Sun, Oct 6, 8:54 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Creating a new dynamic dress WITHOUT leaving Poser :-)

vilters ( ) posted Wed, 07 March 2012 at 6:07 PM · edited Sat, 05 October 2024 at 7:15 PM

file_479231.jpg

just had to share this.

Load the High Res BALL or Cylinder. I used the ball.

Scale, the BALL as the left one, and position approximately.
Open the Grouping tool.
Create new group DRESS.
Select the poly's you want in your dress. (Cut off the top, the bottom and open the sleeves for the arms.) As in the middle one.
Spawn Props.

Now, with this Dress Prop, create a few magnets to roughtly shape it into a dress.
Make the top and the bottom wider, and make the middle part smaller.
Spawn the result as a morph target for your dress so you can adjust later if needed.

Import your figure.
Scale your figure X=80% and Z to 50% at frame 1.

Make a 15 frame simulation.
Put your Dress Prop as close over your figure as you dare (Meshes can not touch)
Run a cloth sim as usual and let the figure "Grow" to 100% in X and Z by frame 15.
You can add a pose as I did.

Done.. :-)

Texture is procedural. Blend clouds with a weave that is also in Bump.
Click to enlarge.

Poser???? is just FUN! FUN! FUN!

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

vilters ( ) posted Wed, 07 March 2012 at 6:38 PM

file_479232.jpg

Same thing, only this time i used the Morph brush to rough shape the new Dress prop.

vilters ( ) posted Wed, 07 March 2012 at 6:38 PM · edited Wed, 07 March 2012 at 6:53 PM

file_479233.jpg

And here the Simmed and rendered result. Click to enlarge.

I only feed the basic shapes, and let Poser do the hard work. => Push the clothing into place over the figure.

shellysummers ( ) posted Wed, 07 March 2012 at 7:28 PM

Have to try and give this a shot

Rance01 ( ) posted Wed, 07 March 2012 at 7:38 PM

Very nicely done.  Good job.

vilters ( ) posted Wed, 07 March 2012 at 7:38 PM · edited Wed, 07 March 2012 at 7:40 PM

If you need more Poly's for more detail and a more fluent sim?

You can use the GeoSphere to start with.
I used the high res ball in my example, but the Geosphere has more poly's to work with. 
Ha-ha-, you might even be able to pull some sleeves out with some extra magnets.

That's for tomorrow, WAY past bed time here now. :-)

And?? Stay tuned, Got some more idea's for KISS clothing.

charlie43 ( ) posted Wed, 07 March 2012 at 7:47 PM

Okay, I'tt take full responsibility for my stupidity. I love your method of making a dress in this manner. It's similar to a method I use in Blender, using stacks of cubes to define the dress, subdividing them and brining into the cloth room to run the sim. This looks even easier to me. Here's my problem - I can't figure out how to cut the polys out to make armholes, neckhole, hem of dress. Followed your instructions but when I get to this part, i am stumped. I am sure it is an easy solution, but I've just spent the last hour pulling out what little hair I have left trying to make these adjustments. Can you enlighten a tired old man? I am running PP2010 on a Win XP 32 bit box.

Peace,

Charlie~

P.S. Thanks for an excellent tut!

Tashar59 ( ) posted Wed, 07 March 2012 at 10:01 PM

You can also do this with cylinders. You can use a couple of cylinders or what ever primitive and slightly rotate and trans it. Then export and import that to create a higher rez mesh to any size /shape with additional use of magnets.. ie dr.geeps glue. So you could line all these primitives up as a piece of clothing and export / import and run it through the clothroom.

Charlie43 use the grouping tool. Better yet. check out the grouping tool tutorials by geep.

Vilters. Hope I'm not stepping on any toes for the input. Been away for a few months and the forum seems to have changed. Policed more? Anyways there are old threads about this when we first got the clothroom P5. Might still be some good info on this in those threads.

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 08 March 2012 at 12:46 AM

Quote - I can't figure out how to cut the polys out to make armholes, neckhole, hem of dress.

I would think just don't select those polys you want to leave out as "holes" for the arms, head and hem when you are selecting polys to spawn as a prop.

Laurie

PhilC ( ) posted Thu, 08 March 2012 at 3:55 AM

Ahh creative ingenuity ... love it :))

vilters ( ) posted Thu, 08 March 2012 at 3:57 AM · edited Thu, 08 March 2012 at 3:58 AM

In 2006, right after Poser5 was released introducing dynamic clothing I wrote this little tutorial.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?message_id=2854479&ebot_calc_page#message_2854479

The trick with all this is that you do not have to model so close and carefull.

Let Poser do the hard work of "pushing" the cloth into place.

Take it one step further.
Model a simple Low Res thing. (as in the example above)

Let Poser do the intial "pushing into shape" during a Simulation where you MAINTAIN your figure in the standard "T" pose.

You know have a Low Resolution but fitting clothing item.

Export that Simmed cloth, and fine tune it in your modeling app.
Add the detail, subdevide and save a high res version.

Then import the detailed High Res version back into Poser, knowing that it will fit your figure pretty well, and run a second sim to your final pose.
For this final Sim you can scale your figure down X and Z to 95% as there will be very little final pushing to do.

Happy experimenting
Tony

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Thu, 08 March 2012 at 4:27 AM

Extremely clever, Tony... really quite the coup. And this is for all later versions of Poser, too.

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

vilters ( ) posted Thu, 08 March 2012 at 4:48 AM · edited Thu, 08 March 2012 at 4:53 AM

:-)  All Poser versions from Poser5 on.
:-)  All figures. Not limited to human figures either. :-)

But? there is one little problem with this trick.

When Poser pushes the cloth object into place, it makes it flatten out.

Seams and so, can best be put in a displacement map.

But then, if you do not want to limit yourself to procedural textues, you will have to export the object to uvmap and texture it anyway.
:-)

But to start building a cloth item???
It beast houling poly's around :-) and let Poser do the "shaping and fitting" part.

Tashar59 ( ) posted Thu, 08 March 2012 at 1:20 PM

I can't find the thread that used primitives for the mesh now. Oh well. I think it's always a good idea to remind users what can be done. Older users need reminding and newer users may not have even thought about it.

Thanks for the reminder.

EnglishBob ( ) posted Fri, 09 March 2012 at 9:21 AM

Not to take away from your idea, but if your only criterion is not leaving Poser, then these are a useful alternative.

:-) 

vilters ( ) posted Thu, 12 July 2012 at 7:03 AM

No problem Bob.
it was just a show - OFF and a little demonstration that even without a modeling app, Poser has all the tools to make something completely inside the application.

I like your pre-fabricated clothing :-)
They are a nice start .

EnglishBob ( ) posted Thu, 12 July 2012 at 7:47 AM

Showing off is fine, given that we are artists and therefore have egos the size of Jupiter. :D

vilters ( ) posted Thu, 12 July 2012 at 7:50 AM · edited Thu, 12 July 2012 at 7:54 AM

ha-ha-ha-, good one.

It was just fun-fun-fun.

Could have worked on it some more, and put it in freestuff. :-) :-) :-)

Nobody would ever have known they where just downloading a cut up Poser ball from Posers primitives; :-)

And I am sure you know the Posers "Push to fit" trick in the cloth room??

Gives you a; "One size fits all".  :-)

PS;I am not an artist.
Just playing with the options my tools give me. :-)

imagination304 ( ) posted Thu, 12 July 2012 at 11:19 AM

(bookmarked)

vilters ( ) posted Thu, 12 July 2012 at 11:27 AM

Oh for the hardhearing fans??
You can never use anybody elses meshes to sell something.

dorkmcgork ( ) posted Thu, 19 July 2012 at 10:40 PM

CUTE!

very dr geepish

go that way really fast.
if something gets in your way
turn

operaguy ( ) posted Fri, 20 July 2012 at 10:07 AM

tool I use to subdivide or decimate mesh exported from poser:

http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/

it is free.

Why decimate? example: export V4 head and neck. Open in MeshLab. Decimate the millions of polys down to less than 100. Save .obj and import back into Poser. Parent to V4 Head. Collide hair against it only. Much faster than colliding against the full head/neck mesh.

::::: Opera :::::

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.