidable if you intend to use bump/displacement mapping in your texture workflow.  Someone quoting 0.25 in their displacement values and do not specify feet as their preference, you will not see any significant difference in your renders if you duplicate their material room settings.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.