Thu, Sep 19, 5:28 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 4:23 pm)

Subject: importing 3ds models into poser

homeriscool ( ) posted Fri, 02 March 2012 at 4:30 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 5:23 PM

hi all, i bought a model from another website ( ts ) and it is a max 3ds model, also obj was included. everytime i go to import the model theres no textures or it fails to even load into poser. can anyone help me with this problem?

shorterbus ( ) posted Fri, 02 March 2012 at 4:42 PM

Usually, if it's an item you bought it will come with textures. What you probably have to do is import the obj, then go to the Material room and assign the materials to the object. The materials are probably in the same folder from which you imported the object, they just don't show during the import.

homeriscool ( ) posted Fri, 02 March 2012 at 5:23 PM

i tried to imort the obj and there is only one file for the obj and one 3ds max file. no other files for textures ect.  i never had this problem in earlier versions of poser....

FrankT ( ) posted Fri, 02 March 2012 at 5:52 PM · edited Fri, 02 March 2012 at 5:54 PM

The MAX file will probably have the textures (it's a scene description file - has more than geometry in it) but without 3DS MAX, you are stuck - nothing else will read a max file.

You'd need to build your own textures I expect

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

MacMyers ( ) posted Fri, 02 March 2012 at 6:34 PM

You have to be careful that those models even HAVE textures.

“So, roll me further B_t__h!”

lesbentley ( ) posted Fri, 02 March 2012 at 6:45 PM

Quote - i tried to imort the obj and there is only one file for the obj and one 3ds max file. no other files for textures ect.  i never had this problem in earlier versions of poser....

I have heard Poser blamed for a lot of things, and somtimes the blame was justified. But I don't see how you can blame Poser for not being able to read files that do not exist. I suspect that even God would find that a dificult trick to pull off.

homeriscool ( ) posted Fri, 02 March 2012 at 7:05 PM

hhhhhmmmmmm looks like ive been wasting my time. i thought poser could import 3ds files?

Medzinatar ( ) posted Fri, 02 March 2012 at 7:16 PM

Poser can import 3DS files. I do it quite often.  However, textures are not embedded in the 3DS file.  You can have RGB colors in file for various surfaces.  You will be able to use procedural shaders in the material room.

As others have said, it can't import what is not there.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 02 March 2012 at 8:40 PM

The problem you have is in trying to import a 3DS Max file, which Poser can't do. Plain vanilla 3DS, yes. Max, no.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

lmckenzie ( ) posted Sat, 03 March 2012 at 3:24 PM

As Sam said, if the file type is e.g. MyModel.3ds then Poser can import it. If it e.g. MyModel.max, then no go. I assume that (ts) is TurboSquid. IIRC, the description of the model there would state whether textures are included or not - something to look for. If you only have two files then apparently, there are none. Any colors or textures you see on the TurboSquid examples are probably as FrankT says embedded in the .max file. You can download the demo version of Max and open the model and then try exporting it in .obj format but I'm not sure that would do much good. You might get basic colors and maybe there is a way to "bake" Max procedural textures to bitmap textures that you could use with the .obj file, but your best option might be a refund if you can get it. Either that, or if you like the model enough then try assigning materials in Poser. 

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

NanetteTredoux ( ) posted Sun, 04 March 2012 at 5:00 AM

These days if I buy a 3d model or even download a free one, it must be obj. I have spent too much time already fussing with 3ds models.

Poser 11 Pro, Windows 10

Auxiliary Apps: Blender 2.79, Vue Complete 2016, Genetica 4 Pro, Gliftex 11 Pro, CorelDraw Suite X6, Comic Life 2, Project Dogwaffle Howler 8, Stitch Witch

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.