Sun, Oct 6, 7:39 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: WIP: a custom chopper

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 03 February 2013 at 4:33 AM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 5:25 AM

file_491284.png

I took my script for my online comic in a different direction, and this prop is a major part of it now.

I just have the frame, handle bars, front forks, the wheels and tires and the front brakes done. You are seeing about 4 hours of work. I used some very simple procedural shaders just so you can make out the different parts.

I am going to put a beefy twin V engine in there and a shaft drive. I am not sure what else I may do, but the handle bars will probably change.

If it looks as good when it's done as it's starting to look now, I will post it in the freebies if anyone wants it. Just let me know.

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

vilters ( ) posted Sun, 03 February 2013 at 9:03 AM

Looks amizing so far.
Good Job...... Well done.

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 03 February 2013 at 9:14 AM

Thanks!

I am working on the shaft drive now. It's coming along pretty good. Updates in a day or two...

If I had a nickle for ever time a woman told me to get lost, I could buy Manhattan.

Saxon3d ( ) posted Sun, 03 February 2013 at 5:25 PM

I have one chopper and one trike in my runtime so far, could always use another, it's looking good so far.........

jerr3d ( ) posted Sun, 03 February 2013 at 5:32 PM

Looks great! Good decision to not do old style rims with 20-30 round spokes! ^ ^

heddheld ( ) posted Sun, 03 February 2013 at 5:41 PM

opps avoid speed bumps ;-)

grichter ( ) posted Sun, 03 February 2013 at 5:42 PM

Hmm looks like Orange Choppers move a little south :laugh:

Looks good so far. Look forwared to your updates.

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

Ravyns ( ) posted Sun, 03 February 2013 at 10:24 PM

Looking Good rokket..

**************************************************************************************

Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we're here we should dance.

rokket ( ) posted Tue, 05 February 2013 at 6:13 AM · edited Tue, 05 February 2013 at 6:19 AM

file_491359.png

Thanks for the responses!

Here is my update:

What I've done so far is to scale the frame down a bit, I modeled the engine and shaft drive and repositioned the tires. I still have to model the fuel injectors, the battery box, oil pan, yada yada.

And I decided to make this a liquid cooled engine, so I am going to model a radiator. I am still not sold on the handle bars. You can't tell from the pic, but they aim back toward the rider. I may put the hand grips, brake and clutch levers on there and see how it looks. I am a long way off, but I am getting there. Still some detailing to go on the engine, and I have to make the transmission.

I can see a couple of errors in there already, but they are fixable. The forks where they intercept the frame for one, and there are some artifacts in the rear wheel.

One interesting side note: there are no cubes in this model yet. It's all cylinders. I think my first cube will probably be the radiator.

rokket ( ) posted Tue, 05 February 2013 at 6:15 AM

Quote - Looks great! Good decision to not do old style rims with 20-30 round spokes! ^ ^

Funny thing is, I know how to do that, but I decided I didn't want to spend 3 days on the rim. I like the custom rims better anyhow.

rokket ( ) posted Tue, 05 February 2013 at 6:18 AM

Quote - Hmm looks like Orange Choppers move a little south :laugh:

Looks good so far. Look forwared to your updates.

Yeah, I took a little inspiration from that show. I've watch enough episodes of it that I almost don't need to use reference pics! I just need to figure out how I am going to attach the back wheel. With the shaft drive on there, I can't use an axel. I am thinking of struts and shocks. I have seen a bike built like that.

Saxon3d ( ) posted Tue, 05 February 2013 at 3:40 PM

i honestly think what would look great as handlebars , is just a standard straight short bar, but maybe a scrolled brake and clutch lever

rokket ( ) posted Wed, 06 February 2013 at 5:48 AM

file_491398.png

> Quote - i honestly think what would look great as handlebars , is just a standard straight short bar, but maybe a scrolled brake and clutch lever

I agree. I am going to redo the handle bars later. Right now I am still in the midst of getting the rest of it done. I've slowed down a bit, but I am still chugging along.

Here is the latest.

I modelled the battery box and a temporary tank.

Actually, the tank is gone now, and I just finished the starter and enlarged the cylinders a bit more. But you can't see that in this render.

rokket ( ) posted Wed, 06 February 2013 at 5:49 AM

file_491399.png

Here is the work I did last night on the shaft drive, rear brakes and associated fittings.

rokket ( ) posted Wed, 06 February 2013 at 5:49 AM

file_491400.png

And last, a closer view of the battery box with the battery inside.

rokket ( ) posted Wed, 06 February 2013 at 5:51 AM

As I stated earlier, the tank is now gone. I am going to go for something different. I am thinking to model the tank and seat as one unit like a crotch rocket and see how that looks.

vilters ( ) posted Wed, 06 February 2013 at 9:29 AM

Whaw, you are putting a lot of work into this.
I respect your love for detail.

Poser 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, P8 and PPro2010, P9 and PP2012, P10 and PP2014 Game Dev
"Do not drive faster then your angel can fly"!

Ragtopjohnny ( ) posted Wed, 06 February 2013 at 11:12 AM

Rocket, your work is growing in leaps and bounds.  Great job on this one. so far! :)

Poser Pro 2012/3DS Max 2013/Adobe Photoshop Elements 10/Zbrush/

PC: HP Z820 Workstation, 3.30 ghz 8 core Intel Processor, 2gig nvidia Quadro, 16 gig of Ram and 2TB Hard Drive.

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 09 February 2013 at 4:21 AM · edited Sat, 09 February 2013 at 4:22 AM

file_491461.png

Thanks for the looks, gents!

And here is an update:

I now have the headlight, tail light, the seat, sissy bar, a new tank, hand grips, and a highway bar.

I have already modeled the brake and clutch handles, a suicide shifter and the belt for the drive train. I just haven't put the textures on the new model. Eye strain, you know...

I need to start tweaking the scaling now. When I loaded Simon into the scene, his feet were almost 12 inches off the ground with him in the seat. The frame is too tall. No bid deal, I can tweak that in a day or two.

But the model is almost 89,000 polygons and growing....

EDIT: You will notice that the drive gears on the side of the model aren't perfectly round. I didn't notice that when I scaled it, but it's fixed now. There is a drive belt there now, and the suicide shifter on the other side.

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 09 February 2013 at 4:28 AM

After I get the tweaks done, I am going to see about UV mapping the tank. I want to put a custom paint job on there. If it works, great. If not, I still like what I have here. All of these textures are just temporary procedurals. I will probably do something very similar when it's done. I toyed with the idea of using BB's shaders, but I want to learn the material room a lot more, so I will do them myself. I looked at some of his stuff in the material room, and since I am mathmatically challenged, I couldn't make heads of tails of it. So I will stick with what I know: simple, 1 or 2 node shaders that are good enough for me.

If I do put this in the freebies, I will probably change it all.

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 09 February 2013 at 4:38 AM

file_491462.png

A couple shots without shaders to show the details that I put in. In the first one, you can see the drive belt and the brake and clutch levers.

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 09 February 2013 at 4:38 AM

file_491463.png

And here is a shot showing the suicide shifter.

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 09 February 2013 at 4:40 AM

Nothing much left except the for the scale tweaks to get it to fit my characters. Then it's back to the script...

rokket ( ) posted Sat, 09 February 2013 at 5:56 AM

I am now considering removing the sissy bar and back seat. Makes the bike look wrong.

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 10 February 2013 at 3:37 AM

file_491494.png

It's almost done.  I still have to model the kickstand and that should be about it. I redid the brake and clutch levers too. They don't look right to me. The shaders are pretty close to what I am going to use. I am going to change the seat materials a little, but otherwise I am happy. I dropped the idea of doing a custom paint job on the tank. It's too much work. The UV map of the tank was a mess. I will try to redo the UV map at another date if I am not already tired of this model.

I modelled the mirrors and have them in place, you just can't see them on this model because I did them right before I got online. It takes awhile to load all those shaders and render this bad boy.

So, 103,988 polygons, 44 material groups... and it's not done yet.

This one isn't going to be a quick render item by any stretch of the imagination.

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 10 February 2013 at 3:37 AM

file_491495.png

Here's a look at the other side...

rokket ( ) posted Sun, 10 February 2013 at 4:00 AM

Oh, and the remodeled clutch and brake levers will be on the final render, which should be in a couple days or so, depending on how the kickstand goes.

So, big question: does anyone want this 100,000 poly beast?

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 11 February 2013 at 3:56 AM

file_491538.png

The kickstand.

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 11 February 2013 at 3:57 AM

file_491539.png

A view from the other side.

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 11 February 2013 at 3:57 AM

file_491540.png

Finally, the most complicated model I have ever made is done!

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 11 February 2013 at 3:59 AM

file_491541.png

The other side, showing the kickstand up. I haven't rigged it yet. I won't do that unless I get enough interest in it to put it in the freebies section. That would be a lot of work for a feature that I won't use myself.

rokket ( ) posted Mon, 11 February 2013 at 4:02 AM

So post in here if you want it. Or PM me, either way.

The final tally on the polygon count is 112,615. There are 45 material zones, but most of the shaders are 1 or 2 nodes only. I have been rendering with IDL on and using BB's envirosphere with a sky panaramic. It takes awhile to render, and I don't know if it looks good without IDL and the envirosphere.

monkeycloud ( ) posted Tue, 12 February 2013 at 9:58 AM

This looks fantastic Rokket.

Well worth the poly count I think... just means it's a center stage item... and with the detail it could more than stand up to that :)

Snarlygribbly ( ) posted Tue, 12 February 2013 at 12:14 PM

Quote - Finally, the most complicated model I have ever made is done!

And it looks superb.

Free stuff @ https://poser.cobrablade.net/

Saxon3d ( ) posted Tue, 12 February 2013 at 1:31 PM

count me in for freestuff rokket :)   the ayes have it.................

Ravyns ( ) posted Tue, 12 February 2013 at 9:23 PM

Your bike is Awesome! rokket.  I'm sure there are a lot of people who'd like to have it.

**************************************************************************************

Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we're here we should dance.

rokket ( ) posted Wed, 13 February 2013 at 3:25 AM

Ok, that's enough for me. I will have it in the freebies section as soon as I get the kickstand rigged. It will have two options: 0 - kickstand up, bike fully erect; and 1 - kickstand down and bike leaning on it.

There are also a couple o texture maps I have to rename because I was using them on something else. They are just 512x512 colors, but I used them instead of the diffuse color picker for consistancy.

Watch the freebies section, I probably won't post a thread about it.

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2013 at 5:12 AM

I put the static model in the freebies section. I am going to start working on the rigged figure sometime this weekend. It's going to be a little tricky, since there are 44 different materials in this thing. Maybe for the rigged model, I will truncate the materials and combine those that are similar...

rokket ( ) posted Fri, 15 February 2013 at 7:19 AM · edited Fri, 15 February 2013 at 7:19 AM

My bad, there are 45 material zones in this thing. I figured out that I can't really combine the material groups because it would do crazy things to the props it would spawn. So I have to do some careful editing in the hierarchy editor and see about locking the X.Y,Z translation on the bulk of the model. I am only going for handle bars that turn and the kickstand up and down with the bike leaning on the kick.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.