Wed, Oct 2, 9:39 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 02 9:25 am)

Subject: SSS for dark skin? Olivia, Kelvin

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Mon, 17 December 2012 at 1:39 PM · edited Sat, 03 August 2024 at 3:28 AM

or has anyone tried that ez skin on Olivia or Kelvin?

haz render drops? 

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Mon, 17 December 2012 at 1:51 PM

i need more core power to render idl.  more cores! 

fractal core power @ 128-bits of improbability!

why does it precalc with red dots?  why doesn't it calculate as it renders?

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

Sa_raneth ( ) posted Mon, 17 December 2012 at 2:48 PM

that is the way  it does things  red  dots to precalculate  as to why it dont render at the same  time  i aint got a  clue

mysticeagle ( ) posted Mon, 17 December 2012 at 2:49 PM

is that the indirect light calculation it is doing?, does it to me everytime

OS: Windows7 64-bit Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)  6GB Ram
Poser: Poser Pro 2012 SR3.1 ...Poser 8.........Poser5 on a bad day........
Daz Studio Pro 4.5  64bit

Carrara beta 8.5

Modelling: Silo/Hexagon/Groboto V3
Image Editing: PSP V9/Irfanview
Movie Editing. Cyberlink power director/Windows live movie maker

"I live in an unfinished , poorly lit box, but we call it home"

My freestuff   

link via my artist page

Sa_raneth ( ) posted Mon, 17 December 2012 at 2:52 PM

yea  its IDL

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 17 December 2012 at 5:14 PM

Depending on your Irradiance cache, you will either see more or less precalc dots.  Not only have I seen it on Olivia and Kevin, I have seen it on V4, M4 and background props.

lmckenzie ( ) posted Mon, 17 December 2012 at 9:08 PM

One of the best explanations I've seen of what many render engines refer to as Global Illumination. AFAIK, IDL is pretty much the same concept. Hover your moust pointer over the Point Distribution label to see the interaction between the settings  vs. render quality and time. Its for Cinema 4D but I think the concepts apply. 

http://planetpixelemporium.com/tutorialpages/global.html

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance." - H. L. Mencken

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 17 December 2012 at 9:50 PM

one of the authors of FFRender explained that poser uses GI, which includes all forms of illumination, e.g. direct, indirect et al.. there was confusion about this at the time, some believing that GI was synonymous with IBL/AO, a first-order approx. of GI.

GIVariables were introduced in poser 7, at which time there were only 4, but now there are 7.

icandy265 ( ) posted Mon, 17 December 2012 at 11:24 PM

I don't know anything about why it uses red dots or how it works, but I did render S4 Regina (from DAZ) with EZskin applied... this is what it looks like (that's real reflection in her eyes also not a ref map):

DrkTnLts_View-01, S4Regina with DrkTnLts_01.

NanetteTredoux ( ) posted Tue, 18 December 2012 at 12:13 AM

I find that skins come out a little lighter if I use SSS on dark skins. I use EZskin all the time though, on all characters that will be rendered in close-up. I don't use it on background characters. Some dark-skinned characters have a blueish shade in the diffuse node and that tends to create an unpleasant greyish tinge. I sometimes find I need to tweak that. "Ashen skin" is considered very unattractive by my dark-skinned colleagues.

Poser 11 Pro, Windows 10

Auxiliary Apps: Blender 2.79, Vue Complete 2016, Genetica 4 Pro, Gliftex 11 Pro, CorelDraw Suite X6, Comic Life 2, Project Dogwaffle Howler 8, Stitch Witch

richardson ( ) posted Tue, 18 December 2012 at 8:13 AM

Try lowering IDL quality to 8 for draft renders.  No need to wait. D3D settings have more control. Save a low and hi setting to library so you can get what you want...fast or slo mo

I find I can turn  SSS off when using most dark skins. SSS really works best on pale redheads in a dark room with direct sunlight streaming in. mho.. 

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.