Tue, Sep 24, 9:40 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 23 7:15 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Macintosh Forum?

Atrice ( ) posted Wed, 15 August 2001 at 5:59 PM · edited Tue, 24 September 2024 at 9:38 PM

I've posted a few queries in the online forums and though I've received plenty of useful replies from friendly and enthusiastic members, they were all PC users and consequently less well informed on Mac questions. Mac users seem to be in the minority in 3D so a forum aimed specifically at mac users would help target those most qualified to help. lease don't think I'm knocking those who replied to my posts, they really were a great help and I'll be asking a lot more stupid questions in the future I can promise you! Atrice

rcook ( ) posted Wed, 15 August 2001 at 6:37 PM

If there is enough support for a Mac forum, we'll certainly consider creating one.

kromekat ( ) posted Sat, 25 August 2001 at 4:26 PM

Hey! - over here... I am a Mac user, and yes it could be useful!!

Adam Benton | www.kromekat.com

spalmer ( ) posted Sun, 26 August 2001 at 5:48 PM

I put my vote in for a Mac forum. :)

marulaz ( ) posted Sun, 02 September 2001 at 9:52 AM

Get my vote.

roobol ( ) posted Tue, 04 September 2001 at 11:00 AM

Mine as well

http://www.roobol.be

gryffnn ( ) posted Thu, 06 September 2001 at 5:41 AM

Would be useful to have a place to post info about Mac-related aspects of various products and procedures. I'd check it regularly.

jnmoore ( ) posted Thu, 06 September 2001 at 8:40 AM

Me, too guys! Jim Moore

ajtooley ( ) posted Thu, 06 September 2001 at 9:06 AM

Count me in!

Grammer ( ) posted Thu, 06 September 2001 at 10:02 AM

would be good

weirdass ( ) posted Thu, 06 September 2001 at 10:55 AM

Attached Link: http://www.weirdass.net

Mac daddy

PilotHigh ( ) posted Thu, 06 September 2001 at 11:33 AM

Me too....... me too!!!!

TheWingedOne ( ) posted Thu, 06 September 2001 at 11:54 AM

Right on! You guys can count on me :)

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Thu, 06 September 2001 at 2:31 PM

1 yes vote from me, if it's a Mac forum for poser and some other specified 3D software. I sometimes have problems with Carrara, e.g., and there are experts in the Carrara and Poser Technical forums who are quick to answer Mac questions.

DgerzeeBoy ( ) posted Thu, 06 September 2001 at 3:23 PM

Add my MacName to the list...

wolf359 ( ) posted Thu, 06 September 2001 at 3:37 PM

Count me in i would especially like to share my OSX experiences thus far with other MAC users

My website

YouTube Channel

willf ( ) posted Thu, 06 September 2001 at 5:03 PM

I use MACs & will use MACs always. However, I'm hesitant to see the "Community" split for whatever reason. We all come-out ahead as a larger group & most of the shareing is cross-platform. That being said, there are many times that I see posts from new MAC users who don't know "how-to...(whatever)" & some PC person trys to help but dosn't know either. It would be nice to have something designated as "Solutions for MACs" or something that these people can go to in order to get specifif OS help.

weirdass ( ) posted Thu, 06 September 2001 at 5:49 PM

Attached Link: http://www.weirdass.net

Come to think of it, MartinC should be involved in this debate. His macconverter and other softrabbit tools are essential IMHO. Mitch

Atrice ( ) posted Thu, 06 September 2001 at 6:08 PM

Thanks for the support everyone! I agree wholeheartedly with willf, I certainly wasn't trying to start some kind of seperatist movement!

JimX ( ) posted Thu, 06 September 2001 at 6:23 PM

I'm a Mac user (at least as far as Poser is concerned). But I'm kind of with willf on this topic. I'd hate to split the community. Since the advent of MartinC's converter utiltiy, everything works pretty well on both platforms. However, maybe a Mac Technical forum would make sense. That would cover Miss Nancy's idea, too, as it could cover all the popular software. - JimX

swaughvt ( ) posted Thu, 06 September 2001 at 10:24 PM

Attached Link: http://homepage.mac.com/swaughvt

Yes, I like the idea. As a Mac user, I would like a place where I could easily ask other Mac users for advice. Sometimes the answers are "easy" for another person who uses the platform.

Atrice ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2001 at 3:35 AM

Attached Link: http://www.pixels3d.com

I suppose I was thinking mainly about areas where Mac users have to use different apps to windows users. I've read quite a few tutorials suggesting the use of a particular programme, spent an hour or two searching for it only to find it's not available for macs. I then have spend more time finding out if there's a mac equivalent. It took me days to find out that maconverter does the same job as mover! I'm still trying to figure out the best 3d modeller for Macs, ther are very few in the lower price bracket. Addressing queries to mac users would point people in the right direction much more efficiently. Incidently, I've just started playing around with a 3d app called Pixels3dstudio. It looks amazing but very complicated, probably not the best choice for a beginner like me-but its FREE! You really should check it out. I can't find anyone on here who uses it and I'm really struggling! It would be great to get some other minds on the problem. Atrice

Atrice ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2001 at 4:02 AM

Something has just occured to me, this worry about splitting the renderosity community (a concern which I share by the way) is really only based on the fear of inciting this stupid mac/pc hostility that seems to exist. If you ignore that problem, a mac forum doesn't split the community any more than having seperate Bryce and Vue forums. Just a thought. Atrice

wolf359 ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2001 at 4:35 AM
allengraph ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2001 at 4:48 AM

I'm a mac user too...a Mac forum would be great! i don't think it would split the community.It's not like you can't visit other forums.=-) I'd be interested in it for mac only apps. or what ever.

rcook ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2001 at 7:34 AM

Does creating a Mac forum necessitate also creating a PC forum?

Daio ( ) posted Fri, 07 September 2001 at 1:13 PM

I'd like to see a Mac forum, or at least a Mac Tech forum for many of the reasons mentioned above. As a Beta tester for a number of people I've found that with the use of PPP, Yarp's P3DO Explorer and the proliferation of non-standard pose files (ie. MAT, MAP, etc) MacConverter doesn't always convert everything into a working Mac file. No, I don't think that creating a Mac forum would neccisitate creating a PC forum. THe PC users are the majority so rarely are they going to have trouble finding forks in the regular forums who can help them with their problems.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will piss on your computer." -- Bruce Graham

laetia ( ) posted Sat, 08 September 2001 at 9:40 PM

I agree that creating a Mac forum might leave us a little on the side, as if we didn't want to mix (Lord knows that's not my case, lol!). BUT... it could be a very useful forum, a place where you could ask for help - technical or not - and get answers from people using the same computer platform as you are. Might be easier to get a good answer to a question, instead of your question getting lost in a forum where most are PC users and they haven't the slightest idea how to address the problem... (don't get me wrong, I don't want to start a PC/Mac debate here, I'm a Mac && a PC user!!!) In any case, that for sure is a Forum I'd be visiting often!!!

Caroline (laetia)

• MarketPlace Tester, Vendor Support Forum Moderator, and Mac Goddess.

** Je parle français; n'hésitez pas à me contacter si je peux vous être utile!

laetia ( ) posted Sat, 08 September 2001 at 9:47 PM

...another though comes to mind... a Mac forum could be a great place to find Mac users to beta test stuff. A lot of times before I buy something in the Market Place, I have to ask about "PC only" products, to make sure they're not in an .exe file or whatever, and most of the time I get told that it just hasn't been tested on a Mac because the creator has no Mac beta tester, or something of the sort and "can you explain this or that about Macs, please?". That's fine by me, I love answering questions, lol! But in any case, when someone is looking for a Mac user for whatever reason, a Mac forum would be a great place to find... lots of them!! :o)

Caroline (laetia)

• MarketPlace Tester, Vendor Support Forum Moderator, and Mac Goddess.

** Je parle français; n'hésitez pas à me contacter si je peux vous être utile!

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sat, 08 September 2001 at 11:03 PM

just as an aside stuffit 5.5 and later will often extract windows .exe files that were created as self-extracting compressed archives of typical 3D files. I don't see them too often, sometimes at 3dcafe. windows people usually use zips here.

Zaka ( ) posted Sun, 09 September 2001 at 2:57 PM

I can only repeat those who like the idea! I would be there to ask & answer questions :) Zaka

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Mon, 10 September 2001 at 9:56 AM

I think only Stuffit 5.5 deluxe will get the exe's but am not positive ... But a Mac tech might be cool. If I didn't know about MartinC's great things I would been out luck.

lemapp ( ) posted Tue, 11 September 2001 at 1:56 AM

I want to add my vote for a Macintosh area. I've only owned Poser for about 3 weeks and I've quickly discovered how liitle support exists for Mac. Having used Mac since 1985 I know how to overcome many of the obstacles that the Wntel crowd create. I also hate the idea that there are several wonderful free 3d odeling programs for Windows but none for Mac.

Atrice ( ) posted Tue, 11 September 2001 at 2:48 AM

There are at least two free mac modelling programmes out there, Amapi and Pixels3D both have free versions available!

MaterialForge ( ) posted Tue, 25 September 2001 at 3:03 PM

I think it would be very useful. I doubt we'll have to worry about a Mac/PC war here any more than we'd have to worry about a Bryce/Poser war. ;) We're beyond that crap. I use both platforms about equally. A Mac forum would be ideal for technical issues as well, and it would be a no-brainer as to where to post Mac issues. vvvvVVVVVOTE!

wolfetrap ( ) posted Wed, 03 October 2001 at 8:50 PM

A Macforum for technical questions would be a good thing. We're all adults so I don't think a PC Renderosity vs. Mac Renderosity feud would come about. Count me in.

rcook ( ) posted Thu, 18 October 2001 at 9:49 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/messages.ez?ForumID=12404

Thanks for your patience folks. The Macintosh forum is now up. Russell

Atrice ( ) posted Sat, 20 October 2001 at 3:36 PM

Thanks a lot! REALLY appreciate it! Atrice

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.