Sun, Oct 6, 5:27 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Semi OT: Out of the game

SamTherapy ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2013 at 3:56 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 5:21 AM

Hope everyone is well and had a good Christmas or the nearest equivalent thereof.

I've been really sick for quite a while and I'm not out of the woods yet.  A lot more testing, prodding and so forth to go through.  If that wasn't enough, I had a bout of pneumonia - always a barrel of laughs - and to put the tin hat on it all, my graphics box rolled over and died.  Totally, absolutely dead, disks trashed (I tried 'em in me other box), motherboard totalled and everything.

So, I'm now effectively a non participant in this here 3D malarkey - the box I'm using for t'internet is even slower and crappier than my late lamented graphics machine - until I can get the wherewithal to buy a replacement.

Ain't life grand?  

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Willber ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2013 at 4:02 PM

Hang in there Sam, good upper lip and all....

Will be thinking about you.

hornet3d ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2013 at 4:22 PM · edited Fri, 11 January 2013 at 4:22 PM

Well that is a desperate end to 2012 and start to 2013.  I hope things improve for you particularly on the health front.  I can empathise, to a degree, as 2012 was not a good year health wise for me, but at least I had my 3D stuff to keep me occupied.  You seemed to have all of my 2012 bad luck and a lot more dropped on you all at once.

I hope your fortune changes soon and you have a great PC to play while being in the best of health.  Fingers crossed and I will be thinking of you also.

Please keep us up to date as you can or your Internet connection will allow.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

Glitterati3D ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2013 at 4:42 PM

I have an ASUS quad core motherboard in a case sitting around that you are welcome to. It was my deceased husband's computer. I've cannibalized the hard drive and memory to my computer, but they're pretty cheap right now. Just let me know a shipping address and I'll box it up and send it to you.

Acadia ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2013 at 5:12 PM

I hope you feel better soon Paul! I've been wondering where you've been. Though I haven't been around much myself either.  I was without a computer for a bit, and now that I have a new one, something went wonky and I lost all of the data on my external hard drives, even though the drives still work, it was like they have both been completely reformated. Tried several programs to recover data, but there is nothing there to recover. So I'm out of Poser. I lost all of my content and runtimes and it's just too much effort to download everything again and reinstall runtimes.

My old computer has the following parts that are still good:

2 gigs memory
Fan
A motherboard of some kind
A power supply unit
DVD burner

If you are interested I can look up what they actually are and if you are interested, and the bits fit into Glitterati's Motherboard and case, I can ship them across the pond to you :)

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

monkeycloud ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2013 at 5:30 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

Bugger :(

I'm more than sorry to hear that Paul...

...I'd been wondering where you'd got to and how you were doing.

I hope your health picks up soon, first and foremost, of course.

Right now, I can likely supply you a hard drive or two, depending exactly what you needed there, and whatever memory would be compatible with Glitterati3D's cased CPU and motherboard, if her offer is an option for you. Let me know...

Glitterati3D ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2013 at 6:23 PM

Quote - Bugger :(

I'm more than sorry to hear that Paul...

...I'd been wondering where you'd got to and how you were doing.

I hope your health picks up soon, first and foremost, of course.

Right now, I can likely supply you a hard drive or two, depending exactly what you needed there, and whatever memory would be compatible with Glitterati3D's cased CPU and motherboard, if her offer is an option for you. Let me know...

I'll pull out the receipt for the MB and scan it so we all know what will fit/not fit. It will probably be late tomorrow, though. I have a class I have to attend tomorrow.

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2013 at 6:28 PM

Good to hear from you again.  Like Acadia, I too wondered where you went.  Get back to good health, you have a beautiful family to take care of.

shedofjoy ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2013 at 6:48 PM

i wish you well, & hope all goes good for you.

Getting old and still making "art" without soiling myself, now that's success.

basicwiz ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2013 at 7:15 PM

Best wishes, especially on the health front. If you'll tell me what kind of memory Glitter's MB uses, I probably have several gigs lying around. Will be happy to send it to you.

Eric Walters ( ) posted Fri, 11 January 2013 at 8:21 PM

Sorry to read that! I am wishing you the best. The board has not been the same without your humor (humour in your case!)

Eric

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 12 January 2013 at 1:32 PM

Thanks, everyone.  The offer of the PC is lovely and I really appreciate it.  Thing is, I live in the UK, so shipping could be prohibitively expensive.  I'll PM you my address in any case and you can always stop by if you're in the area.  :)

As for my health, well, the good news is I don't have prostate cancer; the bad news is, nobody yet knows what's wrong so they're going to cut holes in me to take a look around.  :)  

My Store

My Gallery

Eric Walters ( ) posted Sat, 12 January 2013 at 2:01 PM

Glad for the good news-I hope they figure it out- and find a way to help you recover!

Quote - Thanks, everyone.  The offer of the PC is lovely and I really appreciate it.  Thing is, I live in the UK, so shipping could be prohibitively expensive.  I'll PM you my address in any case and you can always stop by if you're in the area.  :)

As for my health, well, the good news is I don't have prostate cancer; the bad news is, nobody yet knows what's wrong so they're going to cut holes in me to take a look around.  :)  

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sat, 12 January 2013 at 3:16 PM

sam, you have our sympathy.  I hope things will improve for you.

skee ( ) posted Sat, 12 January 2013 at 11:13 PM

How much in US dollars would it take to get you up and running again?

What all do you need?

skee.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large
number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

estherau ( ) posted Sun, 13 January 2013 at 12:13 AM
Online Now!

Hope your surgery goes well. When u do get ba k I to 3d at least your runtimes will be well organized. 

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

Kendra ( ) posted Sun, 13 January 2013 at 1:03 AM

I hope they find out soon for you. Uncertainty can be very stressful. Best of luck with your surgery, we'll be thinking of you.

...... Kendra

Suucat ( ) posted Sun, 13 January 2013 at 4:03 AM

Hope everything goes well with you.

Who finds a friend finds a treasure!

jerr3d ( ) posted Sun, 13 January 2013 at 4:43 AM

Dude! I was wondering what happened to you. Hope you get better real soon! ^ ^

mysticeagle ( ) posted Sun, 13 January 2013 at 8:47 AM

Take care cousin, I think 2013 has started better for some than for others, been there with the health stuff, hell i live it lol, hope you do what the Doc says and get better soon  best wishes me an the mrs

OS: Windows7 64-bit Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)  6GB Ram
Poser: Poser Pro 2012 SR3.1 ...Poser 8.........Poser5 on a bad day........
Daz Studio Pro 4.5  64bit

Carrara beta 8.5

Modelling: Silo/Hexagon/Groboto V3
Image Editing: PSP V9/Irfanview
Movie Editing. Cyberlink power director/Windows live movie maker

"I live in an unfinished , poorly lit box, but we call it home"

My freestuff   

link via my artist page

Glitterati3D ( ) posted Sun, 13 January 2013 at 6:41 PM · edited Sun, 13 January 2013 at 6:43 PM

Well, I have looked everywhere for the documentation, and can't find it.  In the morning, I will crack open the case and start writing down pertinent information.  As I said, it was my late husband's, so he must have put the documentation in a file somewhere that I've packed away.

I really don't think shipping will be prohibitive as it weighs practically nothing.  And, since I'm buying a home, it's time to clear out stuff I don't need to move anyway, so you'll be doing me a favor taking it off my hands into someone's who will put it to good use.

I still have a hard time parting with his things, and know it will be useful for someone will make that easier.

Glitterati3D ( ) posted Sun, 13 January 2013 at 7:44 PM

The links below are directly from his order, placed 3/26/2010

Case:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3250925

MB:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4433878

Processor:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5619520

grichter ( ) posted Sun, 13 January 2013 at 8:56 PM

Dude you and your computer get well asap. Miss your witt and wisdom. Thoughts are with you and the family for a speedy recovery on both fronts.

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 13 January 2013 at 9:19 PM

Thank you all for your kind words and offers of help.

@ Skee - I don't know and besides, I wouldn't contemplate asking anyone for money.  I don't object to people giving bits of PC kit they don't need but other than that, well I'd consider it to be very impolite (at best) for me to go a-begging.  :)  I do appreciate the kindness, though.  

My Store

My Gallery

skee ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2013 at 8:58 AM

OK, I understand you not asking for money.... I just want to know what you would need and the cost of it. I would like to help. If the cost of shipping a computer to you would not  work, maybe if it was purchsed there for you that would work. what would you need?

I have plenty of computers that I have repaired what do you need.

Do you still have all your programs?  windows?

skee.

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large
number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Glitterati3D ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2013 at 9:13 AM

I just checked online and the shipping isn't bad at all:

Priority Mail® International Expected Delivery6 - 10 business days Post Office Price$48.75 Online Price$46.31

Ragtopjohnny ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2013 at 11:41 AM

Sorry to her Sam, keep your chin up, and hope you feel better soon.  That sucks when those things happen, especially all at once! :sad:

Poser Pro 2012/3DS Max 2013/Adobe Photoshop Elements 10/Zbrush/

PC: HP Z820 Workstation, 3.30 ghz 8 core Intel Processor, 2gig nvidia Quadro, 16 gig of Ram and 2TB Hard Drive.

Winterclaw ( ) posted Mon, 14 January 2013 at 12:08 PM

Sorry to hear about the mystery illness.  Hopefully it's something easy to deal with.  But it not being cancer is a good thing; cancer is pretty rough, the treatments can be rougher.

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

(using Poser Pro 2014 SR3, on 64 bit Win 7, poser units are inches.)

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 17 January 2013 at 3:10 PM

Again, thanks one and all for your kindness and concern.  I'll keep you posted as and when I know more.  Right now I'm trying to take things easy and get plenty of sleep.  Needless to say, it ain't happening, due to the two small noisy people.  :)

As for what I'd need to get a functional PC, the way I read things, I'll need a graphics card of some description.  Acadia says she has a Power Supply but I don't know if it's suitable, since the electric supply here is totally different from Canada/USA.  We use 240v @ 50hz, you guys, I believe, use 120 @ 60hz.

I may be able to get those things here for not too much money; I just don't know at present.

My Store

My Gallery

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Thu, 17 January 2013 at 3:20 PM

you can switch the PSU over.

got a brand new ATI HD 6450 Silent 1GB DDR3 here for ya. I got it for a replacement for my old Ge9600, but we did'nt work out.. only used it a coupla days.

PM me an addy and I'll get it in the post to ya.

LaurieA ( ) posted Thu, 17 January 2013 at 3:25 PM

I don't have any spare parts atm, but I'll send along lots of good thoughts ;). As to those offering pc parts....ur wonderful :).

Laurie

Glitterati3D ( ) posted Thu, 17 January 2013 at 3:43 PM

Quote - Again, thanks one and all for your kindness and concern.  I'll keep you posted as and when I know more.  Right now I'm trying to take things easy and get plenty of sleep.  Needless to say, it ain't happening, due to the two small noisy people.  :)

As for what I'd need to get a functional PC, the way I read things, I'll need a graphics card of some description.  Acadia says she has a Power Supply but I don't know if it's suitable, since the electric supply here is totally different from Canada/USA.  We use 240v @ 50hz, you guys, I believe, use 120 @ 60hz.

I may be able to get those things here for not too much money; I just don't know at present.

The case actually comes with a 450 watt power supply.  Of course, I have no idea how that might work in the UK.

I'll ship this off early next week - been busy with my house closing - so shipping Monday or Tuesday.  We've been forecast some snow today, and I'm not getting on the road with these idiots!  All they have to do is say the S word and they freak out!

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Thu, 17 January 2013 at 3:46 PM

the PSU should have a voltage switch on the back. just flick it over to run 120 or 240.

I did with my machine moving from canada to the UK.

monkeycloud ( ) posted Thu, 17 January 2013 at 3:50 PM · edited Thu, 17 January 2013 at 3:51 PM

I've got memory and a hard drive, I believe... compatible with Glitterati3D's case / motherboard and cpu.

SATA disk I believe from the spec, as far as I can see... and 800 MHZ DDR2 240 pin RAM. Looks like 4 GB limit on the motherboard. I should be able to max that out for you no problem.

I'll dig it all out and post it to you too.

I should have a compatible PSU kicking about if needs be too.

However looking at the spec of the case she linked to, there is a voltage switch on the back of the PSU, so you should be grand there. (edit: cross-post there)

Hope having a system to escape on a bit helps :)

But yeah get some R&R... maybe all you can do till you know more.

I'm worn out with just one of those radgy wee folk (number two is still in the post) and I'm in pretty good health at present!

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 17 January 2013 at 4:31 PM

Thanks, folks.  I wasn't sure if it'd have switchable voltage.  My defunct box did, the internet one don't.

Installing everything should be a long, tedious process.  Fortunately I have backups of software and content, or I'm able to re d/l 'em if need be.  There's bound to be one or two losses along the way but it's better than never having any of it back.

As for the small people, Ilona will be 2 in a few weeks.  Both of 'em are noisy and shouty and generally really good at finding things they shouldn't do but doing them anyhow.  

My Store

My Gallery

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 19 January 2013 at 12:27 PM

One thing just occurred to me...

Is the machine 32 bit?  If so, I'll have to see if I can find my XP disc.  Otherwise, advice on a new OS would be welcome.  I'll want some version of Windows, but which one?  

My Store

My Gallery

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 19 January 2013 at 12:53 PM · edited Sat, 19 January 2013 at 12:56 PM

Get Windows 7 64 bit...you'll never regret it. LOL The home version should be fine ;). It's the best version of Windows ever. Heh. Ya can probably pick it up on Amazon or something for cheap ;).

Laurie

Glitterati3D ( ) posted Sat, 19 January 2013 at 1:43 PM

Quote - One thing just occurred to me...

Is the machine 32 bit?  If so, I'll have to see if I can find my XP disc.  Otherwise, advice on a new OS would be welcome.  I'll want some version of Windows, but which one?  

The processor is 64bit.

LaurieA ( ) posted Sat, 19 January 2013 at 1:45 PM

Quote - The processor is 64bit.

That makes the choice easy. LOL

Laurie

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Sat, 19 January 2013 at 2:02 PM

yes... C/PM

wait. what?

Shadowdancer ( ) posted Sat, 19 January 2013 at 4:36 PM

and edlin for word-processing.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 19 January 2013 at 6:01 PM

Thanks, all!  As you say, Laurie, the choice is simple.

My Store

My Gallery

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 20 January 2013 at 11:39 AM

Well, I've been having a quick look around and I can get W7 Pro for about £80.00  Is that a good deal?  And would I be better off with it, as opposed to Home Premium?  The difference is only about 10 quid.

My Store

My Gallery

LaurieA ( ) posted Sun, 20 January 2013 at 11:44 AM · edited Sun, 20 January 2013 at 11:46 AM

Comparrison chart here :) Likely not any differences you'd care about ;). I'd go for Home.

Laurie

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 20 January 2013 at 12:12 PM

Right you are, Laurie.  Thanks!  :)

My Store

My Gallery

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Sun, 20 January 2013 at 12:12 PM

other than the ram limit, everything you can get in pro, you can duplicate in home with shareware / freeware anyway... often done quite a bit better as well.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 20 January 2013 at 1:58 PM · edited Sun, 20 January 2013 at 1:59 PM

Good to know.  Thanks, mate.

Really, all I want it to do is run Poser, Wings and a few other graphics things.  It'll be nice to have a render with BB's stuff finish in less than 18 hours. :D

And, when the time comes, I will be asking for advice on suitable shaders for me Daleks.  For just about every damn thing, in fact.  Oh, and lighting.  And everything else. :D  

My Store

My Gallery

monkeycloud ( ) posted Sun, 20 January 2013 at 2:22 PM · edited Sun, 20 January 2013 at 2:28 PM

Yeah, as already suggested, Home Premium should do you fine, I would think...

You'd only really need pro if you're requiring to hook it up to a Windows domain, on a business network, and that sort of thing.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/software/operating-systems/windows-7-home-premium-642684/review

EDIT... hmmm, posted a link to Amazon, then realised it was for an OEM licensed copy...

I guess you'd qualify for an upgrade version though?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Windows-Premium-Upgrade-Vista/dp/B002DGS81C/ref=sr_1_1?s=software&ie=UTF8&qid=1358713576&sr=1-1

monkeycloud ( ) posted Sun, 20 January 2013 at 2:32 PM

Regarding installing the upgrade version...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/174710/microsoft_says_windows_7_install_workaround_is_legal.html

Because you're arguably building a new system, you'd possibly qualify for the cheaper OEM license too.

However the downside of that is you can't then legally move the license to another PC.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 20 January 2013 at 3:51 PM

Thanks for the links, Chris.  I've seen the full version cheaper elsewhere, though.

Oh, btw, I won at the Tribunal.  Forgot to let you know.  :)  

My Store

My Gallery

monkeycloud ( ) posted Sun, 20 January 2013 at 4:14 PM

Quote - Thanks for the links, Chris.  I've seen the full version cheaper elsewhere, though.

Oh, btw, I won at the Tribunal.  Forgot to let you know.  :)  

Nice one... glad to hear you prevailed there ;-)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.