Sun, Oct 6, 10:18 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Black screen when I use Firefly Render?

MikeMoss ( ) posted Sun, 03 February 2013 at 10:40 PM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 8:16 AM

Hi

I recently started getting a black screen when I do a render using Firefly Renderer.

Preview works fine, Sketch works fine but not Firefly.

It seems to go through the normal process, it shows what it's doing but when I get done the screen is just a blank black screen.

I may have messed up some setting messing around with it but I can't figure out what.

I thought I ask here before I reinstall and see if anyone has any ideas.

Mike

If you shoot a mime, do you need a silencer?

willyb53 ( ) posted Sun, 03 February 2013 at 10:44 PM

Is it for any scene or one particular scene?

can you render with a single figure with the camera in the default position?

is your camera below the ground line or outside of a sphere?

Bill

People that know everything by definition can not learn anything

paganeagle2001 ( ) posted Mon, 04 February 2013 at 9:17 AM

Load up Poser, go into your main work area and press your right mouse button.

Does it say OpenGL or SreeD?

Change it to the one it currently isn't. Eg - if OpenGL, change to SreeD.

Do a render and see if that cures it.

All the best.

LROG

Who honors those we love for the very life we live?, Who sends monsters to kill us?, and at the same time sings that we will never die., Who teaches us whats real?, and how to laugh at lies?, Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?, Who chains us?, and Who holds the key that can set us free... It's You!, You have all the weapons you need., Now Fight!

willyb53 ( ) posted Mon, 04 February 2013 at 9:22 AM

actually the OP stated preview was fine, so it is not an opengl /sreed issuse.

Bill

People that know everything by definition can not learn anything

vilters ( ) posted Mon, 04 February 2013 at 11:35 AM

BLACK usually means Poser can not find one of the textures.
Preview might still look OK, but the renderer can not find a texture.

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

lkendall ( ) posted Mon, 04 February 2013 at 12:26 PM

Without more information, we are shooting into the "dark".

You may also get a black render if your camera is in a wall or object. Sometimes, preview shows the scene, but rendering goes black. If this is the problem, move the camera closer and try again.

lmk

Probably edited for spelling, grammer, punctuation, or typos.

MikeMoss ( ) posted Mon, 04 February 2013 at 12:45 PM · edited Mon, 04 February 2013 at 12:46 PM

Hi

I can open Poser with just Andy in the frame.

Not make any changes to the scene.

Hit Render and I get a black screen, it doesn't have to do with content.

I can use Sketch Style and I get a render.

But if I use Firefly I get a black screen.

I'm using Open GL, and I reset all the Firefly settings to default

I don't have a clue what's going on, I've never run into this before.

It was working fine last week.

Mike

MistyLaraCarrara ( ) posted Mon, 04 February 2013 at 3:54 PM

can you show us a screenshot of your render settings?

at one point i was getting black renders cause i inadvertently changed the render output settings. there is a drop down arrow on the bottom right of the manual render settings window.  has to do with psd layers.

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

MikeMoss ( ) posted Mon, 04 February 2013 at 4:20 PM

Attached Link: http://s1238.beta.photobucket.com/user/nohjekim/media/PoserCapture_zpsaaa20d92.jpg.html

Hi 

Here it is on top of a view of the render screen after Andy has been rendered.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Mon, 04 February 2013 at 4:39 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

just 2 thoughts from someone who has no business putting her 2 cents worth in. One, try and see what happens when you turn on raytracing in your render settings. Two, check your lights, are they on and don't have both the diffuse and the specular set to black. I know this is kind of simple but sometime we over look this simple trying to fide the diffucult problem.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

Eric Walters ( ) posted Mon, 04 February 2013 at 8:25 PM

Quote - All I see is a thumbnail
Hi 

Here it is on top of a view of the render screen after Andy has been rendered.

MikeMoss ( ) posted Mon, 04 February 2013 at 10:53 PM

Hi Everyone!

The problem is fixed.

After going through the General preferences I saw that Render was set to be a separate process (I don't really know what that means) but when I unchecked the check box it started working again.

Maybe someone can tell me when you would use that option?

I probably did this myself I know I set the number of threads to 32, and I may have clicked this just to see what happens.

Now I know. LOL

Thanks for the suggestions everybody.

Mike

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 04 February 2013 at 11:01 PM

they may have set FFRender as separate process to better use physical RAM, but try threads as 2X cores.  in current version(s), it may be necessary to shut down and restart poser if black screen during FFRender.  I don't know if this is an OS X issue with poor memory management, or if it's a cross-platform issue.

WandW ( ) posted Tue, 05 February 2013 at 6:11 AM

I've always used Render as a Separate Process since Poser 7 without issue, but I'm using Windows.

Just a thought; could it be some sort of permissions issue for FFrender?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 05 February 2013 at 11:21 AM

That shouldn't be an issue, however the manual does state that separate process should be reserved for complex scenes; simple scenes don't require it.

MikeMoss ( ) posted Tue, 05 February 2013 at 11:33 AM

Attached Link: Here is my Settings window.

Hi

I'm running Windows 8, and I guess I've always run in what ever the default setting is.

But I tried turning it back to Render as a Separate Process and it quit working again.

So that's definitely what's causing the problem.

I have 32 Gigs of ram, and a new version i7 processer running at 3.6 Ghz, and a nVidia Geforce 680 vidio card. so it's not a matter of computer performance.

I would like to ask what, Run in Background thread, does, and which way it should be set and for what reason?

Mike

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 05 February 2013 at 12:47 PM

BTW, you can post your images directly within the thread.  The options can be found below.

wimvdb ( ) posted Tue, 05 February 2013 at 12:53 PM · edited Tue, 05 February 2013 at 12:54 PM

After you install Poser and run it for the first time, Windows will prompt you to allow access through the firewall for the program. In case of Poser it will ask for Poser.exe or PoserPro.exe. If you set external process On and you start the first render after that, it will prompt you for FFRender.exe or FFRender64.exe. If you deny access, it will not run.

For whatever reason (problems during install, accidentally saying No, or whatever), Windows thinks FFRender is not allowed to run (or access the network) and it will stop, leaving you with a black render

How to check this or change it: Go to the control panel, select Windows Firewall, then select "Allow an app or feature through the firewall". There you should add FFRender or change the permission to allow it to go through the firewall (private network)

If that was already correct,. it may be an issue with another firewall or AV product

MikeMoss ( ) posted Tue, 05 February 2013 at 3:33 PM

Hi

You may be on the right track, I didn't think of that but I have had problems with the Windows firwall, (it won't start) so I installed another firewall in it's place.

That may be when I started having the render problems.

I'll check it out.

Mike

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.