Sun, Oct 6, 7:26 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: some question on cloth

colorcurvature ( ) posted Fri, 08 June 2012 at 2:39 PM · edited Tue, 06 August 2024 at 5:23 PM

I have been wondering why clothing morphs. Should it really? Be it DAZ Autofit magic, or Poser Morph Parameters. Now matter would it will get deformed, stretched, mangled, or whatever :). Aint real world cloth work differently? Slices of the same material in different sizes are put together. Big belly need more material. You do not stick a big belly in a tiny shirt. So I wondered, why arent we morphing the shapes of the fundamental material slices like a tailor would do and let that glue together by poser. Couldnt one think of a procedural framework for clothes, that lets morph the (unwrapped) shapes of the seperate cloth components, put together by an engine? As morphing a figure would create a new cloth geometry , it would have to be dynamic, but still. I wonder how real world tailors framework their clothings for factory production. To have an assembly line for all the different sizes (waist, length, neck-size, blabla) Anybody know about the real world tailor mass production process? Thanks. :) Col

markschum ( ) posted Fri, 08 June 2012 at 3:01 PM

real world clothing assumes you pick a size that will fit you now. Gain weight, lose weight, tone up your muscles and you need to go buy new clothes.   Thats not feasible for Poser.

If you morph M4 to ass a beer belly you expect the beer belly morph to be in the clothing, so it will fit. If it is not you need to find a utility that will add it , or use magnets or the morph tool.

Dynamic clothing avoids some of this by funning a simulation that drapes the cloth to the figure whatever its shape and within limits that works ok.

I believe I understand your idea, but thats not quite how clothing is assembled since a large waist assumes big butt and heavy thighs (for men) and large shoulder span seems to assume deep chest.

The current morph system can work well, it just seems that many vendors do not include all the morphs that are used to make characters.

shuy ( ) posted Fri, 08 June 2012 at 3:09 PM

In real world clothes affect body in Poser not. Figure with fat morph should be "more fat" naked figure in jeans.

Moreover I noticed, that clothes flexibility depends of brand. When my wife is trying to buy Chinese Tshirt she choose correct size, lenght, material etc. When she try to fit Dior pants, she is much more tolerant. She can draw the stomach etc.

JimTS ( ) posted Fri, 08 June 2012 at 5:14 PM

Two words Marvelous Designer

A word is not the same with one writer as with another. One tears it from his guts. The other pulls it out of his overcoat pocket
Charles Péguy

Heat and animosity, contest and conflict, may sharpen the wits, although they rarely do;they never strengthen the understanding, clear the perspicacity, guide the judgment, or improve the heart
Walter Savage Landor

So is that TTFN or TANSTAAFL?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.