Thu, Sep 19, 9:09 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 12:14 am)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Can't open CS5 PSD in Photoshop CS6.

Prometheus273 ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2012 at 1:38 PM · edited Wed, 28 August 2024 at 7:55 AM

I created a PSD in Photoshop CS5.  It has many, many layers and saves at a size of 387 MB.  When open, it is 2.5 GB.  It opens fine in CS5, but when I try to open it in CS6 the progress bar that's seen when loading slows to a stop and stays there.  I tried opening smaller CS5 documents.  The largest document I could open in CS6 was a 297 MB file.  Anything larger would not load.

I have my main hard drive and another hard drive designated as scratch disks.

I have the optimize PSD and PSB files checked in preferences.

My hard drives are defragmented regularly.

Why can't Photoshop CS6 open anything larger than 297 MB?

vitachick ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2012 at 2:38 PM

2.5G is some large render. Wud like to see it...How many layers?  I can't help you just curious to see it.

Win10  Poser 2014/Poser 11 Daz3D

archdruid ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2012 at 5:26 PM

Have you set your cache sizes and preferences?.. also... have you set percentage of RAM for PS to use... this can have that kind of effect if it's set too low. Lou.

P.S. Have you set your pagefiles to "User managed" and set one for each partition?... if you have the HDD space, I recommend 2,000 for minimum and 4,000 for maximum one for each partition.

"..... and that was when things got interestiing."

Prometheus273 ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2012 at 6:52 PM

Yes, I've set my cache sizes and preferences to maximum.

I usually have the memory alottment for Photoshop CS5 and CS6 set to 75%.  Just for kicks I decided to set it to 100% for CS6 but there was no change.

Before I made the changes you suggested, I decded to try opening the file again and waited for a long time to see what happened.  The file did open eventually, but it took about 10-15 minutes to load.  When it opened, it did not display correctly.  Most of the layers of the left side of the document didn't show, but as soon as I zoomed a little, everything showed.  Changing the screen size though took forever.

CS5 opens this file in about 10 seconds.

So then I made the changes you suggested and restarted my computer.

I tried opening the document in CS6 again but it was just as slow

Interestingly, the document sizes in the status bar, for the same document, are different.  In CS5 it shows as 96.2 MB/2.55 GB.  But in CS6 it shows as 96.2 MB/8.17 GB.

archdruid ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2012 at 7:03 PM

hmmm.. sounds like a "fight" over resources... do you have a memory manager installed? Lou.

Prometheus273 ( ) posted Wed, 01 August 2012 at 7:55 PM · edited Wed, 01 August 2012 at 7:58 PM

No, I don't.

Vitachik,

Currently there are 1, 236 layers in the doccument.  Most of them are text (single words).  It's a big document though physically (at least for me) at 8200 x 4100 pixels.

archdruid ( ) posted Thu, 02 August 2012 at 12:06 AM · edited Thu, 02 August 2012 at 12:08 AM

I only suggest it because it seems that you are running quite large docs... Myself, I run Process Lasso free edition.. you can set PS6 to get maximum resources when you run it.. I have several that need max ram allocation, so I do that..  it may not be YOUR best solution, but I think it may be worth a try. Lou.

Here is their website   http://bitsum.com/prolasso.php/ 

You can download whichever version you need.. I have the 64-bit, and it works fine for me.

P.S.  You do NOT have to buy it.. just use the free version.

Prometheus273 ( ) posted Thu, 02 August 2012 at 1:25 AM

Lou,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I will definitely look into that.

RodS ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2012 at 12:54 AM

1236 layers???

falls out of chair....

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage

Prometheus273 ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2012 at 1:03 AM

(Smiles)

Well there's more now.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.