Mon, Oct 21, 11:23 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Blender

Welcome to the Blender Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433 Forum Coordinators: LuxXeon

Blender F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 20 9:34 pm)

Welcome to the Blender Forum!

Your place to learn about Blender, ask questions,
   exchange ideas, and interact with the other Blender users!

Gallery | Freestuff | Tutorials

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace. Your source for digital art content!

Subject: texture export help needed

3eighty ( ) posted Tue, 02 April 2013 at 10:13 PM · edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 8:57 PM

I downloaded a nice model from Blender Swap in .obj format.  Along with it was the .mtl file.  When I import it into Bryce there are no textures.  Was I supposed to do something special to ensure that the textures came along...How do I get the textures out of the .mtl

Thank You

keppel ( ) posted Tue, 02 April 2013 at 10:16 PM

The .mtl file does not contain any textures it just contains the texture file path information.  In the zip file that you downloaded was there any texture files included?

My Renderosity Store
Virtual Furnishing
My Portfolio

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 03 April 2013 at 2:20 AM

.mtl only shows the obj where the materials are, what they are and where they go. If you put the included textures in the same folder with the obj and the mtl file they should show up in Bryce when you import.

Laurie

3eighty ( ) posted Wed, 03 April 2013 at 10:42 AM

Thanks for answering so soon..As an .obj download there were no text files in .rar..Only the .mtl file...Should I convert if to a diff export formst from blender?

LaurieA ( ) posted Wed, 03 April 2013 at 10:44 AM

No textures included? Them I'm afraid you'll have to make the textures yourself, or pass. :(

Laurie

DramaKing ( ) posted Wed, 03 April 2013 at 12:19 PM

A link to the Blendswap page would be helpful, just to confirm that there are no textures. This is entirely possible as not all models have textures included.

It is better to do one thing well, than to do many things and excel at nothing.

3eighty ( ) posted Wed, 03 April 2013 at 6:20 PM

I just realized I have been saying this wrong...When I open the downloaded file in Blender, the textures ARE there..It's when I export them as an .obj file that I lose the texture....Perhaps I didn't check something in exporting?

Thank you all for your help..Nice models made in blender

Hope to get this fixed soon..

keppel ( ) posted Wed, 03 April 2013 at 9:18 PM

The textures have probably been packed into the blend file on saving.  

Try this:

Open the file (.blend) you downloaded from Blendswap in Blender.

Go to File>External Data>Unpack into files

Select from the options that come up now - Write Files to Current Directory

If you navigate back to the folder that has the Blendswap .blend there should now be a folder named "textures" which contains the texture files.

Back in Blender export the model to .obj format saving it into the folder with the textures.  

Open Bryce and import the model.  If you get an error message about not finding textures just continue on, Bryce should then open up a window so you can browse to the textures but if you saved the .obj to the same folder then you should already be there.  If you are in the folder with the textures click on open otherwise navigate to where this folder is.  Back in Bryce the textures should now have been applied and it should render correctly.

My Renderosity Store
Virtual Furnishing
My Portfolio

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.