Mon, Sep 16, 11:47 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 12:14 am)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Cutting Layers

Steeleyes101 ( ) posted Wed, 19 September 2012 at 4:30 PM · edited Sat, 14 September 2024 at 3:35 AM

file_486649.jpg

Hey all, me again and hopeing the first part of this week was good and the second even better.

I’m not even sure how to ask this question in a way that you guys would understand; this is do to my lack of expertise with PhotoShop.

I want to cut a portion or portions of a layer so that I can use it as part of a logo for my next attempt at creating a magazine cover.

In the attached you will see a magazine cover with a logo that I have circled in yellow.

What I want to do is take a layer in PhotoShop and cut a wedge out of the bottom part as shown.  Can someone please tell me how to do this?

Thanks much

Steel

archdruid ( ) posted Wed, 19 September 2012 at 6:10 PM · edited Wed, 19 September 2012 at 6:11 PM

Initially, I would simply open the one with the logo.. then open a "new project" with a canvas size that would accommodate the logo .. with a bit extra.. then, I would go back to the cover, use the Marquee tool and use it to select the area I wanted.. then, while selected, I would Edit >Copy it.. going back to the blank, I would, then Edit>Paste it into it..... conversely, you COULD just use alt with click drag to move/copy to the "new" ... just make sure that you are within the selected area when you click. That will get you the logo to work with... to clean up, it would be best to zoom in.. since the sides and top are basically, straight lines, you can just use the Marquee tool and Edit>clear the areas you want out.. If you need more info.. be sure to post here again. Lou.

"..... and that was when things got interestiing."

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Wed, 19 September 2012 at 6:46 PM

I'd draw the shape required with the freehand selection tool, save that selection, go to the layer you want to cut the inverted v shape out of (like the logo) load the selection while on that layer, ctrl + C then ctrl + V to get the selection of that layer into a new layer, hide the original layer and save the image - (with just the selected and pasted layer showing) as a new .PNG image (to preserve the transparency of the non-selected areas) and then you can paste that .png image to where you want it on the magazine cover.

(I'd start the selection as archdruid mentioned - with the rectangular selection tool and add the inverted V shape to that selection with the freehand selection tool.)

Measure your mind's height
by the shade it casts.

Robert Browning (Paracelsus)

Fran's Freestuff

http://franontheedge.blogspot.com/

http://www.FranOnTheEdge.com

mgtcs ( ) posted Wed, 19 September 2012 at 8:58 PM

Hi Elliot

The guys above seem to have just about covered it. Let us know if you managed it.

Monica 

happinesspost ( ) posted Thu, 20 September 2012 at 8:28 PM

your idea is very good .i think it will be a beautiful and attractive cover .and their suggests are so helpful .keep on doing ...

Happy life can't apply colors to a drawing of the render farm

karl.garnham1 ( ) posted Mon, 08 October 2012 at 2:05 PM

There is another way to do it thats similar but may be a bit simpler first make a new layer and get the brush tool on the new layer paint over the image you want cut with a white colour then get the magic wand click on the new layer you made and then go to the background layer and then go to edit cut or copy and past it on either a new document or where you want it moved it works for me all the time and is the easiest way to do so in my opinion.

Karl 

Steeleyes101 ( ) posted Mon, 08 October 2012 at 2:07 PM

Thanks much Karl will try as you suggest

karl.garnham1 ( ) posted Wed, 10 October 2012 at 1:38 PM

No Problem glad to be of help. 

Karl

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.