Mon, Sep 16, 10:52 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 16 7:48 pm)

Subject: MrSparky's Stupidly Large Sketchbook

mrsparky ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2012 at 9:30 PM · edited Fri, 02 August 2024 at 1:38 PM

file_484952.jpg

Figured as everyone else is posting sketchbooks heres mine :) As you can see my canvas is a bit bigger than most monitors. Yep I've got an entire museum/exhibition centre to play with! This piccy shows part of the downstairs area which has 12 display cases. Most of which are running audio presentations for now. But on some - as you can see in the image below - I'm creating some new videos for the chaps.

Pinky - you left the lens cap of your mind on again.

mrsparky ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2012 at 9:30 PM

file_484953.jpg

Yep thats a poser dinosaur on screen. This one is being scynced across 2 media players and 2 screens.

mrsparky ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2012 at 9:31 PM

file_484954.jpg

How it works is shown here. Theres a little black box in the base, which plays videos/sounds, with each track (a different language) that plays when a visitor presses a button. And yes part of the job is wiring up everything on that panel!

mrsparky ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2012 at 9:32 PM

file_484955.jpg

Another fix I'm doing is to make Boris roar again, another little black box this time with a remote control. So as well as roaring for the kids, he can also wish people a happy easter or xmas:)

mrsparky ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2012 at 9:32 PM

file_484956.jpg

Though a favourite bit is this little dudey. The smidgy green thing is a IR/body heat sensor, so when someone walks past it'll trigger the player which is connected to a projector or screen. More of these triggers will be used later on the upstairs level, to show flying/walking dinosaurs or play videos.

rokket ( ) posted Wed, 08 August 2012 at 11:01 PM

Wow.... I wish I had a museum in my basement... I kinda do, but nothing down there is worth anything anymore. Perhaps when some future civilization digs it up....

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

monkeycloud ( ) posted Thu, 09 August 2012 at 2:07 AM

Awesome! Subscribing to see more... 😄

Whereabouts is the museum?

cedarwolf ( ) posted Thu, 09 August 2012 at 9:52 AM

LilWolff ( ) posted Thu, 09 August 2012 at 3:07 PM

How Cool! I'm watching too!  When you fix it can we have a auto/visual of the dino?

mrsparky ( ) posted Thu, 09 August 2012 at 8:06 PM

file_484986.jpg

rokket - twice now I've visited one museum, and to everyones great delight, theres been both my answerphone and mobile in the display cases! So you might be close :) monkeycloud - it's in Portsmouth near HMS Victory. It's in an old bank, which is an amazing building. Though as it's 1870 something it means when we work we have to really carefull. Still has the old bank vault and wartime graffiti! The photo here shows the view from the window - Thats HMS warrior - so feel kinda priveileged to work in such an interesting place. That piccy is one photo from a timelapse I did last week as well.

mrsparky ( ) posted Thu, 09 August 2012 at 8:07 PM

file_484987.jpg

It's also right on the harbour and a transport hub, so theres often something interesting. Like this was the view when I got off the train early this morning. Apparently it's italian.

file_484988.jpg

This one was the view when I left tonight.

file_484989.jpg

LilWolff- If it's OK with the chaps. I see if I can post an audio of the roar or a video walkthrough. The actual dinosaur's jaw is broken and animatronics is not one of my specialitys. Done some RC stuff, but I'm not sure if I can fix the beastie or not. If not I created a backup plan of using a media player, triggered by a remote control, so visiting kids can enjoy it. It's also contructed differently from most musuem dinosaurs. Fire retardant foam over wire. Most are fibreglass like this at Blackpool Zoo. Wasn't working at the zoo, just taking photos for local hotel brochures and websites. Which is yet another one of my many jobs.

mrsparky ( ) posted Thu, 09 August 2012 at 8:08 PM

file_484990.jpg

None of this actually pays very well, but spending the afternoon seeing kittys like these makes up for that! Though I never did discover just how big the can of cat food needed to feed that cutie was :)

LilWolff ( ) posted Sat, 11 August 2012 at 5:10 PM · edited Sat, 11 August 2012 at 5:13 PM

I can understand the perks to that job! My favorite was a zoological park and museum that I did the accounting for. Was really sad when I had to give up that job ;-( the  perks more than the working part. :-)

ps

Big cats there we fed road kill deer are they doing the same where you work?

mrsparky ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 6:37 AM

file_485095.jpg

*..Was really sad when I had to give up that job* Yea I know how you feel there, just to be the arts and craft worker on a play bus. Loved face painting the kids and watching them act out what they'd been painted. Though I can still do a mean robot arm :) *Big cats there we fed road kill deer are they doing the same where you work?* I don't think so, this stuff looked like big bits of cow, kinda stuff you'd get from the butcher. Though can't say for sure as I don't work there, I was just taking photos there. Apols if I was unclear there, but some of my other jobs are photography and websites. Normally for tourist and event publications. My usual stuff is like the two here, taken at this weekends airbourne.

mrsparky ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 6:38 AM

file_485096.jpg

These really strange French ones displayed to the soundtrack from StarWars making them even cooller!

LilWolff ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 4:32 PM

Looks like you get to go to some very interesting place. :-)

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 4:50 PM

Quote - None of this actually pays very well, but spending the afternoon seeing kittys like these makes up for that! Though I never did discover just how big the can of cat food needed to feed that cutie was :)

They have a zoo of sorts where I live in the Philippines that you can feed live tigers with chickens. But get there early in the morning to do it. They are more lively and hungry then. If you go in the afternoon, they will just look at you and not come and eat the chicken.

I have a pic of my daughter sitting with a baby albino tiger. I just don't have it on my laptop or I would post it.

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

mrsparky ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2012 at 3:25 AM

Looks like you get to go to some very interesting place. :-) I do:) and I won't deny thats often the best part of this job! Also consider myself very forunate to have the opportunity to do so. Worst parts are long hours, no job security or regular salary, but thats normal for in the artyworld. It's kinda like thats the payoff for all the freedom. Especally the poser side of things. If an accountant looked at what the average seller put in in hours, cost of hardware and software etc etc, compared to the returns they'd have a heart attack. Though we all know 3d stuff is usuallly more about the love of it, than the money :) They have a zoo of sorts where I live in the Philippines that you can feed live tigers with chickens. But get there early in the morning to do it. They are more lively and hungry then. You can do that here at some zoos. Though usually it's an extra, and expensive, experience. If you go in the afternoon, they will just look at you and not come and eat the chicken. That sounds just like my cats :) I have a pic of my daughter sitting with a baby albino tiger. I just don't have it on my laptop or I would post it. That sounds lovey!

Ragtopjohnny ( ) posted Sat, 18 August 2012 at 11:59 AM

Quote - These really strange French ones displayed to the soundtrack from StarWars making them even cooller!

Just so you know, that's the Rutan EZ Long ----- it looks like its a design of it's big brother, the Beech Starship.  The designer Burt Rutan seemed to like pusher prop designs.   😄

Poser Pro 2012/3DS Max 2013/Adobe Photoshop Elements 10/Zbrush/

PC: HP Z820 Workstation, 3.30 ghz 8 core Intel Processor, 2gig nvidia Quadro, 16 gig of Ram and 2TB Hard Drive.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.