Sun, Sep 22, 4:20 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 2:04 am)

Subject: Poser MAT Files from Studio files?

shannonsuzanne ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2012 at 12:06 PM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 2:51 AM

I purchased something that didn't clearly state that it didn't work in Poser nor was there any warning that it didn't come with Poser files.  Now the person selling it was like oh well too bad sorry I can't help you.  I think it may have been a language barrier b/c I contacted the person before I purchased and the readme file on one of the items did mention Poser.  

At anyrate all they told me was to make my own MAT files cause I have all the stuff for Studio and I should just be able to do it.  Anybody got a link on how to do that or know how to do that?  I have Poser Pro 2012 so if it can be done I should be able to do it, but just don't know what to look it up and the vendor was absolutely no help.  

I really wanted the product so if I can figure out how to get it to work I want to, but it's no good to me in Studio....I don't use it anymore.  

Thank you!  

vitachick ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2012 at 12:17 PM

Have you requested your money back from Daz?

Win10  Poser 2014/Poser 11 Daz3D

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2012 at 1:02 PM · edited Sun, 19 August 2012 at 1:09 PM

Sounds like a good reason to get ur money back to me ;). Any vendor that would say "oh well, tough luck" is unscrupulous in my very humble opinion.

Laurie

foxylady1 ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2012 at 1:07 PM

What product was it and does it have texture files?

Glitterati3D ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2012 at 1:19 PM

Quote - I purchased something that didn't clearly state that it didn't work in Poser nor was there any warning that it didn't come with Poser files.  Now the person selling it was like oh well too bad sorry I can't help you.  I think it may have been a language barrier b/c I contacted the person before I purchased and the readme file on one of the items did mention Poser.  

At anyrate all they told me was to make my own MAT files cause I have all the stuff for Studio and I should just be able to do it.  Anybody got a link on how to do that or know how to do that?  I have Poser Pro 2012 so if it can be done I should be able to do it, but just don't know what to look it up and the vendor was absolutely no help.  

I really wanted the product so if I can figure out how to get it to work I want to, but it's no good to me in Studio....I don't use it anymore.  

Thank you!  

When you load the DS textures does anything load at all? 

Is the products DS3 compatible, or DS4 only?

Do you have any DS product installed?  DS3? 

If you can give us some idea of what you have available, we might be able to walk you through creating the textures.

shannonsuzanne ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2012 at 2:29 PM

Unfortunately I didn't get it at DAZ or I would have asked for a refund.  I actually got it here; so, it is a working product.  I have Studio 4 and it works just fine in it.  It is one of those products that has to go into the "my studio" folders.  It is a texture set for the subdragon.  Loads just fine when installed where it says to install it in studio, so it's not that it doesn't work..it's just that it doesn't work in Poser.  I would guess I need to convert something somehow....    

I didn't want to post the product because I'm not trying to cause any trouble.  Renderosity doesn't have a refund policy so I think I'm just stuck and from the email I got with the "my page shows studio and not poser" I figured they wouldn't give me one anyway and just blame me for the confusion...which is what usually happens to me LOL.  It just makes me mad that the description doesn't say doesn't work or not tested in Poser like other vendors do and I looked at it like 4 times.  Everyone else here that I've run into makes it very clear what it will or will not work with.  You would think if it worked with Studio it would work in Poser, but it is always nice to have that extra knowledge.  Oh well I digress.  I'm still mad because I really like the product...but I just have no love for Studio anymore since I got Pro 2012 :)  

When I load the product in Studio it works just fine, but all it seems to have is .jpg in the folders for texure.   I don't even seen any .DSA that I'm used to seeing for Studio.  It does seem to have .DSF files though.  The product is supposed to be DS3 and DS4 compatible, but I don't have 3 anymore.  Works fine in Studio Pro 4.    

So I guess what I need to know is there a way to take the texture files I have that work in Studio and then convert them to show up in Poser to be applied b/c as they are now they do not show up in Poser at all.   I know there has to be a way, but never having to convert anything I don't remember retaining that knowledge!

Thank you all so much.  

foxylady1 ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2012 at 2:45 PM

Can you bring the texture files into the material room and then adjust them?

shannonsuzanne ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2012 at 3:14 PM

I can't get the files to show up at all in the Poser runtime, even when I have them installed there. So, I wouldn't know how to get them into the material room.  Poser can't "see" the files I guess.  

Glitterati3D ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2012 at 3:39 PM · edited Sun, 19 August 2012 at 3:44 PM

OK, just and FYI...when you are purchasing products at Renderosity and have questions, the first thing to do is open the ReadMe file.  They provide this file for you to read before purchase on the main catalog page, just below the main promo on the right.

However, I have looked at the readme and have a couple of discoveries and suggestions for you:

1.  All the textures are created as .dsf files so there is simply no easy conversion to Poser.  Evidently, this seller has no intention to make any of this easy for you.

2.  There's a folder called:

My LibraryRuntimeTexturesHellFishStudiosSubDragon

which has the texture files you can load in the material room in Poser.  You probably need to copy the folder to your Poser runtime (leave off the "MyLibrary" part).  Of course, since it's a DS file, I can't assure you that all the files you need are there (some may be DS dependent shaders) but it's a starting point.  The seller could have at LEAST told you if all the necessary files were in the folders.

3.  All of the animation files should work as they are standard pz2 files.  The scaling files, however, are probably not going to work at all.

If you need help loading textures in the Material room, let me know and I'll try to help.

shannonsuzanne ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2012 at 4:00 PM

Quote - OK, just and FYI...when you are purchasing products at Renderosity and have questions, the first thing to do is open the ReadMe file.  They provide this file for you to read before purchase on the main catalog page, just below the main promo on the right.

Thank you.  I did read the readmefile, but it doesn't say in there or anywhere else that it won't work in Poser.  I am an average user so file extentions don't always scream at me hey this ain't gonna work.  Usually somebody will point that out so people will know upfront. 

I already tried to load them into the material room and while they did load, they didn't render well at all.  

I've spent most of today tweaking and working on them, but it is beyond my ability.

Thank you all for your help! 

Glitterati3D ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2012 at 4:14 PM

Quote -
Thank you.  I did read the readmefile, but it doesn't say in there or anywhere else that it won't work in Poser.  I am an average user so file extentions don't always scream at me hey this ain't gonna work.  Usually somebody will point that out so people will know upfront. 

I already tried to load them into the material room and while they did load, they didn't render well at all.  

I've spent most of today tweaking and working on them, but it is beyond my ability.

Thank you all for your help! 

Yeah, it should have been clearly noted wtih something like "Not tested in Poser, Poser material files not included."

A simply notation would have made it clear.

I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful and that the seller didn't try to help.

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2012 at 4:45 PM

The unfortunate problem is that you are not at a comfort level to simply take the textures you have and recreate the MAT Room nodes to give you something that you can render correctly.  There is more to just plugging primary nodes into the PoserSurface; there are other factors to consider like displacement maps, bump maps, etc.  This is not intuitive if you are not knowledgeable enough.  And I am pretty sure most advanced users would strip out the old and replace with new to make the textures better.

shannonsuzanne ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2012 at 6:33 PM

Ok crisis averted.  Not only did the vendor agree to a refund, but then in the third email they showed me exactly what I needed to do.   Clear as a bell.  I tried out the textures and they worked great.  I just need a little guidance I guess.  And no you can't convert the .DSF is what I learned LOL.   

I had the "mapped" files so all I had to do was texture the dragon white and then add the files in the material room and save as a material preset myself.  I wasn't saving the critter as white to start with which is why it looked ucky I guess.  

I successfully got all the parts and pieces of the green dragon added all the way down to tongue and teeth.  

I'm so happy and I've learned something today too.  I might even be able to make my own MAT files b/c a lot of the "huhs" that I had were answered today when I had to do this myself.  Now I just need to put all the files where they need to go and do it all over again for each color.  UGH.  :)  

Makes you appreciate MAT files LOL.  

See I told you all I had no clue what I was doing.  LOL.  It's a wonder I can make art in the program sometimes.  This is why I'm the queen of ADD.  

I'm just happy that it worked.  Now if I cold only get the free morphs to behave on the dragon he'd have a cool new head :)  

Thank you all for your help.  

Glitterati3D ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2012 at 6:40 PM

Quote - Ok crisis averted.  Not only did the vendor agree to a refund, but then in the third email they showed me exactly what I needed to do.   Clear as a bell.  I tried out the textures and they worked great.  I just need a little guidance I guess.  And no you can't convert the .DSF is what I learned LOL.   

I had the "mapped" files so all I had to do was texture the dragon white and then add the files in the material room and save as a material preset myself.  I wasn't saving the critter as white to start with which is why it looked ucky I guess.  

I successfully got all the parts and pieces of the green dragon added all the way down to tongue and teeth.  

I'm so happy and I've learned something today too.  I might even be able to make my own MAT files b/c a lot of the "huhs" that I had were answered today when I had to do this myself.  Now I just need to put all the files where they need to go and do it all over again for each color.  UGH.  :)  

Makes you appreciate MAT files LOL.  

See I told you all I had no clue what I was doing.  LOL.  It's a wonder I can make art in the program sometimes.  This is why I'm the queen of ADD.  

I'm just happy that it worked.  Now if I cold only get the free morphs to behave on the dragon he'd have a cool new head :)  

Thank you all for your help.  

Great outcome!  Now that's customer service.

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2012 at 8:33 PM

Now all you really need to do is use Snarly's EZSkin to enhance the textures further add custom SSS, specularity and real skin reflections.

Glitterati3D ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2012 at 8:41 PM

Quote - Now all you really need to do is use Snarly's EZSkin to enhance the textures further add custom SSS, specularity and real skin reflections.

Funny you should mention that, I used the Poser SSS on the Millennium Horse today.  I thought it enchanced it beautifully.

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 19 August 2012 at 8:47 PM

I originally uploaded the Millennium Cat presets for version 1.  Also posted a render showing the translucency of its ear.

foxylady1 ( ) posted Mon, 20 August 2012 at 7:53 AM

Glad you got your problems sorted, shannonsuzanne.  I have a love/hate relationship with the material room, but I usually end up loving what I can do in there.

monkeycloud ( ) posted Mon, 20 August 2012 at 9:38 AM

Quote - > Quote - Now all you really need to do is use Snarly's EZSkin to enhance the textures further add custom SSS, specularity and real skin reflections.

Funny you should mention that, I used the Poser SSS on the Millennium Horse today.  I thought it enchanced it beautifully.

EZSkin 2 works great on all the animals and bugs (and indeed mushrooms) I've tried it with so far... the new figure definition tab is SO easy to use... and then you can save your Mil Horse or Dog or Cat... or Dragon definition.

Same goes for clothing indeed...

Snarly has also now added a dropdown in the SSS tab, so you can pick from the different SSS node presets, e.g. Marble, Potato, Cream, Ketchup...as well as the default Skin1... so you can now easily get different effects with that option.

😄

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.