Sat, Oct 5, 10:29 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 9:59 am)

Subject: Which poser dragon do you prefer?

Lyrra ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 12:43 AM · edited Sat, 05 October 2024 at 10:26 AM

So I'm setting up texturing projects for later ...

and I'm dithering between Mildragon and Subdragon.

Whcih made me wonder .. which dragon do people prefer? and why?

Lyrra

Hana-Hanabi ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 1:17 AM

I have Mildragon. But I do like the look of Subdragon. I may have to pick it up at some point.

My only complaint with the mildragon is that the wing membranes are single-sided, which precludes SSS on them. Sigh.

花 | 美 | 花美 | 花火 
...It's a pun. 

Latexluv ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 2:15 AM

Yeah, that's one problem with the Milidragon, there's also the problem of its IMO pitifully small eyes. However it does look more ferocious than the old DAZ dragon that had spindly back legs.

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

Poser Pro 2012, SR2, Paintshop Pro 8

toastie ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 5:33 AM

MilDragon out of those two - and it's always in need of good hi-res textures. I don't use the SubDragon much, never been very impressed by it.

(I definitely prefer Swidhelm's Skywyrm to either of those though).

monkeycloud ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 5:48 AM · edited Mon, 13 August 2012 at 5:49 AM

I prefer subdragon out of the stated two.

However prefer the look of Skywyrm I'd say, over both, too...

...I also like Dregon myself, too 😄

I noticed there's a texture template for him on sharecg already, via a post at the apparently resurrected Poser Place forum:

http://www.sharecg.com/v/56819/browse/11/Poser/Template---Dregon

LaurieA ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 5:53 AM

I like both the Millennium and Sub Lizards ;). Ya can't have too many dragons...lol.

Laurie

monkeycloud ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 6:00 AM

Are there any good add-on textures for Dregon kicking about, by the way?

😉

parkdalegardener ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 6:30 AM

Out of the two I guess subdragon but my preferance is actually Piccilo. He can be a pain to work with in some situations but he's got one sided, two sided, and dynamic wing membrains right out of the box. For animation I like Wyvern though he's technically not a dragon.

pdg

LaurieA ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 6:32 AM

Oh yeah, Wyvern too ;). And Sea Dragon - both Mallen Lane's and BL Barrets :D. A dragon is a dragon is a dragon....lol.

Laurie

Gareee ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 6:51 AM · edited Mon, 13 August 2012 at 7:01 AM

There was an old thread here that had all the various dragons listed years ago. Daz's dragonworld pretty much swamped the marketplace with dragon products.

I really liked the old oriental dragon from poser pros, and one that someone sold on his own website.. I can't recall him now, and haven't used him in ages.

Remembered him! Curio's Majestic Dragon!

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

PickledPapaya ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 6:58 AM

Subdragon  :)

LaurieA ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 7:07 AM · edited Mon, 13 August 2012 at 7:07 AM

Oh yes...Oriental Dragon. I have him too. I'm sort of a dragon freak. Tend to buy every one that comes down the pike if I know about it ;).

Laurie

Gareee ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 7:24 AM

Hmm I've been hunting and can't locate the old dragon list thread Anton started years ago. Can anyone else find he link?

This makes me wonder, are we actually getting more poser content with new releases, or are they just replacing old ones that have gone missing over the years?

I'm thinking Ragbash, Majestic Dragon, Eastern Dragon, Sixus water dragon, ect.

jerr3d ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 7:42 AM

Attached Link: Poser Dragon animation

> Quote - Which poser dragon do you prefer?  Lyrra

This one...

Gareee ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 7:50 AM

I actually JUST heard back from Curio.. I'm trying to locate my majestic dragon downloads, and sent him a message. If I remember right, there was the dragon, a purple texture for him, and tack.

I'm amazed hes still around somewhere!

LaurieA ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 8:41 AM · edited Mon, 13 August 2012 at 8:51 AM

file_485097.jpg

Wow, Garee...Magestic Dragon is from way back...lol

Another moldy oldie ;). Never liked the wings, so I didn't render em... Ah, how I missed texture stretching....not. LOL

Laurie

RHaseltine ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 9:27 AM

Adult Hatchling.

LaurieA ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 9:37 AM

Yep, the Adult Hatchling is cool too ;). I have that one too..I'm so pathetic...lol

Laurie

Gareee ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 9:44 AM

Yep, ancient, like me.  I also liked the hatchling enough to do the Hatchling dragon PLUS over at daz.

Teyon ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 10:33 AM · edited Mon, 13 August 2012 at 10:42 AM

Quote - Are there any good add-on textures for Dregon kicking about, by the way?

😉

Not that I'm aware. :-(  What were you thinking? Maybe, just maybe, I can squeeze in time to work on one during the weekends.  Dregon, as free as he is, didn't really seem to take off to well.  He's more low poly - like a game model - so it's likely because the low polygon count limits how far you can morph him. I guess folks figured if I can't morph him, why make textures.

monkeycloud ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 10:42 AM

Quote - > Quote - Are there any good add-on textures for Dregon kicking about, by the way?

😉

Not that I'm aware. :-(  What were you thinking? Maybe, just maybe, I can squeeze in time to work on one during the weekends.

Hmmm.... I'm not sure I had anything that specific in mind... as yet... just found the template on sharecg and wondered if anyone had put it to use...

...let me think about the question, Teyon, and get back to you with some more quality answers 😄

Maybe other folk have some ideas for good alternative skins for him too?

What about a saddle / tack for Dregon too... would that work? Is there anything like that already?

Teyon ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 10:51 AM

You know, that would be neat and I thought there was but maybe I should add that to the growing list of things I need to make in my spare time.  Though my current experience with Bertha is making me doubt my rigging knowledge, lol.

monkeycloud ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 11:00 AM

Bertha?

On Dregon, for starters... I really like what's going on texture-wise here... 😉

Pretty elaborate stuff though...  I guess?

LaurieA ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 11:52 AM

That's not a texture...lol. If it is, they're doing things I've never seen before. Is wondering how you bend the tips of those horny scales with a displacement map.

Laurie

monkeycloud ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 12:00 PM · edited Mon, 13 August 2012 at 12:04 PM

Quote - That's not a texture...lol. If it is, they're doing things I've never seen before. Is wondering how you bend the tips of those horny scales with a displacement map.

Laurie

He he. No... LOL... it's a photo of a real world texture... 😄

I'm not sure you could bend the tips with displacement alone???

The bending tips isn't essential though... cool as it is.

The colors and self-similar-esque variation in the sizes of the scales is what I liked most about it... 😄

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 12:15 PM

dragonlinggggg!

and fantasy dragon fly

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

Teyon ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 1:01 PM

Quote - That's not a texture...lol. If it is, they're doing things I've never seen before. Is wondering how you bend the tips of those horny scales with a displacement map.

Laurie

Vector Displacement could do it.  Hopefully we'll get that in a future Poser release.

Gareee ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 1:14 PM

Yeah, I begged sm for it already. or even full 3d normal mapping would be nice.

Teyon ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 1:22 PM

Quote - Yeah, I begged sm for it already. or even full 3d normal mapping would be nice.

Fingers crossed. :D

LaurieA ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 1:22 PM

Quote - > Quote - Yeah, I begged sm for it already. or even full 3d normal mapping would be nice.

Fingers crossed. :D

Mine too! ;)

Laurie

Lyrra ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 7:29 PM

you'd need a normal map to bend the tips like that - poser can now take them I think, but you'd need something to make them. Either ZB or some good sculpting and bake it via xnormal.

Hi Garee! I should have known you'd show up in this one :)

the very very old dragon rollcall thread is dead. But heres the 2006 thread, with plain white renders of a number of beasties

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=629602&page=1

I'd completely overlooked Dregon .. I think he might not get any support because so many people ignore the poser installed library.  I'll give it a poke tonight and see if I get inspired.

Lyrra

Latexluv ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 8:30 PM

I helped with several of Viomar's remaps of the DAZ Dragon. I'm not sure those remapped versions are even in freestuff anymore. They're still in my Poser4 runtime on my external drive.

"A lonely climber walks a tightrope to where dreams are born and never die!" - Billy Thorpe, song: Edge of Madness, album: East of Eden's Gate

Weapons of choice:

Poser Pro 2012, SR2, Paintshop Pro 8

GeneralNutt ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 8:37 PM

I love dragons, and don't think you can have too many. My only gripe is coming up with really good "realistic" shaders for them.

Hana-Hanabi ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 9:49 PM

If spikes are modeled, and not displaced, can you not bend the tips of them with magnets?

花 | 美 | 花美 | 花火 
...It's a pun. 

Gareee ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 9:56 PM

Yep.. you can always combine morphs and displacement maps.

Eric Walters ( ) posted Mon, 13 August 2012 at 11:52 PM

Hi Teyon

Yep! A real limitation of a great model- low poly. Arrrgh. I wonder if he started life as a higher poly model that might still be out there?

Eric

Not that I'm aware. :-(  What were you thinking? Maybe, just maybe, I can squeeze in time to work on one during the weekends.  Dregon, as free as he is, didn't really seem to take off to well.  He's more low poly - like a game model - so it's likely because the low polygon count limits how far you can morph him. I guess folks figured if I can't morph him, why make textures.

Paloth ( ) posted Tue, 14 August 2012 at 12:55 AM

Maybe wings are necessary for dragon popularity. My dragon was barely noticed. Oh well...

Download my free stuff here: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=2&userid=323368

monkeycloud ( ) posted Tue, 14 August 2012 at 1:50 AM

Quote - Maybe wings are necessary for dragon popularity. My dragon was barely noticed. Oh well...

Your Dragon of Plenty looks intruiging Paloth... and a good basket tack(?) and range of fruit there with him too! 😄

Perhaps he does need some conforming wings added, to really take off?

estherau ( ) posted Tue, 14 August 2012 at 7:29 AM

haha monkeycloud - "take off" very good.

Love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

toastie ( ) posted Fri, 17 August 2012 at 4:45 AM

Does the Subdragon work properly in Poser?

Daidalos ( ) posted Wed, 12 September 2012 at 9:31 AM

The subdragon def. Just like the "shape" of that one the best.

"The Blood is the life!"

Daidalos ( ) posted Wed, 12 September 2012 at 9:33 AM

Quote - Does the Subdragon work properly in Poser?

Yes. As far as I know it does. Might now work with say poser two three four or five. But I know I've never ran into any problems using the subdragon with Poser six.  

I should include the disclaimer I may have just been lucky too though, one never knows. :)

"The Blood is the life!"

Daidalos ( ) posted Wed, 12 September 2012 at 9:34 AM

Quote - Maybe wings are necessary for dragon popularity. My dragon was barely noticed. Oh well...

Which dragon is "yours"? 

"The Blood is the life!"

Paloth ( ) posted Wed, 12 September 2012 at 10:40 AM

Attached Link: Dragon of Plenty

*Which dragon is "yours"?*

*It ain't got a thing if it ain't got a wing?

Download my free stuff here: http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php?page=2&userid=323368

monkeycloud ( ) posted Wed, 12 September 2012 at 10:59 AM

Quote - Which dragon is "yours"?

*It ain't got a thing if it ain't got a wing?

Wings aint a personal prerequisite for me... especially not when compensated for by multiple limbs and his own supply of fruit 👍

philebus ( ) posted Wed, 12 September 2012 at 11:09 AM

Ahhhhh...I still like the look of the old DAZ Dragon - a bit low poly by today's standards, with some texture stretch, etc, but still, it's a great shape and head.

Another oldie that I like the look of - who also needs some quality texture work - is the Story Book Dragon.

I generally aim at natural media effects through mats, PS Plugins, or overpainting, so sometimes the model quality isn't so much of an issue as the look, which means that these two have a safe place in my runtime.

I have to add my vote for the Swindhelm dragons though - they are awsome!

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 12 September 2012 at 3:19 PM

maybe somebody could poserise the stanford dragon.

Talos ( ) posted Wed, 10 October 2012 at 12:56 AM

file_487468.jpg

I thought the Hellfish Studios Great Dragon could make the subdragon very decent. (that's not it in my picture) I bought it even though I'm short of cash this month. I didn't notice that it mainly works in DAZ Studio, and Poser isn't really supported. The "read me" from his morphs in free stuff says the morphs may work in Poser. So far no. A shame because I really like the head and body shape. What I have is some very nice poses and textures, but no morphs, and I was getting really bored with the standard subdragon shape. Also getting the files in the proper directories from the zip files is unusually tough, meaning I see no "runtime" or "my libraries" folders in DAZ Studio 4 as specified in the zip file. I'd like to give it a go, but I don't understand DAZ file structures at all. I have all three zip files that I bought, and so far can't find the black texture. My "great love" for DAZ studio is another topic, but like I said, I'd give it a try just for this nice dragon. Sorry to trouble you with this, but it's like a bad dream. I used to be okay with tweaking Mildragon one and two, but Mildragon one is gettting pretty old now.

Enclosed is a render of a red zombie dragon I made out of Mildragon 2 last night. I was trying to get a dragon version of Satan for Halloween. Don't ask me why.

Talos ( ) posted Wed, 10 October 2012 at 1:19 AM

Oops! There is no black dragon texture because it was from another "Light Dragon" pack.

Downloading the material presets from freestuff first was hella confusing. Couldn't figure how to edit my post.

Talos ( ) posted Wed, 10 October 2012 at 2:07 AM

Okay, figured out crazy DAZ studio file structure. It's all in "documents". I might get the dragon to work if I can work with wonderful DAZ studio.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.