Fri, Sep 20, 12:35 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Using virtual RAM disk with Carrara?

DocMatter ( ) posted Mon, 18 June 2012 at 4:41 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 10:39 AM

I saw some info on using a RAM disk (a virtual memory on the RAM) to help speed up programs and wondered if that would have any effect on Carrara (since it seems to take forever to open and save most of my .car files)

Has anyone tried this?  I don't want to mess with my Carrara unless I'm pretty sure about something.

Thanks!

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Mon, 18 June 2012 at 11:10 PM

Carrara does have a virtual memory set up for the memory spooling of textures. As a rule, real RAM is way better than spooling. However, if that is not an option, you'll get the best results by setting 100M of spooling (virtual RAM) per Gig of RAM. It will boost save times - but not as much as real RAM.

Using more or less than that is up to you and your system, so you can experiement. However, when I talked to one of the developers, that was the rule-of-thumb he gave me. 

PJared ( ) posted Mon, 25 June 2012 at 5:04 PM

I've tried installing Carrara to an external drive and a dedicated partition.  I've also adjusted my scratch disk to an external drive and a dedicated partition.  It works fine, the technique worked with a wide assortment of software.  It also allows for creating, and maintaining multiple folders for content.  Another benefit is it makes defragging and running scan disk practical.  I can run disk utilities on my 3d related partitions and watch a movie or use another app while it runs without loss of performance.

The down side is installing content or plug-ins.  For content it works fine.  Plug-in require installation in your root drive and may be difficult to troubleshoot.  Another issue is the external interface speed.  I use my primary USB port for speed.  Another warnining is if you use the app and the external drive isn't connected the app will reset the scratch disk location to it's default path.

I use this technique because I've migrated from desktops to laptops for my computing.  I got tired of trying to upgrade hardware and have resolved to maximize what I have.

DocMatter ( ) posted Fri, 29 June 2012 at 1:35 PM

Thanks for your input!  I think I'll just use Carrara's built in virtual memory for now and use the settings mentioned.

I also already have all my Poser content on a separate partitioned drive and that does seem to help.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.