Tue, Oct 1, 11:35 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: do you want to make comics in poser? check this out.

estherau ( ) posted Fri, 01 June 2012 at 2:23 AM · edited Tue, 01 October 2024 at 5:34 AM

Attached Link: http://www.runtimedna.com/Shaderworks-Collection/

[ AdvShaders Launcher: Art Materials Toon plugin](http://www.runtimedna.com/AdvShaders-Launcher-Art-Materials-Toon-plugin.html)

This is what I use to make my comic.  I just noticed it's on sale for less than 2 dollars right now at rdna.  But you also need olivier's art marterials to get it to work.

My poser scene creation would be really slow without my python utilities.  There are lots of useful scripts on their website, but of course the tooning one is my favourite.   I sometimes run a photoshop filter over the top of the render and I also do a little postwork usually for my comics.  The last episode I have done so far contains the artwork that I am most happy about.  I have a pretty good workflow now.

Love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

cedarwolf ( ) posted Fri, 01 June 2012 at 9:33 AM

Summitsoft has a great little program called "Comic Creator" for around $25.00 USD.  It's the one I have my students purchase when I teach my comics course.  It's not as good as some of its predecessors, but it works pretty darned good.  And, there are comic page templates for free download online.

http://summitsoftcorp.com/

jjroland ( ) posted Fri, 01 June 2012 at 11:10 AM

Where do you teach your "comics course"?  I would be very interested in something like that.

I am:  aka Velocity3d 

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Fri, 01 June 2012 at 12:44 PM

i want to create manga pages in Poser.  trying to make a speech bubble set of props, i hate postworing

y'know what would be awesome, a 'text material node' and a python script or something to type in the text !!!

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

Radar_Foxbat ( ) posted Fri, 01 June 2012 at 12:49 PM

thanks I'll hve to check this out. I've been wanting to animate a story but figured I'd make a cartoon or make individual scenes to be like a storyboard then animate between the scenes later kind of like the way they do anime. not a smooth countinous animation but a quickway to get something done. 

If you talk to the Animals, they will talk with you. And you will know each other. If you do not talk to them, you will not know them. And what you do not know you will fear, What one fears One destroys." Chief Dan George-Tsleil-Waututh Nation Next time your scared by a bat remember 8 million have died from White Nose Syndrome 1 bat=5 lbs bugs/year=1-2 million mosquitoes/year 1 small bat house = 250-700 bats you do the math. West Nile Virus infected 5287 people killed 243 last year is your home protected? http://fewerr.org/Pictures/WNV_Bat_Mosquito_yellow%202.pdf

http://www.fewerr.org/PDF/bookfly1.pdf

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Fri, 01 June 2012 at 3:16 PM

images in "advshaders launcher" link at the top don't look much improved over poser 5 or 6 shaders IMVHO.   content and set-up of renders is greatly improved, but linework/inking is weak and blotchy, cel-shading is too much like native poser 5 toon shader.  example: b/w girl in front of robot: a pro would make the girl pop out with dramatic inking, and I know poser can do excellent line work, but I'm not seeing that.  still, $1.99 is not a bad price; the fans will continue to accept poser renders as toons with minimal work.

wolf359 ( ) posted Fri, 01 June 2012 at 8:11 PM

"images in "advshaders launcher" link at the top don't look much improved over poser 5 or 6 shaders IMVHO.   content and set-up of renders is greatly improved, but linework/inking is weak and blotchy, cel-shading is too much like native poser 5 toon shader."

I agree with your assessment

when I read the thread title I was expecting some huge leap forward

oh well.

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

estherau ( ) posted Fri, 01 June 2012 at 8:35 PM

Yes, his promos don't do this software justice.  It depends how you use the software and semidieu doen'st make comics as far as I know.

I think he still has the same promos as before.

But what do you think of my panals then (see the last set which are the best ones)?

Love esther

wolf359 ( ) posted Fri, 01 June 2012 at 8:58 PM

file_481953.jpg

I think the biggest hinderance to good toon shading is that most poser content was not built/tetxtured with toon shading in mind and the effect always looks like a "forced on" post effect.

Here at age 48, I recently restarted my childhood hobby of collecting comic books again in digital format for reading on my android tablet.

I admit My eyes are just spoiled for anything that falls short of looking like a real comic book and all of these poser"comics" fall way short in that regard IMHO.

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

NanetteTredoux ( ) posted Sat, 02 June 2012 at 12:49 AM

I use the art shaders, both toon and dry media, but I decided not to use them for my story, to keep the workflow simpler and get more done. I use the dry media graphite shader from RDNA for general illustration work that needs to be printed in black and white. It is slow, but I am happy with the result. I am not so satisfied with the toon shaders, so I stick with normal Poser renders for my story.

For layout I use Comic Life, which I recently upgraded to version 2. It is a pleasure to use and suits my purpose nicely.

I agree that the toon shaders have a very different look from real inked comics. But I like both. I think Esther does excellent work with Avenging Angel.

Poser 11 Pro, Windows 10

Auxiliary Apps: Blender 2.79, Vue Complete 2016, Genetica 4 Pro, Gliftex 11 Pro, CorelDraw Suite X6, Comic Life 2, Project Dogwaffle Howler 8, Stitch Witch

estherau ( ) posted Sat, 02 June 2012 at 1:52 AM

I think whatever method you use, a little postwork goes a long way, eg a whisp of hair or a couple of wrinkles and folds in the clothes etc.

lmckenzie ( ) posted Sat, 02 June 2012 at 3:28 AM

Very nice Esther! 

I know that the toon shaders in various renderers give you varying degrees of control over the process but it's probably going to be very difficult to get a really emulation of hand drwan and inked work - probably more difficult than getting 'photo-realism.' OTOH, CGI comics are a different medium that should probably be viewed in terms of their own esthetic, rather than trying too hard to reproduce an entirely different medium. The potential for interaction, animated elements etc. opens up a whole world of possibilities for redefining comics IMO. Of course, there's no substitute for pulling a cardboard box of treasures out from under the bed, smelling the ink and pulp, and actully turning pages. Oops, Miss April - wrong box :-)

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

nish-j ( ) posted Sat, 02 June 2012 at 5:01 AM

Quote - AdvShaders Launcher: Art Materials Toon plugin

This is what I use to make my comic.  I just noticed it's on sale for less than 2 dollars right now at rdna.  But you also need olivier's art marterials to get it to work.

My poser scene creation would be really slow without my python utilities.  There are lots of useful scripts on their website, but of course the tooning one is my favourite.   I sometimes run a photoshop filter over the top of the render and I also do a little postwork usually for my comics.  The last episode I have done so far contains the artwork that I am most happy about.  I have a pretty good workflow now.

Love esther

Oh, oh this tool required "Art Materials Vol 1 Toon it" for 50 $ !!!!!

estherau ( ) posted Sat, 02 June 2012 at 5:30 AM

yep, but for the rest of your poser life you can make poser cartoons with lines and cells hading if you want.

parkdalegardener ( ) posted Sat, 02 June 2012 at 5:49 AM

Quote - i want to create manga pages in Poser.  trying to make a speech bubble set of props, i hate postworing

y'know what would be awesome, a 'text material node' and a python script or something to type in the text !!!

ockham had a set in the free stuff as well I think pokeydots may also have had a set IIRC

estherau ( ) posted Sat, 02 June 2012 at 5:56 AM

have you even tried comic life yet?  What do you want that is not in this software?

Love esther

cedarwolf ( ) posted Sat, 02 June 2012 at 5:30 PM

I teach at Northeastern State University at Tahlequah, Oklahoma.  It's a summer course that is grounded in the literature basis of graphic novels, comics, manga, and animation. It also covers teaching with these materials for the K12 teacher as well as scripting, layout and design, Joseph Campbell and the Heroes Quest.  The final for the class is to create a 6 page comic book, and document its use in the classroom, literary base, and the research used to create the comic.  I had to take this summer off because of double bypass surgery, but its a great course to teach.

There are three free sets of word balloons for Poser at:

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/search.php?section_id=-1&query=word+balloons&sort=relevancy&use_age=no&older_age=&older_units=day&newer_age=&newer_units=day&username=

or by doing a search in the Freebies for Word Balloons+Poser.

wolf359 ( ) posted Sat, 02 June 2012 at 5:56 PM

Seriously I dont know why anyone would not be using comiclife particularly for its easy drag& drop word ballons& drag and drop panels and templates
there is a free trial so you can see for yourself

http://plasq.com/products/comiclife2/win

My website

YouTube Channel

estherau ( ) posted Sat, 02 June 2012 at 6:48 PM

I agree Wolf.  I don't think people realize that the balloons can be stretched and adjusted in shape and size etc so easily.  Maybe some of you think the balloons are static things.

Love esther

wolf359 ( ) posted Sat, 02 June 2012 at 7:00 PM

"don't think people realize that the balloons can be stretched and adjusted in shape and size etc so easily."

Yes Esther not to mention all the color& stroke variations and drop shadow options.
it saves so much time in laying out your pages.

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

estherau ( ) posted Sat, 02 June 2012 at 7:15 PM

It's made a huge difference to my comic making life.  I can't understand why everyone isn't using this.

Love esther

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sun, 03 June 2012 at 4:32 PM

on second thought, olivier's b/w promo render of girl in front of robot is not bad IMVHO.  I would add line variation in APS as usual.  poser sets it up so everything can be easily masked.

monkeycloud ( ) posted Sun, 03 June 2012 at 4:40 PM

Oooh... that Comic Life does look pretty useful eh? A heck of a lot cheaper than Manga Studio too...

...does anyone use that here?

I was big into making comics when I was a kid... but drew them out in pencil, before inking and colouring them. This was in the late seventies through to mid eighties! I couldn't have got the look I was after on the Commodore Amiga I had at the time. LOL.

From that perspective, just being able to put a page layout together in Photoshop or Illustrator now, seems like a major time saver!

If I was going to make comics again now though, I'd almost certainly use Poser etc. I reckon... ;-)

wolf359 ( ) posted Sun, 03 June 2012 at 4:55 PM

"...does anyone use that here?"

I used Comiclife to layout this comic
MY COMIC HERE
,using all poser assets but rendered in Cinema4D

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2012 at 10:57 AM

I use Comic Life for layout, but then again, I'm not attempting to get traditional looking comic art.

monkeycloud ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2012 at 2:10 PM

Quote - "...does anyone use that here?"

I used Comiclife to layout this comic
MY COMIC HERE
,using all poser assets but rendered in Cinema4D

Cheers

Very nice Wolf, cheers ;-)

Looks well worth a try out... and its on the Apple app store, meaning its easier to pretend I'm not spending any actual money on it... he he. Not that it's asking a lot of dosh for what it does anyway... 

Radar_Foxbat ( ) posted Mon, 04 June 2012 at 2:30 PM

Attached Link: free webinar

just got this in I got manga haven't tried it out yet but was wanting to try out anime studio too here is a fee webinar if anyone wants to see what the program can do. I'll be there.

http://my.smithmicro.com/webinars/anime-studio/series/animation-project-creation-for-beginners/index.html

If you talk to the Animals, they will talk with you. And you will know each other. If you do not talk to them, you will not know them. And what you do not know you will fear, What one fears One destroys." Chief Dan George-Tsleil-Waututh Nation Next time your scared by a bat remember 8 million have died from White Nose Syndrome 1 bat=5 lbs bugs/year=1-2 million mosquitoes/year 1 small bat house = 250-700 bats you do the math. West Nile Virus infected 5287 people killed 243 last year is your home protected? http://fewerr.org/Pictures/WNV_Bat_Mosquito_yellow%202.pdf

http://www.fewerr.org/PDF/bookfly1.pdf

NishikiIsshiki ( ) posted Tue, 05 June 2012 at 6:34 AM

Quote - AdvShaders Launcher: Art Materials Toon plugin

Stay away from it.
The script "Advanced Render Launcher" is not running.
It only produces error messages.

estherau ( ) posted Tue, 05 June 2012 at 7:25 AM

get it whilst it is on sale and I am sure that rdna will get it working.  It's only 2 dollars.  

I can't toon without that software.

Love esther

NishikiIsshiki ( ) posted Tue, 05 June 2012 at 9:51 AM

Quote - get it whilst it is on sale and I am sure that rdna will get it working.  It's only 2 dollars.  

I can't toon without that software.

Love esther

No, no, I'm talking about the "Advanced shader Launcher" for $ 4.50.
The Python script has firmly set in the directories of the developer .pyc-file.
In answer to my inquiries since two days I get no response.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:UsersBasilDesktopPoser PythonFINISHED_P9 UPDATEReleasedSemi-036-AdvancedShadersLauncher_P9sourceAdvancedShaders_Launcher.py", line 1865, in Load_Shaders
  File "C:UsersBasilDesktopPoser PythonFINISHED_P9 UPDATEReleasedSemi-036-AdvancedShadersLauncher_P9sourceAdvancedShaders_Launcher.py", line 1940, in AM_Apply_Customization
NameError: global name 'Get_Material_Color_Node' is not defined

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 05 June 2012 at 1:37 PM

Quote -
Oh, oh this tool required "Art Materials Vol 1 Toon it" for 50 $ !!!!!

RDNA has a 50% off sale at the end of the year.  Something to keep in mind.

12rounds ( ) posted Thu, 07 June 2012 at 8:26 AM

I've used Oliviers' shaders and Semidieu's python UIs for those shaders for years (5 years or so; since they first arrived at RDNA). I don't make comics, but I aim on making illustrations with a "drawn" like effect.

Easily one the best bucks I've spent on Poser products based on the fact that I end up using the toon or dry shaders on almost every image I make nowadays. Highly recommended for this kind of work, but takes quite some practice.

Like the example image here using textured tritonal toon shader multiplied with duotonal black/white lineshader slightly overlayed with a dry graphite shader. Postwork is rather light on this one (some shadowing/highlighting, minor lining enhancements, saturation changes, belt buckle and belt loops etc).

estherau ( ) posted Thu, 07 June 2012 at 8:42 AM · edited Thu, 07 June 2012 at 8:43 AM

Wow, that looks awesome! 

But you have to several different renders and overlay them?

Love esther

12rounds ( ) posted Thu, 07 June 2012 at 9:07 AM · edited Thu, 07 June 2012 at 9:08 AM

Esther, yes I render several different toon/dry renders of the same image at one go and blend them later to form the basis of postwork (perhaps discarding some depending on how quickly I'm happy with the results - quite often a tritonal shader under a darken layer of b/w lineshader render is enough to create a nice starting point). 

estherau ( ) posted Thu, 07 June 2012 at 9:15 AM

So do you change your tooned PZ3 scene to another style or do you have to start with your non-tooned one for the second render?

Love esther

PS it looks totally brilliant!!!

12rounds ( ) posted Thu, 07 June 2012 at 10:55 AM

Esther, I just "work my way down", ie. first do a textured tooned shader, then follow that with b/w shader, follow that with a dry graphite etc. No need to "start over" or anything complex really.

AmbientShade ( ) posted Thu, 07 June 2012 at 2:46 PM

Very nice 12rounds. I like your style.

Not sure if this would be of much use to many here, but if you want some ways of experimenting with toon shaders in photoshop with layers, Nick Zuccarello has this video tutorial demonstrating some techniques. He uses zbrush, but the same/similar methods could be translated to poser. 

http://vimeo.com/36577947

~Shane

wolf359 ( ) posted Thu, 07 June 2012 at 3:29 PM

Excellent Hand drawn effect 12rounds!!

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

Chris_Virata ( ) posted Thu, 07 June 2012 at 4:30 PM

Another possibility:
A Poser Figure (V4) and normally rendered and then with a Photoshop plugin modified.

toon

Coleman ( ) posted Thu, 07 June 2012 at 4:57 PM

Great thread!!

What Photoshop plug-in did you use Chris_Virata? Excellent image!

Chris_Virata ( ) posted Thu, 07 June 2012 at 5:05 PM

Quote - Great thread!!

Thank you.

The plugin is "ToonIt"

cedarwolf ( ) posted Thu, 07 June 2012 at 5:11 PM

What version of Photoshop, Chris_Virata?  Some of us quit trying to keep up when it reached the cost of a decent used car.

estherau ( ) posted Thu, 07 June 2012 at 7:03 PM

i use toonit sometimes - i like to appply a little over my shaderworks toons as post work

love esther

Chris_Virata ( ) posted Fri, 08 June 2012 at 7:39 AM

Quote - What version of Photoshop, Chris_Virata?  Some of us quit trying to keep up when it reached the cost of a decent used car.

This plugin works with all versions of Photoshop.

I have use it with CS3, CS4, CS5 and now in CS6.

thinkcooper ( ) posted Fri, 08 June 2012 at 10:09 AM · edited Fri, 08 June 2012 at 10:09 AM

Quote - > Quote - Great thread!!

Thank you.

The plugin is "ToonIt"

Hello Chris - sent you a message using the Renderosity messaging system yesterday - I'd love to connect with you. Steve Cooper
Poser Product Manager

Chris_Virata ( ) posted Fri, 08 June 2012 at 3:30 PM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - Great thread!!

Thank you.

The plugin is "ToonIt"

Hello Chris - sent you a message using the Renderosity messaging system yesterday - I'd love to connect with you. Steve Cooper
Poser Product Manager

Sorry, but I have no message ?!

thinkcooper ( ) posted Fri, 08 June 2012 at 3:51 PM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - > Quote - Great thread!!

Thank you.

The plugin is "ToonIt"

Poser Product Manager

Sorry, but I have no message ?!

I'll try sending another - for some reason there are two in my sent box to you - maybe their messaging system is having a conniption. An idea - you could try sending me a message as well - basically, I want to get you my email address so we can connect.

Cheers,

Cooper

Banaman ( ) posted Sat, 09 June 2012 at 12:20 PM · edited Sat, 09 June 2012 at 12:22 PM

Beautiful Art, Text and Info on the Feds.

The Creator fashioned Gold, Silver, Gems and other enduring elements. 

The Humanimal Gods want to put their mugs and names on everything.

Chris_Virata ( ) posted Sun, 10 June 2012 at 4:36 AM

Quote -  

The Creator fashioned Gold, Silver, Gems and other enduring elements. 

The Humanimal Gods want to put their mugs and names on everything.

Must we understand this?

imagination304 ( ) posted Sun, 10 June 2012 at 4:55 AM

(bookmarked)

monkeycloud ( ) posted Tue, 12 June 2012 at 6:52 AM

That Toonit filter looks like a great time saver for sure...

...but if you have Photoshop is it not possible to get pretty good results with just combining the standard filters? The following isn't a perfect example, but it gives an idea:

http://www.photoshopcstutorial.com/photo-effects-tutorials/cartoon-drawing-tutorial.php

Once you have the combination of effects that works for you, create an action to automate the filters you've used into one task? e.g.

http://morris-photographics.com/photoshop/tutorials/actions.html

(sorry just on a coffee break... these are just the first example tutorials that Google threw up... there are quite possibly better, more appropriate ones)

Cheers ;-)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.