Sun, Oct 6, 6:45 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: OT:Last Train to Clarksville

Paul Francis ( ) posted Wed, 29 February 2012 at 12:31 PM · edited Wed, 25 September 2024 at 9:08 AM

Attached Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17214430

If, like me you grew up in the 60s, you'll be sad to learn that The Monkees' Davy Jones has passed away.  Too sad.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17214430

My self-build system - Vista 64 on a Kingston 240GB SSD, Asus P5Q Pro MB, Quad 6600 CPU, 8 Gb Geil Black Dragon Ram, CoolerMaster HAF932 full tower chassis, EVGA Geforce GTX 750Ti Superclocked 2 Gb, Coolermaster V8 CPU aircooler, Enermax 600W Modular PSU, 240Gb SSD, 2Tb HDD storage, 28" LCD monitor, and more red LEDs than a grown man really needs.....I built it in 2008 and can't afford a new one, yet.....!

My Software - Poser Pro 2012, Photoshop, Bryce 6 and Borderlands......"Catch a  r--i---d-----e-----!"

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 29 February 2012 at 1:27 PM

Yes, I heard that. Sad :(

"I'll never wash this cheek again!"

RIP

Laurie

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 29 February 2012 at 2:57 PM

I was a huge Monkees fan growing up!  

Anyone remember the episode of The Brady Bunch where Marsha Brady invited Davy Jones to go to her school dance and he showed up at her front door?

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

SteveJax ( ) posted Wed, 29 February 2012 at 4:50 PM

This was the first news I got when I woke up. It was a sad sad way to start my day!

Boni ( ) posted Wed, 29 February 2012 at 6:32 PM

file_479025.jpg

One thing that has been consistant in my personal history is that I was, am and will always be a Monkees fan.

My partner and I met in 1968 with the following conversation. (neither of us remembers who said which)

"Hi, are you a Monkee fan?"

"Yes"

"Hi friend!"

Rest in Peace, Davy.

Here is a piece from my gallery.

Boni

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 29 February 2012 at 7:12 PM

RIP Davy.  My cousin Julie is a massive Monkees fan and Davy Jones was her idol. 

He was also the reason another singer named David Jones changed his professional name.  David Bowie. 

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

scanmead ( ) posted Thu, 01 March 2012 at 3:17 PM

This was a shocker. He always seemed such a nice guy.

SteveJax ( ) posted Fri, 02 March 2012 at 8:32 PM · edited Fri, 02 March 2012 at 8:33 PM

file_479096.jpg

Wouldn't this look nice in 3D?

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 02 March 2012 at 8:36 PM

Yep, wouldn't it just?

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

SteveJax ( ) posted Fri, 02 March 2012 at 8:47 PM · edited Fri, 02 March 2012 at 8:48 PM

Peter Tork was just now on Rachel Maddow's show on MSNBC. Blinked and nearly missed the interview.... With any luck it'll be YouTubed or shown on their website.

imax24 ( ) posted Sat, 03 March 2012 at 12:11 AM

It was interesting that on their biggest hits (like Last Train, Pleasant Valley Sunday, I'm A Believer), Mickey Dolenz was the singer. I wonder where Mickey is today?

Paul Francis ( ) posted Sat, 03 March 2012 at 1:35 AM

Quote - Wouldn't this look nice in 3D?

It would!  Mind you, it would look better on my driveway, alongside the 60s Batmobile, with Julie Newmar in the passenger seat....!

My self-build system - Vista 64 on a Kingston 240GB SSD, Asus P5Q Pro MB, Quad 6600 CPU, 8 Gb Geil Black Dragon Ram, CoolerMaster HAF932 full tower chassis, EVGA Geforce GTX 750Ti Superclocked 2 Gb, Coolermaster V8 CPU aircooler, Enermax 600W Modular PSU, 240Gb SSD, 2Tb HDD storage, 28" LCD monitor, and more red LEDs than a grown man really needs.....I built it in 2008 and can't afford a new one, yet.....!

My Software - Poser Pro 2012, Photoshop, Bryce 6 and Borderlands......"Catch a  r--i---d-----e-----!"

Boni ( ) posted Sat, 03 March 2012 at 8:37 AM

Come on guys ... how much of a hint do you modelers need?  There are a lot of us out here who would love to have a Monkeemobile in our runtime!!!

I've been spending the week watching videos of news clips, old interviews and such.  I do feel bad for his family.  I saw the interview on CNN with Micky and he was shaken.  He saw Davy as a brother.  The other two Monkees had nice things to say as well. 

Imax24: Micky is very active in the entertainment business.  Last summer was a Monkees tour ... (with Peter and David).  He's done some broadway musicals ... and for several years he's toured with his sister Coco doiing Monkee music.  (See photo I took at a show here in Washington).

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1529665&user_id=1168&np&np

Also, any modelers here willing to take on the Monkee shirts?  As you can see I have the models of the guys, I'm not good at scratch modeling. 

Anyway.  Whoever has questions about the band ... I'm a lifelong fan as you can tell.  I have artitcles and memorabilia that dates back to 1966.  I even have the original TV guide article "the great revolt to '67" that chronicled the band's fight for musical freedom.

Okay, I'm probably scaring people now with my fanaticism.  I do have a life, really I do.

Boni

Boni

SteveJax ( ) posted Sat, 03 March 2012 at 4:25 PM

I'm just sad that I never once saw any of them in concert. What a treat that must have been!

Paul Francis ( ) posted Sat, 03 March 2012 at 4:50 PM

C'mon guys, Julie Newmar, I ask you...!  Grrr.....!  Hubba hubba!

imax24 ( ) posted Sat, 03 March 2012 at 7:30 PM

Quote - I'm just sad that I never once saw any of them in concert. What a treat that must have been!

Did they get to the point where they could play well enough to put on their own concert? Or did they sing in front of another band? You know, like Elvis wore a guitar just for visual effect.

bjt860 ( ) posted Sat, 03 March 2012 at 8:33 PM · edited Sat, 03 March 2012 at 8:35 PM

imax24, They always could play.  Peter Tork was a folk musician in the early 60s. He can play guitar, bass guitar, banjo, keyboards, and harpsichord to name a few.

Mike Nesmith played guitar and started performing when he was in the Air Force.

Davy Jones played guitar and drums.

The only one that had to learn as he went was Micky Dolenz. And that was only the drums, he could already play guitar. But by the time they toured for the first time, he knew what he was doing.

Boni ( ) posted Mon, 05 March 2012 at 6:58 AM

Micky actually started the custom of putting the snare drumon the "other" side than what had been previously the custom.  I remember reading that in an interview a few years ago.

Two albums they made.  Headquarters in 1967 had them play most of the instruments on the album and Justus in 1997 had ONLY them on all the instruments. the latter was a project born of a jam session Mike Nesmith started on a whim with the other three.  It is an excellent album.  Those 2 are my personal favorites of the band.

Keep in mind that as far as playing their own instruments ... most of them could as was mentioned, but the studio and the musical director (Don Kirshner) wouldn't let them.  They faught to gain that right.  Famous Monkee story, Kirshner was eventually fired and the result was the album "Headquarters" and subsequent albums under the band's direction. One of my college research papers chronicled the "revolution" of the Monkees.

Davy had a natural rythem that came through even with the tambourine.  He learned the guitar, drums and other accoustic instruments as well.  They all wrote some nice sings too.

Even though they started out as a fictional band ... circumstances were unique for the time and ... they evolved to an honest real band ... as legitimate as any arround today. 

Boni

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.