Thu, Oct 10, 2:21 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 09 12:13 pm)

Subject: Cel Style Rendering? (Jet Grind Radio Style)

Fracture ( ) posted Wed, 12 September 2001 at 2:53 PM · edited Thu, 10 October 2024 at 2:20 AM

Ok If anyone here is farmilliar with a game called Jet Drind radio I'm trying to find out if it is possible to render characters in poser like they are rendered in teh game. The comic view is kind of simmilar but not completely. Anyone have any Ideas on how this could be done?

Fracture ( ) posted Wed, 12 September 2001 at 3:01 PM

I meant Jet Grind Radio. My spelling sucks today.

Cin- ( ) posted Wed, 12 September 2001 at 4:45 PM

I'm not familiar with the game at all... could you do a screen cap and post it so that those of us who don't know the game can see?

Fracture ( ) posted Thu, 13 September 2001 at 8:15 AM

Ok here are some screen-shots. You can see more at the bottom of this page: http://dreamcast.ign.com/reviews/13512.html http://dcmedia.ign.com/media/previews/image/jetset/bg49.jpg http://dcmedia.ign.com/media/previews/image/jetset/bg37.jpg http://dcmedia.ign.com/media/previews/image/jetset/bg17.jpg http://dcmedia.ign.com/media/previews/image/jetset/bg19.jpg

praxis22 ( ) posted Thu, 13 September 2001 at 1:47 PM

Ah, that would explain it... In the rest of the world, (outside of America :) the call it "Jet Set Radio" truly a cool game, though fiendishly difficult. later jb

Fracture ( ) posted Thu, 13 September 2001 at 3:13 PM

Ok so is it possible to render poser to look simmilar?

Cin- ( ) posted Thu, 13 September 2001 at 5:52 PM

Well.. you can do similar... but you might have to do it in stages... you can change your view to cartoon with outlines, I'm not sure if you can do a cartoon style "render" but you can anti-alias the document so that it has a nicer edge... but the background isn't exactly the same "style" and that looks more like you'd have to have props that look like that to render that way... you'd have to make the background and then put the figures in front of it, and I'm not sure if the cartoon style view will show a background image... I'd have better explanations and could even show you an example if I were at home, but I'm at work right now... I'll see if I can't put something together tonight when I get home, it depends on how much time I have... I hope this was at least a little helpful though.

Cin- ( ) posted Thu, 13 September 2001 at 8:02 PM

file_209443.jpg

I made an image by anti aliasing the "cartoon with outline" view type... now the downside of this is that you can't apply texture maps, or at least if you can, I don't know how. But this isn't TOO far off from what I saw in the pictures you sent links to... hope that helps.

Cin- ( ) posted Thu, 13 September 2001 at 8:15 PM

file_209445.jpg

oh, I should mention that I didn't use the best quality .jpg export, so the graininess of the image is due to file compression, it looks a lot better without compression... this one shows it with better compression.

Fracture ( ) posted Fri, 14 September 2001 at 8:17 AM

Cool, actually I messed around with the cartoon views before but didn't like what I saw but it looks alot better anti-aliased, I didn't even think of that. The backgrounds will be alot tougher as the couple I have look real bad when in cartoon view. I'll need to figure something out for those parts.

Cin- ( ) posted Fri, 14 September 2001 at 9:25 AM

Mess around with your lighting in the cartoon view too, it'll create better shading on the figure, I just left my default lighting setup for those pics, but you can get some really intersting effect if you fiddle around enough.

Fracture ( ) posted Fri, 14 September 2001 at 9:28 AM

I will check this out this weekend. I just wish I could now get good looking backgrounds. I want to do a comic book of sorts but the backgrounds (IE: Insides of spaceships) are the pain to get ahold of.

Cin- ( ) posted Fri, 14 September 2001 at 9:37 AM

Try at the Propsguild. It's been a while since I've looked, but I remember there being a few sci-fi-ish hallway, and wall parts.. it could be a good start anyway.

Fracture ( ) posted Fri, 14 September 2001 at 9:42 AM

Yeah I'll have to wait till next month to go there. You need to subscribe I believe.

Cin- ( ) posted Fri, 14 September 2001 at 11:10 AM

Nope... they have a link to the Poserworld subscription stuff at the top of the page, but the propsguild models are still free. You just have to scroll down a little bit to where it says "(4/27/01) PropsGuild Downloads are back!" then click the link below that.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.