Sun, Oct 6, 8:26 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Simulating Light Falloff with ZDepth Render

Paul Francis ( ) posted Sat, 02 February 2013 at 8:02 AM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 6:25 AM

Hi folks;

I use the Poser/Semideu ZDepth render a lot to simulate depth of field and atmospheric depth, and I wonder if anyone knows if it can be used to simulate light falloff?  I have a scene which is a bit flat, being lit with infinite lights; I don't want to mess with them and risk screwing it up, but I want the light to gradually fall off towards the rear of the scene and am thinking of doing it in Photoshop with the ZDepth render, but can't work out how to do it.

Any ideas?

My self-build system - Vista 64 on a Kingston 240GB SSD, Asus P5Q Pro MB, Quad 6600 CPU, 8 Gb Geil Black Dragon Ram, CoolerMaster HAF932 full tower chassis, EVGA Geforce GTX 750Ti Superclocked 2 Gb, Coolermaster V8 CPU aircooler, Enermax 600W Modular PSU, 240Gb SSD, 2Tb HDD storage, 28" LCD monitor, and more red LEDs than a grown man really needs.....I built it in 2008 and can't afford a new one, yet.....!

My Software - Poser Pro 2012, Photoshop, Bryce 6 and Borderlands......"Catch a  r--i---d-----e-----!"

monkeycloud ( ) posted Sat, 02 February 2013 at 8:26 AM · edited Sat, 02 February 2013 at 8:27 AM

Am I right in thinking the various image adjustment options in Photoshop will ignore selection mask... i.e. these options apply to the whole image, or layer?

If that's right, and it is only filters that can be applied to a selection mask, then I guess you'd have to use your z-depth derived selection mask(s) to make cut-outs of each depth level you want, and split these across a number of layers... I think that's the approach I'd go with and work something out from there?

e.g. maybe you could create a cut out of your background depth level(s) and create an overlay layer with that cut-out... i.e. have the cut-out on an overlay layer set to "Darken" mode perhaps... if you see what I'm getting at?

You'd likely want to fade the edges of your "Darken" mode overlays... especially if elements in your scene receded into the background more continuously, and you didn't want a sort of parallax effect.

Hopefully my description of what I mean makes some sense?

Not tried this technique... but it's my best immediate suggestion ;)

Paul Francis ( ) posted Sat, 02 February 2013 at 8:36 AM

Thanks for the tip - when Poser finishes hogging my CPU I'll give it a go. Might try adding black fog as well and see if that works!

My self-build system - Vista 64 on a Kingston 240GB SSD, Asus P5Q Pro MB, Quad 6600 CPU, 8 Gb Geil Black Dragon Ram, CoolerMaster HAF932 full tower chassis, EVGA Geforce GTX 750Ti Superclocked 2 Gb, Coolermaster V8 CPU aircooler, Enermax 600W Modular PSU, 240Gb SSD, 2Tb HDD storage, 28" LCD monitor, and more red LEDs than a grown man really needs.....I built it in 2008 and can't afford a new one, yet.....!

My Software - Poser Pro 2012, Photoshop, Bryce 6 and Borderlands......"Catch a  r--i---d-----e-----!"

moriador ( ) posted Sat, 02 February 2013 at 8:38 AM

Well, it's an intriguing idea, and I'm having great success doing the exact opposite of you want (in other words, making an area with strongly contrasting light appear to be more even and diffuse). But I also don't have a test image anything like what you describe.

PoserPro 2014, PS CS5.5 Ext, Nikon D300. Win 8, i7-4770 @ 3.4 GHz, AMD Radeon 8570, 12 GB RAM.

hborre ( ) posted Sat, 02 February 2013 at 9:27 AM

The only light falloff in Poser can only be accomplished with Inverse Square on the spot and point light sets.  That approach may be feasible for just Poser alone without major post render work.

Paul Francis ( ) posted Sat, 02 February 2013 at 9:35 AM

file_491252.jpg

The black fog was the way to go - thanks for the help though folks!

caisson ( ) posted Sat, 02 February 2013 at 11:47 AM

Monkeycloud - any image adjustment in Photoshop can be applied to a selection, it's not limited to filters.

So for Paul's needs here I'd paste the zdepth mask into a new Channel, then load selection, refine mask if needed, and work on a copy of the layer (toggle visibility on & off to see if the chages are working). Then just a case of experimenting with levels, curves, brightness etc.

Also easy to add painted elements like smoke etc this way too.

----------------------------------------

Not approved by Scarfolk Council. For more information please reread. Or visit my local shop.

caisson ( ) posted Sat, 02 February 2013 at 11:48 AM

Great image btw Paul!

----------------------------------------

Not approved by Scarfolk Council. For more information please reread. Or visit my local shop.

primorge ( ) posted Sat, 02 February 2013 at 12:43 PM

Very nice, very Fallout (which I'm playing at the moment. Alas, very evil again... sigh).

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.