Mon, Sep 16, 11:50 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 5:10 am)

Subject: Why I protect my images

Ilona-Krijgsman ( ) posted Fri, 18 January 2013 at 3:50 AM · edited Sat, 27 July 2024 at 4:59 PM

Attached Link: http://www.theage.com.au/technology/technology-news/were-being-screwed-photographers-and-designers-vent-over-stolen-images-20130118-2cx6x.html

Hi everybody

I just want to share an important link. I also found my own picture at a souvenir shop where they sold it without my permission and make money of it.
They printed it with my small logo in it.

I asked him how he got the picture and then he said that he took it from my website.
I forbid him to sell my picture with the lions in the future and that he must take out all printed postcards !
I gave him a warning when I see it again I would sue him.
That's why I use a big copyright logo through my pictures to protect my work.

P.S.
I am not posting here anymore but I think it is good to know to be very careful

~ Photos are small paintings created in your mind before you press the shutter! ~

helanker ( ) posted Fri, 18 January 2013 at 5:24 AM

WOW! That is wild !

MrsLubner ( ) posted Fri, 18 January 2013 at 6:38 PM

Great article and a subject that will never fully be resolved. As an artist, all a photographer can do is take every precaution with copyrights and watermarks, and patrol the Internet.  TinEye is an excellent on-line,web search program and one every digital photographer should use. Also know the steps you can take to stop unlawful use by a preditor - there is a certain procedure that is recognized by the law and will make it easier for you to defend your property.

Thanks for the reminder, Ilona.

Flannel Knight's Photos
MrsLubner
Forum Moderator
                                          Robert Brault

blinkings ( ) posted Sun, 20 January 2013 at 5:11 AM

Yeah it's happened to me before too. The trouble with copyright watermarks and the like is that companies know that the average photographer is bluffing, and the watermarks themselves can be removed in a matter of seconds. Most people won't bother or can't afford to hire a lawyer to take on a big company over a photo.......how many of us are really willing to pay thousands in legal fees for an unknown outcome.......no matter how 'huffy' we get?

MrsLubner ( ) posted Sun, 20 January 2013 at 11:28 AM

I know someone who did. The case, as many are, ended up being settled out of court for a tidy sum. People play on that thought - that people won't make a fuss over something that costs money to start, but that's why we artists keep losing our art.

Flannel Knight's Photos
MrsLubner
Forum Moderator
                                          Robert Brault

vincewicks ( ) posted Fri, 25 January 2013 at 8:19 AM

What about situation, when your photo someone downloads from photo stock and share It on a big resource for free?

Ilona-Krijgsman ( ) posted Fri, 25 January 2013 at 11:23 AM

vincewicks

Even though they are copyrighted it is always a big risk.

Pictures in stock....In that case you have already allowed that they can use it for advertising purposes etc etc. It depends what format the customer chooses.....and for what they need it.
There's also a price difference..use for web, or prints, or what else.

It is sad if you would find out if they post it for free afterwards....I found my work on other photo websites as well....

It will never change people are criminals on the Internet....

I have several pictures sold on stock but not with all licensees.
You can sell your pictures there in several ways.
Even though they are copyrighted it is always a big risk.

I protect my pictures on my website now with a big logo through it.
One is visible the other invisible....and in a low resolution.

I have seen my own sold pictures on billboards advertising for their Zoo, and that's really cool....

Ilona

~ Photos are small paintings created in your mind before you press the shutter! ~

sharky_ ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2013 at 2:05 PM

Attached Link: http://www.ranum.com/fun/weirdness/donegan.html

Remember when Marcus Ranum had his pictures stolen by Euan Donegan?  An interesting story on copyright violations.   A number of pictures were stolen from other renderosity members too.  But like you said, copyright logo's are a big risk and not enough.  Your pictures still can get stolen and you won't know about it unless its found.   See Marcus Story on the attached link..   Aloha....Errol

Ilona-Krijgsman ( ) posted Thu, 14 February 2013 at 3:00 PM

Errol aka Sharky

I have read all, what a story. It is real sad that people do this. I can remember that a lot images are stolen from RR from my gallery....posted on a russian website....when I browsed there and saw a lot of my work I was totaly in shock.....I got some friends in my list that added most of my images in their favo list and I didn't trust that...I am just wondering why they do that......I complained to the staff at renderosity as well......but nobody did someting on it......thanks for sharing this very important link Errol......now they can't steal work from me anymore here at RR because my gallery is empty....and I don't sell anymore images on stock........I post on my own website but low resolution and a logo through it

AZBO ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2013 at 12:09 PM

I was just sitting here reading this "AGAIN" and i thought that i would give it a try.

I opened Tineye in a seperate browser window and dragged an image which has just been posted here on RR into it.

I recognised one of the character's within the image from a long time ago.

Needless to say Tineye did indeed pick up on the character-Exact same image adjusted by pasting another on top to create two character's.

So it would appear that even here on RR copyright materials are being used.

Old in the head-New to learning.

ger-krijgsman ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2013 at 12:53 PM · edited Fri, 15 February 2013 at 12:55 PM

AZBO : I made a checkup as well

For example I tried an image from Danob his sad clown the most viewed image.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=348386&username=danob&page=52&member&np

And guess 364 match
Just look at how many people use it and change it for something else

here the ceck up

http://www.tineye.com/search/89844b7632faf722307fcbc18512b6a7ef06da7e/

AZBO ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2013 at 1:10 PM

What a great image that is-No wonder it is being stolen?

Fun aside It does appear to be a "BIG" problem.

I don't suppose it bother's us unless it happen's to us personally.

I think that people should wake up before it does happen to them and try to do something to protect their property.

The only real answer is to post small image's-watermarked.

Not by a programme but layered and then saved as a jpeg.

Even place a watermark over an area that would be very difficult to clone.

No magic answer's i'm afraid.

Thank you

bclaytonphoto ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2013 at 2:16 PM

the other "wrinkle" is....as an artist..it is OUR responibility to pursue copyright infringement, not sites such as Renderosity.

Places like "Russian wallpaper" sites don't care..and good luck getting any Government agency to assist you.

Today in the USA we can use the DMCA to go after the ISP..

http://asmp.org/tutorials/enforcing-your-rights.html

On the flipside....to make sure you are not getting in to trouble with your own work..

http://www.wipo.int/sme/en/documents/ip_photography.htm

www.bclaytonphoto.com

bclaytonphoto on Facebook

AZBO ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2013 at 5:47 PM

file_491656.jpg

After reading many many page's on this subject there really is no real protection available.

It is possible to enlarge image's and remove watermark's easily in most instances.

I have played around with a picture of a seagull ( who would have guessed?)

I inserted the name AZBO across the feather's/wing's area.

I attempted to remove the watermark using clone.

But although i could remove the mark i had to do it a small piece at a time and then the result was actually rubbish because it was difficult to find an area to replace the watermark with.

It was not like cutting out a bit of sky and simply replacing it.

Use a watermark and place it on an area where you know that it will be difficult to clone-even on hair would work.

You don't want to spoil your image so fade the watermark until it is just visible under the naked eye using a blending colour.

The more detail beneath the watermark the better.

sharky_ ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2013 at 6:19 PM

Very difficult to prevent image theft but its good to make it difficult for them anyways....  Good Info....

jocko500 ( ) posted Sat, 16 February 2013 at 11:11 PM

there is robbers everywhere in all types of line of work. so sad

what you see is not what you know; it in your face

morningglory ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2013 at 7:11 AM

Any picture here you can zoom, click on and save to your computer.  I have been to other sites that do not allow this. Can't something be done here to prevent this downloading of pictures?

sharky_ ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2013 at 12:26 PM

Attached Link: http://www.naturefocused.com/articles/image-protection.html

There have been battles between rr members and staff members before about stolen pictures.  Nothing has gone further to strengthen image protection.  IF it doesn't happens, its rr right, they are the owners.  If they do change, it would be great for the rr members.  See attach link for [Tips and Techniques to Protect Images on the Internet](http://www.naturefocused.com/articles/image-protection.html) ..  Aloha....Errol

morningglory ( ) posted Mon, 25 February 2013 at 7:20 PM

Very interesting article, Errol.  Thank you.

3DGuy ( ) posted Tue, 26 February 2013 at 6:16 PM

Quote - Any picture here you can zoom, click on and save to your computer.  I have been to other sites that do not allow this. Can't something be done here to prevent this downloading of pictures?

If you can't download it, you can't view it. Even if you manage to somehow prevent directly saving the image to disk, a user can always use print-screen and get the image that way.

So the only way to prevent someone from downloading your pictures is... no uploading them to the web.

What is a friend? A single soul dwelling in two bodies. - Aristotle
-= Glass Eye Photography =- -= My Rendo Gallery =-

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.