Mon, Oct 21, 10:35 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 17 8:34 am)

Subject: Re-use Indirect Lighting causing renders to take 6X longer AND adds noise?!?

timoteo1 ( ) posted Fri, 29 March 2013 at 11:09 AM · edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 7:59 PM

I'm using Vue 10.5 Infinite, and was doing some GR renders (an animation), and decided to try out Re-use Indirect Lighting.  I know this will NOT be used when creating the animation, but I thought I would try it out to speed up individual frame renders when setting things up.

However, what is really bizzare is, turning on this option actually increased render time dramatically (6 TIMES or MORE!) and it added a bunch of noise/grain.  (see the images below)

NOT Using Re-use IDL (render time: 1' 15")

NOT Using Re-use IDL

WITH RE-USE IDL ON** ** (render time: 6' 21" !!)

WITH RE-USED IDL ON

Notice how grainy and ugly the second picture is, and how long it took to render.  (The rendered animation of the first setting is devoid of any noise (other than shadow softness).  I can only imagine what would be produced if I had this option turned-on ... unless Vue automatically turns it off when you render an animation.

Any idea why this is happening??  I'll continue with further observations in my next post.

-Tim

timoteo1 ( ) posted Fri, 29 March 2013 at 11:14 AM · edited Fri, 29 March 2013 at 11:15 AM

I thought maybe it had something to do with that first scene being a Poser import, but removed the Poser object and setup a simple sphere and tree, and as you'll see .... same exact result:

Simple Scene - WithoutREUSE IDL (Render time: 0' 24") Simple Scene - Without REUSE IDL

Simple Scene - WITHREUSE IDL (Render Time: 2' 48" !!)

Simple Scene - WITH REUSE IDL

ShawnDriscoll ( ) posted Fri, 29 March 2013 at 11:12 PM · edited Fri, 29 March 2013 at 11:13 PM

Set Vue back to it's defaults.  Restart Vue with just default scene lighting and insert a sphere.  Turn on GR lighting and do it again.  Vue 10 had so many bugs I had to go back to 9.5.

www.youtube.com/user/ShawnDriscollCG

bruno021 ( ) posted Sat, 30 March 2013 at 7:19 AM

Reuse indirect lighting is not intended if thae camera is animated (at least prior to Vue 11), the added noise is the consequence of a non existant previous illumination. Vue tries to reuse what it already stores, but parts are missing, or are wrong, hence the noise. If immumination wasn't computed, then there is now way to reuse it. Vue 11 can do it now, because they changed the way this feature works.

timoteo1 ( ) posted Sat, 30 March 2013 at 4:09 PM

Ahhh, that would do it.  Seems silly that it would work that way -- I realize it is impractical for the actual rendering of the animation, but to not be able to use it to setup that animation is impractical.  My system is pretty smoking, so it wasn't a HUGE deal to not have the ability, but I'm glad to learn this has been redeemed in Vue11.

I've been putting off installing Vue11, thanks for giving me one more reason to get on it.  

Take care. 

bruno021 ( ) posted Mon, 01 April 2013 at 3:41 AM

You can always bake the indirect illumination on objects before starting the rendering of the animation, provided these objects are not vue objects (terrains, plants,etc), an dthat the lighting is consistent throughout the whole animation.

timoteo1 ( ) posted Mon, 01 April 2013 at 5:27 AM

Quote - You can always bake the indirect illumination on objects before starting the rendering of the animation, provided these objects are not vue objects (terrains, plants,etc), an dthat the lighting is consistent throughout the whole animation.

Right, but that is not the isssue -- I wanted to take advantage of the "RE-use IDL" feature for when I am setting up my scene, and baking only helps at render time -- or so I thought.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.