Tue, Oct 22, 10:42 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 10:35 am)

Subject: Poser pro 2012 Network drive glitch

snakegrab ( ) posted Tue, 13 March 2012 at 6:26 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 8:29 AM

I have Poser pro 2012 installed on Windows 7 64 bit.  My runtimes are all located on network drives and mapped to the local machine.  When I bring poser up the first time none of the runtimes show in the poser library.  If I go in and click but not add each of the mapped drives and then exit and restart poser the runtimes now appear.

This is mostly an annoyance more than anything else but I was wondering if anybody else had seen this behavior and had a fix.  

wimvdb ( ) posted Tue, 13 March 2012 at 6:42 PM

I have the same setup as you have and do not have the problem

However.... If the system containing the actual data are off at the moment you start your machine containing the networked drives, those drives will not be seen (disconnected) until you access them directly. If you start Poser in this situation it will see no drives containing your runtimes. Poser is not aware of networked drives - it treats them as local drives just like local disks and external removable drives.

So to solve your problem (if it is the one I described) either switch on your network machine before you boot your main machine or create a batch file which access the runtimes before poser is started

shvrdavid ( ) posted Tue, 13 March 2012 at 7:45 PM

There is a non-persistance error in the way GPP manages mapped drives in Windows 7.

It is a known issue, hurry up and wait... What it boils down to is that the network service has not finalized when the op system tries to map the drive.

You should be able to get around it by editing the library.xml file and changing the drive info to UNC style. IE server nameshare runtime.

I am not tried it with Poser, but I have had to do it in other programs and it should work.

You dont even need to map the drive this way.

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->

wimvdb ( ) posted Tue, 13 March 2012 at 7:52 PM · edited Tue, 13 March 2012 at 7:53 PM

UNC style has a more severe problem: You are unable to write to the library if you attach it that way. UNC networked names are not supported in Poser is the official word.

The network drive reconnect problem has existed since Windows XP. Poser has been changed in version 8 that it will now not throw away the runtimes anymore once it has been unable to locate them. Before that you had to add them again

snakegrab ( ) posted Tue, 13 March 2012 at 8:10 PM

Thanks for the replies.  My netork machine is on before I bring up the poser machine.  The mapping works fine in other apps and even Poser can see the files when I click on the add button albeit with a big red X next to each drive.  This only when I first start the poser machine and bring poser up the first time.  The "GPP" issues sounds like it might be what's going on.  What does "GPP" stand for?  I'm not familiar with the acronym.

shvrdavid ( ) posted Tue, 13 March 2012 at 9:17 PM

GPP is the group policy settings, you have to have pro or above to use it, it is not in the lower versions of windows 7. (You can still make all the changes, you just have to do them in regedit in the lower versions)

Unfortunelty, even Microsoft seems to be baffled on exactly how to fix it....

If you have the red x on the mapped drives but can still get to them, that is the known issue where the network service delays and causes all sorts of problems.

People have been screaming about that since 7 came out.....

Some things are easy to explain, other things are not........ <- Store ->   <-Freebies->

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.