Wed, Sep 18, 10:50 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 7:39 am)

Subject: Can't Open Gif Animations with Windows 7.

romangirl ( ) posted Fri, 16 March 2012 at 12:05 PM · edited Tue, 10 September 2024 at 5:48 PM

I read an article that said if you loved Windows XP, you would hate W7.  But it went on to say how much more you will come to love W7.  NOT!  For years, I've been sending animated gifs that I created with Poser.  Now, recipients can't open them.  And I can't open gifs sent to me.  I did download irfan view, which gives me a backdoor method of opening these files.  But isn't there an easier way?  I have been totally frustrated by Windows 7.

JAFO ( ) posted Fri, 16 March 2012 at 1:06 PM

right click the .gif file and click 'open with' then browse for either internet explorer or firefox, whatever browser you use, click always use this option and click OK...there should be no prob after that...i use W7 with .gif's with no problems...hope this helps...

:O)

Y'all have a great day.

LaurieA ( ) posted Fri, 16 March 2012 at 1:26 PM

Yea, I have no problems with animated gifs either (Win7 64 bit).

Laurie

lmckenzie ( ) posted Fri, 16 March 2012 at 8:47 PM

I don't have Win7 so I can't test or vouch for this but it's mentioned on some Win7 forums. Try at your own discretion :-)

http://www.goofwear.com/windows/ 

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

MikeMoss ( ) posted Fri, 16 March 2012 at 9:36 PM · edited Fri, 16 March 2012 at 9:38 PM

Hi

I'm not sure about the Goofwear program, it comes up as Malware in both my AV and Malwarebytes.

I'm using IrfanView and it work fine, no virus.

I'm using it in Windows 8 but it's designed for Windows 7, I haven't installed it there yet.

Just install the small program that can view a zillion types of files and set it as default for Gif files.  When you click on one it will open and animate.

http://www.irfanview.com/

Mike

If you shoot a mime, do you need a silencer?

Medzinatar ( ) posted Fri, 16 March 2012 at 11:43 PM

file_479598.jpg

If you want to view animated gif's in browser or program that use browser call to display, you have to make sure such is enabled. I have mine disabled because they are annoying for the most part.  I find it hard to read in a forum when 20 or so images are making odd movements.

romangirl ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2012 at 10:53 AM

Thank you all for your help!

lmckenzie ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2012 at 7:00 PM

I scanned the Windows 7 Gif Viewer.exe with Avast & it came up clean. According to virustotal, only Symantec reports a problem with it out of 43 AV products so YMMV. I'd install it myself but it won't install on XP :-)

https://www.virustotal.com/file/3575e6814037e90c38c41dc7b9470bd901a5aa6aa436a1c4c502a0659b03b1fa/analysis/ 

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

lmckenzie ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2012 at 7:56 PM

UPDATE: I unpacked the gif viewer file. It has a copy of the Windows XP Picture and Fax Viewer dll and instructions to view .gif files using it. The dll is the same as the one on my XP SP2 system. So basically, it's just using the XP viewer for .gifs. I also ran a MalwareBytes scan with the latest definitions and it came up clean - of course that's just scanning the uninstalled file. In summary, I'm pretty sure this is safe - that is, I'd use it but again, use your own judgement.

MikeMoss ( ) posted Sun, 18 March 2012 at 3:06 PM

Hi

My virus scanner popped as soon as I installed it, I then ran Malwarebytes and it flagged and removed it.  

All this could be because they just see it as something that they don't see as belonging, and this is in Windows 8 as I said.

I haven't tried it in Windows 7 yet, I'll see what happens the next time I log into 7.

Mike

If you shoot a mime, do you need a silencer?

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Sun, 18 March 2012 at 3:24 PM

Quote - Hi

My virus scanner popped as soon as I installed it, I then ran Malwarebytes and it flagged and removed it.  

All this could be because they just see it as something that they don't see as belonging, and this is in Windows 8 as I said.

I haven't tried it in Windows 7 yet, I'll see what happens the next time I log into 7.

Mike

that was nothing to do with windows 8. that was purely Malwarebytes on it's own.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.