Mon, Sep 23, 3:28 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 22 10:18 pm)

Subject: PP2 & DAE files

JIMMYJOHN ( ) posted Tue, 08 January 2013 at 2:19 PM · edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 1:29 AM

Hello!

• Why doesnt PP2010 open PP2 files and how can you get them in Poser?

• How can DAE files be converted to OBJ or 3DS files?

Thanks

markschum ( ) posted Tue, 08 January 2013 at 3:51 PM

find the poser runtime/libraries/props and put your pp2 file in any prop folder. Then it should load from the library. In PP2010 there may be an option to refresh the library. I only have Poser 7.

JIMMYJOHN ( ) posted Tue, 08 January 2013 at 4:13 PM

I don't know how ti refresh the library either.

I forgot to day that most PP2 work fine, the ones that dont I got from freebies.

Pitty because i'd realyy like to use those items.

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 08 January 2013 at 4:24 PM

Library, to the right of the folders, spinning arrow.

JIMMYJOHN ( ) posted Tue, 08 January 2013 at 5:00 PM

Quote - Library, to the right of the folders, spinning arrow.

Laconic, to say the least, but super efficient, it did work.

Thank you very much indeed, Sir.

Now, any chance you have a trick to convert DAE to OBJ or 3DS?

I've tried Meshlab and Blender but to no avail.

Medzinatar ( ) posted Tue, 08 January 2013 at 8:07 PM

PP2010 or above imports Collada (DAE)

You can export it back out as OBJ or if under 64k face, then 3DS

JIMMYJOHN ( ) posted Wed, 09 January 2013 at 9:39 AM

Thanks. Yes, it does indeed import collada files, but sometimes nothing happens, while at other times, a prop called sketchup is present but not visible in Poser.

Medzinatar ( ) posted Wed, 09 January 2013 at 10:34 AM

IMHO, if you are getting sketchup model exports, you are just asking for the troubles.

However, in visibility, it may be that model is actually so big that it is beyond camera range.

When object is selected, press "Frame Selected Object" icon on document window and see if it suddenly becomes visible.

JIMMYJOHN ( ) posted Wed, 09 January 2013 at 11:16 AM

You were right, I had to rescale the objects. It even works for sketchup props. Great!

But I now find myself in another hardship, POSER is really difficult for beginners:

the textures look fine, but once rendered, they go awkward. 

Funny triangles and weird blurred lines appear. What the hell is happening here?

I think I need a lecture on mapping and texturing because I can't seem to find the answers in the manual.

BTW: thanks a lot for the time and patience you put in helping, I'd be stuck without your guidance.

JIMMYJOHN ( ) posted Wed, 09 January 2013 at 11:31 AM

Another weird thing: some objects imported as DAE didn't show up because their textures were set up at 100% transparency...

Medzinatar ( ) posted Wed, 09 January 2013 at 12:04 PM

Quote - Another weird thing: some objects imported as DAE didn't show up because their textures were set up at 100% transparency...

As saying before, those type models is asking for trouble.

There is no quality control on submissions, anybody can put up anything they want.

While some may be excellent modelers, my friend describes most of them as people who have recently fallen off the turnip truck.

JIMMYJOHN ( ) posted Wed, 09 January 2013 at 12:29 PM

Quote - people who have recently fallen off the turnip truck.

Funny expression, never heard it before.

Later on, I'll post a question with pics to see if someone can come up with solutions to at least improve things a bit.

Thanks once again.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.